Author Topic: Forum search function...  (Read 438 times)

zedd151

Forum search function...
« on: September 21, 2022, 12:30:40 PM »
I know that the search function is part of the SMF software...
There is an irritating thing that it does if it does not find any results for a search. First it asks you if you want to revise the search terms. So upon entering something else, an error pops up saying it's been less than 30 seconds since the last search. No kidding, really? But the first search didn't return anything, so this should still be considered the same search, only revised.  :eusa_boohoo:      <--- hutch--           Me---->   :undecided:
 :joking: <--- everyone else.  :tongue:
Just irritating I tell ya, irritating... happened three times today
Nugget and Gypsy Youtube channel. New videos twice a week or so. If you like the videos, please subscribe and comment.  :biggrin:

NoCforMe

Re: Forum search function...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2022, 02:05:20 PM »
The forum software is somewhat brain-damaged, that's for sure. Another small irritant: no "next" or "prev" controls where there's a list of pages.

Oh, well. Steve'll send you a TS card if you file a complaint ... (non-native English speakers can ask me what that means ...)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2022, 03:59:12 PM »
 :biggrin:  :badgrin:  :tongue:  :skrewy: :wink2:  :nie:  :dazzled:  :eusa_clap:  :eusa_dance:  :eusa_naughty:  :joking:  :rofl:

I take these issues very seriously. Bottom line is I did not write the PHP forum software, I have every dangerous thing turned off and it ain't gunna change.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2022, 07:19:57 PM »
an error pops up saying it's been less than 30 seconds since the last search

I hate that one, too :thumbsup:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2022, 08:14:27 PM »
It is for good reason, it stops flooding search requests.
hutch at movsd dot com

NoCforMe

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2022, 08:17:47 PM »
What, does that put too big a load on your servers? Is there really that much search traffic?

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2022, 08:18:16 PM »
It is for good reason, it stops flooding search requests.

Sure, but isn't there an option to set the 30 seconds limit for non-members only?

zedd151

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2022, 08:20:12 PM »
At least we dont get a cryptic Kaptcha  :thumbsup:
Nugget and Gypsy Youtube channel. New videos twice a week or so. If you like the videos, please subscribe and comment.  :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 08:31:03 PM »
 :biggrin:

> Sure, but isn't there an option to set the 30 seconds limit for non-members only?

That allows anyone who sneaks in to become a member THEN flood the forum search. It seems you guys are not familiar with the number of ways to attack a forum.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 08:45:52 PM »
Which triggers the old question: No way to put a member on probation? So that in the first week of membership, he cannot put links to kìtchèn services etc into his posts, cannot advertise a website in his signature, and cannot flood the forum search? I would consider that an essential feature for any forum...

zedd151

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 08:46:33 PM »
For me hutch, that's ok I deal with it if it comes up. There is always "site:www.masm32.com + search term" on goggle.  :biggrin:  But that involves extra typing.  :tongue:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 08:49:31 PM »
 :biggrin:

> I would consider that an essential feature for any forum...

Sounds like you have a future career in PHP.  :skrewy:
hutch at movsd dot com

zedd151

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 10:29:20 PM »
Since we're on the subject of the SMF software, what are the "Polls" and "Votes" referring to in my profile stats page? I'd like to take a poll and vote on some things.  :cool:
Apparently unused on this forum. Is that one er, um two things that you disabled? Oh wait, no. Nevermind. I wouldn't want to get myself and my sometimes backassward code voted out the door.  :tongue:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 10:58:28 PM »
Securing a forum is a pain but if you don't, it disappears. The bottom line is the forum is layed out in this manner for security reasons.

Be certain that it will not be changed to suit anyone's preference. Through 3 different software packages, it has been running for over 20 years.
hutch at movsd dot com

NoCforMe

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 04:07:34 AM »
So I'm curious, Hutch, what kinds of attacks you've gotten over the years on this site. Have there been targetted attacks (like DOS), or just random stuff? Anything bad enough to bring the site down if you didn't protect it?

I'm certainly no expert in this area, just know what I've read on the subject here and there.