Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Windows (7) problems!

Started by NoCforMe, December 03, 2022, 10:59:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

learn64bit

about files and folders
if I want to remove attributes, permissions or security like "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer" etc...I just move it to a fat16 drive(virtual partition, virtual hard drive), then move back that will remove all that stuff which I don't need

Shintaro

Quote from: NoCforMe on December 03, 2022, 02:10:44 PM
Thanks, good stuff. I actually figured out the 2nd method (Local Security Policy) by myself while rooting around in all that control panel admin stuff. So apparently now I have a bona fide Administrator account.
It's up to you how you run your computer, but after a few "Oh shit" moments early in my career, I learnt to be just a normal user on my computer. And either use the Admin account or right click and "Run as Administrator" for system tasks.
Plausible Deniability, from industry, by not having Admin rights I cannot be blamed,  :biggrin:
My favourite: CARE (Cover Ass Retain Employment)

So what are your outstanding issues still?

"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

Vortex

Hi NoCforMe,

You can use wimlib to backup your operating system. It's a command-line tool similar to UNIX\Linux tar :

Quotewimlib is an open source, cross-platform library for creating, extracting, and modifying Windows Imaging (WIM) archives. WIM is a file archiving format, somewhat comparable to ZIP (and many other file archiving formats); but unlike ZIP, it allows storing various Windows-specific metadata, allows storing multiple "images" in a single archive, automatically deduplicates all file contents, and supports optional solid compression to get a better compression ratio. wimlib and its command-line frontend wimlib-imagex provide a free and cross-platform alternative to Microsoft's WIMGAPI, ImageX, and DISM.

https://wimlib.net/

Some examples. The snapshot option instructs wimlib to create a volume snapshot copy necessary to image a live operating system.

Backup to a network share :

wimcapture.cmd C:\ \\sharedfolder\backup.wim --compress=fast --config=conf.ini --threads=64 --snapshot

Backup to an external drive :

wimcapture.cmd C:\ E:\backup.wim --compress=fast --config=conf.ini --threads=64 --snapshot

An example of configuration file to exclude some folders during the backup operation, conf.ini :

[ExclusionList]
\$RECYCLE.BIN
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook2\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook3\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Windows Live\.cache\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\LocalLow\Google\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Temp\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Google\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Terminal Server Client\Cache\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\*"
"\Users\Administrator\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WebCache\*"
"\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Scans\mpcache-*"
"\Windows\Prefetch\*"
"\Windows\Logs\CBS\*"
"\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\*"
"\Windows\Temp\*"
\pagefile.sys
\hiberfil.sys
\swapfile.sys
"\System Volume Information"

Greenhorn

In former times I used Acronis True Image to create/restore backup images.
But I never used the installed True Image software, instead I created a "Rescue CD" or a "Rescue USB Thumb Drive".
I booted from that "Rescue CD/USB" to create or restore the backup(s).

This program seems similar to True Image and the "Private Edition" is for free: http://www.runtime.org/dixml.htm

My procedure when I installed Windows on old (used) Laptops for my friends and co-workers:

• Boot a Live Linux from a USB thumb drive and started GParted to wipe the hard disk. Delete all partitions on it and create a new primary partition. Format it with NTFS
  • Install Windows, all updates, all drivers. Activate the Windows licence and make the essential settings.
  • At this point you may (or may not) boot the backup imgager create a first backup image of the clean Windows installation.
  • Install your favourite essential software and clean the temp folders. Do not install any AV solutions at this point.
  • Boot the backup imager and create a (second or incremental) backup image.
  • Done
Kole Feut un Nordenwind gift en krusen Büdel un en lütten Pint.

zedd151

Good tips Greenhorn. As for the rescue CD, there are many ways to create one and depending on the method used can be customized with software that is not already on the .iso image or CD/DVD.  :cool:

One method I used is "Aomei PE Builder". It uses the WinRE image to make a functioning mini OS complete with windows explorer and a desktop.  :biggrin: 
Another useful tool I use is "EasyBCD" by neosmart technologies. It allows easily manipulating the boot files (BCD) so you can boot from different os's, USB drives, or even directly from .wim or .iso images. Not free, but well worth the modest price. (Check their website for current cost)

NoCforMe

Quote from: zedd151 on December 03, 2022, 02:14:58 PM
For creating image, I use a program called Dism++. It can create the image from the OS it's running on. It can restore the OS from image file in Boot Mode. It creates a file used with WinRE and boots up from winRE to run itself to reinstall. When reinstalling,  I always tell the program to format first so not to install over an existing installation.
Available 32 bit and 64 bit in same installation. github  https://github.com/Chuyu-Team/Dism-Multi-language

Click 'Code', then 'Download zip'

OK, I did that. (Probly should have said "click on the 'Code' button, not the "<> Code" tag at the top which does nothing.) Extracted the zip file. No can use; I don't see an executable in there anywhere.

Understand, I'm not about to even think about using a program that I have to compile, then spend an hour configuring. I'm a user here; I want a ready-to-use executable, like most programs give you when you download them, not some developer's nightmare. Not interested at all in the ins and outs of their code. Sorry; pass.

Quote from: Vortex on December 03, 2022, 08:16:53 PM
You can use wimlib to backup your operating system. It's a command-line tool similar to UNIX\Linux tar :

Quotewimlib is an open source, cross-platform library for creating, extracting, and modifying Windows Imaging (WIM) archives.

Sorry, thanks for the effort, but I'm not a command-line kind of guy. As stated above, I want a Windows executable that'll do the job.

Surely there's something out there that doesn't require unpacking, configuring, compiling, etc.? Something I can just run? How hard could that be?
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

zedd151

They must have changed the way they do things since I had downloaded the version I use. The project might even have been taken over by a different party? When I downloaded a couple years ago the zip contained win32 executables in the package. Sorry about that, was not my intent that you should have to compile anything.

NoCforMe

So Vortex: since I have nothing else at the moment that will work, let's say I want to use the wimlib package to make an image. I started looking at the documentation and I gotta say, it makes my head hurt; typical Unix software and descriptions.

Can you tell me 1) which command file I should use and 2) what options/parameters, etc., I need to use in order to make an image? (I assume I'd be using wimcapture, right?)

Do I want to make a bootable image? or just one that Windows can load in case of system failure?

zedd151

found a third party vendor for dism++ https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/dism.html

NoCforMe

Quote from: zedd151 on December 04, 2022, 09:10:34 AM
They must have changed the way they do things since I had downloaded the version I use. The project might even have been taken over by a different party? When I downloaded a couple years ago the zip contained win32 executables in the package. Sorry about that, was not my intent that you should have to compile anything.

I dunno; couidn't find a single .exe anywhere, there's a folder with make stuff in it which I assume makes the program, and on top of that all the documentation is in Chinese! (Which is fine if you're Chinese or can read that language.)

zedd151

This is what I get trying to go to their original website:

This site can't be reached
www.chuyu.me unexpectedly closed the connection.
Probably abandoned the project? It works for me though (Dism++), so I keep using it.
Sorry for sending you on a wild goose chase.
There are other OS imaging software options out there, I wish you the best of luck finding something that meets your needs.

NoCforMe

Well, I'm running Dism++ now making a backup image. Seems to be working OK.

Do you make your images bootable? That option (checkbox) wasn't accessible when I started the backup.

zedd151

Doesn't matter if checked or not, I never check bootable. I think that is for a WinPE type image (runs from memory) or when running dism++ from winpe, I forget. Let me know how it works for you.

hutch--

:biggrin:

David,

Honestly, this looks like self inflicted punishment. Installing an out of date and no longer supported operating system delivers the range of problems that you are having at the moment. A year or so ago, I installed Win7 64 Ultimate on a new box I had built and once it was up and running, I hunted up the service pack upgrades for it and it worked correctly the first time with no major hassles.

I was not going to abandon the $400 + price tag I paid for it so using the same registration key, I updated it to Win 10 64 bit Pro as the performance was poor in comparison to my other Win 10 boxes. With the upgrade done, it turned into a fast reliable machine. If you hardware is old or not very big, you can clean up with 10 by removing the junk and downloading any of a number of anti-telemetry apps to slow down the spy ware.

zedd151

No longer supported means no more 'security updates'. To that hutch, I say hooray. I think that the usability of windows 7 and 32 bit will outlive me. I'm no spring chicken, and a smoker.  :tongue: 
Now getting windows 10/11 to run the way you want is just another form of self inflicted injury, I know... I've been there numerous times.  :biggrin:  Hell, I even fire up windows xp, for a blast from the past sometimes.  :cool:

And in windows 7, I can turn OFF anything I don't need and I sleep easy knowing it won't come back after another update.  :biggrin: