Author Topic: my editor project  (Read 6616 times)

TimoVJL

Re: my editor project
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2022, 05:59:46 PM »
What are those reasons not to use IDE ?
May the source be with you

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2022, 06:03:13 PM »
Show me an IDE better than this, and I'll change my mind, Timo.

NoCforMe

« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2022, 06:07:08 PM »
Well, if you're asking me, it's because I look at (most) IDEs as "sandboxes", which I don't need in order to write programs. Maybe I'm somewhat "old school" in my approach; my "workflow" consists of 1) an editor (I'm just starting to use my own editor which I described here), 2) a 4DOS command window where I run my batch files that assemble and link my program, and 3) Explorer, where I run the program after I'm lucky enough to have it link. No need for a warm, welcoming, enveloping programming "environment" for me.

What's your setup?

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2022, 06:10:30 PM »
my "workflow" consists of 1) an editor (I'm just starting to use my own editor which I described here), 2) a 4DOS command window where I run my batch files that assemble and link my program, and 3) Explorer, that builds and runs my program when I hit F6 (and jumps to the offending line if there is an error)

TimoVJL

« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2022, 06:21:27 PM »
Well, if you're asking me, it's because I look at (most) IDEs as "sandboxes", which I don't need in order to write programs. Maybe I'm somewhat "old school" in my approach; my "workflow" consists of 1) an editor (I'm just starting to use my own editor which I described here), 2) a 4DOS command window where I run my batch files that assemble and link my program, and 3) Explorer, where I run the program after I'm lucky enough to have it link. No need for a warm, welcoming, enveloping programming "environment" for me.

What's your setup?
I use several tools. Pelles C poide is my favorite. I also use a lot Notepad2,

@jj2007 a your RichMasm Editor is in grey area, a special editor  :biggrin:
May the source be with you

NoCforMe

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »
No, his editor isn't just "special": it's basically a full-blown IDE. You can assemble and link inside it; that's the hallmark of an IDE if I ever saw one.

daydreamer

• my kind of REAL10 Blonde
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2022, 06:40:46 PM »
Nocforme ,i thought draw flowchart before project is much more oldschool :tongue:

Newschool is when i am away from my pcs and only have my tablet,pseudocode in that editor if i get any idea or look at code
Now i done it so much,i learned its vocalubary register names,most common mnemonics proc,endp,if,else,endif,switch,case
my none asm creations
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

NoCforMe

« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 06:42:34 PM »
Nocforme ,i thought draw flowchart before project is much more oldschool :tongue:

You may laugh, but I actually do that, draw stuff on paper before even touching the keyboard: flowcharts, data structures, etc. I find it essential for certain projects that make my head hurt.

And yeah, you get to type some stuff from memory. Like I can't even count how many times I end up typing
Code: [Select]
invoke wsprintf, addr buffer, offset format_string, [variables to display]
invoke MessageBox, NULL, addr buffer, NULL, MB_OK

to take a peek at some variable I want to debug (I always have a local named "buffer[256]" ready for this task ...)

zedd151

« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2022, 07:12:41 PM »
Here is what I have so far...
Cleaned up the main source file and added some commenting, which I will be adding more as the project progresses. Some more work needs to be done in regard to reading settings from, and writing changed settings to the ini file.
Right now background and text colors are read from the ini file at startup, as is the font name and size. Have not yet added the code to change font within the program. But the font can still be changed right now by manually editing the ini file.

Attachment 'basic editor5.zip' removed but is included in the archive In this post
« Last Edit: November 17, 2022, 12:36:36 PM by zedd151 »
Regards, zedd.
:tongue:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 07:21:40 PM »
No, his editor isn't just "special": it's basically a full-blown IDE. You can assemble and link inside it; that's the hallmark of an IDE if I ever saw one.

That's very kind of you, David, thanks, but we should move the discussion here in order not to spoil Z's thread ;-)

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 07:37:55 PM »
Here is what I have so far...

Works like a charm :thumbsup:

How did you move the Options menu to the right? That's a neat trick, but I didn't find your code searching for "menu" :sad:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 08:18:51 PM »
Long ago I learnt that editors/IDEs are like the choice of girlfriends, simply a matter of taste. Some folks like to write code in an old fashioned Notepad style editor. At the other end some like to use full blown, fully featured IDEs complete with video, sound and even MUZAK. I come somewhere inbetween, I refuse to code in anything that is not a pure ASCII editor, I don't want intellisense, I don't want auto syntax checking, I want an editor that accepts what I type in with no claptrap.

For years I have coded editors that have programmable menus as I want a massive number of things available without having to go looking for them and the last couple also have a scripting engine that can be used to automate a number of tasks. Editors are each to their own.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

zedd151

« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2022, 12:57:50 AM »

I want an editor that accepts what I type in with no claptrap.
:biggrin:
I wish I can find an idiotPad that would do that. Making posts here containing assembly mnemonics on an iPad is an exercise in futility. I'm on the porch writing this post from it. Or better still one that is compatible with Windows (7 of course  :tongue: ) so I can write code and execute it, without having to go back inside.  :biggrin:

And now we return you to the regular scheduled program...
Regards, zedd.

zedd151

« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2022, 01:24:08 AM »
For my editor project, I will finish today the file handing functions. To make it more useful already.
I work sometimes at a seemingly 'snails pace' sometimes, as I want the code bug free before posting it. Jochen, regarding your comment on splitting into smaller files... There is a method to that. Reusability. Once it is determined that the ancillary procedures work well and without bugs, they can be put into a library. Once there it never has to be rewritten. The Masm32 (&64) SDK are designed in this fashion. I find that to be a useful method. Also, I use many functions from the Masm32 library, sometimes tweaking them where a little more needs to be added to suit a certain project. As far as pressing Ctrl or Alt (plus any other key) won't happen here.
If it can't be done via mouse clicks, I rarely use it. My left hand has nerve damage from years ago which makes it difficult for me two work with both hands. Not that I should need to explain this. Also, I suffer from memory loss. So at times I forget code and api's that I used to know well.
So when I do end up with a working program, it is an accomplishment for me as I mostly type and do work in general with one hand. No need for you to respond to this, just letting you know.
Regards, zedd.

zedd151

« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2022, 03:21:16 AM »
In addition to the file handling functions including dropping a file on the editor window, will finish the 'Edit' menu functions; cut, copy, paste, select all, undo, redo... Once those are done it will be a valid basic editor. Add Search & Replace, then that is the minimal functionality to be expected of any editor.  :biggrin:

After those basic functions are coded into the project I can then start adding the 'niceties' (Anything not included in notepad and others like it). Will NOT be adding printing capabilities as I have no need for it. I should have file handling and the 'Edit' functions finished by the end of today (my time  :tongue:  CST [wheres herge, the time zone guru?])
I will accept suggestions for added features, but will only add them if I find them personally useful. Will post a todo list of the functions I *plan* on adding some time today.
Regards, zedd.