Author Topic: The problem with this forum  (Read 629 times)

zedd151

The problem with this forum
« on: September 05, 2022, 11:05:24 PM »

The problem with this forum:

It is becoming increasingly harder to post any worthwhile code here without the thread posted in becoming a 3 ring circus. There is no ability for a forum member to lock a thread to avoid a mountain of crap being posted in a thread that was intended for comments or criticism regarding the Topic in First Post (a second thread can be created for discussion about it). There is a growing trend here where certain members are overly critical in a negative and unhelpful way; and other members posting code (or in attachment) in a format that does not resemble x86 assembly, no batch file to assemble it and several things have to be commented out or omitted entirely for the source to be assemblable with ml+link.
    In my recent topic Draw Bitmap procedure there are only 3 posts regarding the original topic. I decided not even complain about the criticism of my coding style letting it slide as I didn't want to argue over it. Anyway the point being here is that anyone else looking at that thread would have to wade through the 'heap' of off topic crap to see if anything regarding the original topic is discussed within the bulls***. I even gave up on keeping the thread on topic and joined in the madness. I thought that the code and example I posted (in original post) was worthwile, was fully tested by me and doesn't contain any questionable code - but is now buried in a trash heap.

Regarding the locking of a topic so no crap gets posted there: Is there a way hutch-- that that could be arranged without having to interrupt your day with a request to do so?
   What I'm asking is there a way to enable the ability for users to lock their own topic? Is it even possible? I am not asking for any special treatment. I don't need a subforum specially for my postings, nor do I need or desire a superficial Moderator title, or any other title for that matter.
Nugget and Gypsy Youtube channel. New videos twice a week or so. If you like the videos, please subscribe and comment.  :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: The problem with this forum
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2022, 12:25:47 AM »
Let me connect something to you, I write code because I enjoy doing so and I run this forum so that many other people who also enjoy coding can do so but I don't run it to referee other people sh*t fights or dictates. Over time its easier to list where we don't have members from, Antarctica (as penguins have problems with keyboards).

Now with a massive diversity of people from equally diverse backgrounds, running this forum is a balancing act of many different interests and noone dictates to everyone else as diversity of opinion is simply the way of the world.

There are time when I wonder "what the f*ck am I doing here" when I have to keep shovelling other people's sh*t when what I actually want to see is people writing their own code and helping others who are learning coding in assembler.

One day I will eventually get jack of it and think "f*ck it" and pull the plug. The forum costs me about a grand AU each year and the web site is useful personally as an email address.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

zedd151

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2022, 01:03:06 AM »

I write code because I enjoy doing so
Me too.
Quote from: hutch--
I run this forum so that many other people who also enjoy coding can do so
I thank you for that.
but I don't run it to referee other people sh*t fights or dictates.
But you could moderate sometimes, and remind to keep people to keep on topic as is the case with most other forums I have been a member of. That would go a long way with alleviating some of the issues here. (just a suggestion, not a demand)
...noone dictates to everyone else.
As it should be.
...what I actually want to see is people writing their own code and helping others who are learning coding in assembler.
I would love that too. But... ~
The forum costs me about a grand AU each year and the web site is useful personally as an email address.
Open a gofundme, I'll gladly contribute $.

At any rate I can see why over the last couple years (at least) many skilled coders have left this forum. Hopefully things will get better. But I get frustrated with the amount of BS that gets shoveled around, especially when it affects me personally.
Okay, [/rant off]
I'll go and hide somewhere now.
Nugget and Gypsy Youtube channel. New videos twice a week or so. If you like the videos, please subscribe and comment.  :biggrin:

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 02:26:45 AM »
Although I suppose that all of us who upload something in the forum expect the satisfaction of some recognition, I think that the mistake is in expecting that when you deposit a precious asset of yours in a public square, everyone will treat it with the same love as you would did it.

In any case, I think you were doing very well with your little game examples. If I didn't tell you before, I'll take the opportunity now to recognize it  :thumbsup: .
The logic of the error is hidden among the most unexpected lines of the program

zedd151

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2022, 03:59:26 AM »
Hi, caballero. It really has nothing to do with recognition. But thank you for you support.
I don't like to be talked down to, treated like a child or worse an idiot all of which has happened since I reinstated my account here. I used to have much respect for certain members here, who apparently have no desire to return to me the same level of respect. Will not get into details as I don't want to start a war here and get kicked out.
At any rate I will keep posting, but will only post source code in it's finished form. No longer will I post any coding experiments. I will of course still experiment but I'll keep that part of it to myself.  :cool:

NoCforMe

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2022, 06:07:30 AM »
If I may be permitted a comment here, I'm not sure what all the fuss is about. Sure, there's thread drift here, as there is in pretty much any online forum; it kind of comes with the territory. But it's easy enough to scroll on past the posts you're not interested in here to get to the good stuff. And there is a lot of good stuff here; the signal-to-noise ratio is still pretty high, and a lot of useful, even critically useful information is still to be found here.

So my vote would be against that kind of censorship. And I don't think Hutch needs yet another burden here. My thanks to him for providing this as a service.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 09:20:21 AM »
Z,

This forum is a forum of members, not a paid help desk and it will never have the user ownership of threads as it would be subject to a massive level of abuse that you get to see in some other forums. One of the design features in this forum is robust alternatives and criticism, this is how code gets kicked to death to make it faster, more reliable or feature rich.

I still belong to another forum that suffers all of the defects that this one avoids, people ganging up on each other, endless sh*t fights, influence peddling, self appointed gurus, politically correct code from the aforementioned self appointed gurus and the nonsense goes on and on etc .....

There is a difference between someone taking the p*ss out of you and having a different opinion to you. Pointing it back at me with the requirement that I change how this forum works so its like the many failures and defects that others suffer from is not going to happen, you can do BOTH friendly and robust at the same time, just takes a bit of practice.

Now with such deep and meaningful discourse being done, I am off for my morning cappucino, the joys of living in a sensible friendly world.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

zedd151

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2022, 01:05:13 PM »
...Pointing it back at me with the requirement that I change how this forum works...
Sorry, but I never made any demands. Any requests I've made were in the form of a question or query. And any suggestions made were just that, suggestions. In either case a simple no would have sufficed.
I will not mention these issues again, have a nice day and enjoy that cappucino. :thup:

NoCforMe

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2022, 01:29:13 PM »
Well, don't go away mad. In fact, don't go away at all. Still lots and lots to discuss here.

I could use a cappuccino myself right about now ...

zedd151

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2022, 01:35:59 PM »
Well, don't go away mad...
I ain't going anywhere.  :undecided:
I could use a cappuccino myself right about now ...
If you hurry, you could prolly catch up with hutch--, he was leaving to get one.

daydreamer

• my kind of REAL10 Blonde
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2022, 08:45:54 PM »
In any case, I think you were doing very well with your little game examples. If I didn't tell you before, I'll take the opportunity now to recognize it  :thumbsup: .
I agree  :thumbsup:
but sometimes it also inspires other members to try their version of for example game/demo/other program or library

my none asm creations
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

Mikl__

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2022, 08:31:35 PM »
Your dream is easy to fulfill

daydreamer

• my kind of REAL10 Blonde
I apologize to everyone on this forum
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2022, 06:13:53 PM »
I decided to start behave and minimize noise post from myself and go back to coding combined with make graphics
I am free to waste my own time in ways it doesnt make everyone else suffers wasting their time on noise/get annoyed making the forum a less happier place
my none asm creations
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

Raistlin

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2022, 07:19:23 AM »
Just 'chiming-in' or 'like', 'basic', 'omg' or those sayings these days. (I do not subscribe to that btw  :rolleyes:)
'May I interrupt' is not wording I may possibly afford. Plainly guys and dolls, we all know what this forum is = Very dear to our hearts. Thus refrain from snubbing each other. The problem is not you, but free speach within a worldly environ of wanting or transferring knowledge. Thus 'crap', 'garbage', 'excrement', 'effluent'... you get the picture... happens. Z had valid issues - no doubt, juxteposed with: wanted constructive feedback, got troll or non-help instead, then went pearshaped ending in dissapointment (their personal context assumed) / Solution: use forum private mail as outreach if viable consideration. Outcome: knowledge transfer, quality  & transparency reduced = diminishing value for a public facing, one of a kind platform. Null wins. On cellphone, please excuse typos and layout.
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...