News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

QEditor plugin: most recently used files

Started by jj2007, December 29, 2022, 11:08:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on December 30, 2022, 03:43:54 AMActually I liked the 'Recent Files' that was on the menu bar. Gives a quick indication that the plugin is active.

If you used it once, a quick look into the Files menu tells you if it is active... either you see your files (it's active), or you don't. Now in theory you could modify the Run entry of the registry and add a watchdog there that controls if QEditor is active, and if yes, make sure the plugin is loaded by sending some dedicated keystrokes. Hutch will kill you if you try that :badgrin:

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on December 30, 2022, 03:50:30 AM
If you used it once, a quick look into the Files menu tells you if it is active
Um, yeah. But I'm lazy like that.

QuoteNow in theory you could modify the Run entry of the registry and add a watchdog there that controls if QEditor is active, and if yes, make sure the plugin is loaded by sending some dedicated keystrokes. Hutch will kill you if you try that :badgrin:
:tongue:  Seems like too much to fiddle with for this purpose though.

Now just sit back and wait for any further feedback from others ...

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on December 30, 2022, 03:56:15 AM:tongue:  Seems like too much to fiddle with for this purpose though.

After two, three days you'll have the right reflex - no files, damn, Tools/Recent :mrgreen:

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on December 30, 2022, 03:59:03 AM
After two, three days you'll have the right reflex ...
It's called muscle memory.  :tongue:

hutch--

Something you need to know about the design of QE, the reason why it will not allow either scripts or DLLs at startup is so it cannot be hacked via scripts or DLLs. Sad to say with something that has been around for such a long time, is that it would be a target if it was easy to do.

Z,

Get a later version of QE, that one with the blue interface is very old.

zedd151

Quote from: hutch-- on December 30, 2022, 04:13:26 AM
Get a later version of QE, that one with the blue interface is very old.
:tongue:  I haven't had any issues with it, so I continue to use it; besides it's already in the SDK, no need to track down updated versions.  :biggrin:
Annnd.... at least it's not qe v. 3...  :tongue:

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on December 30, 2022, 04:13:26 AMGet a later version of QE, that one with the blue interface is very old.

I've tested the plugin with both of them. Is there any significant difference under the hood?

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on December 30, 2022, 05:58:10 AM
I've tested the plugin with both of them. Is there any significant difference under the hood?
From a longtime user, the only discernible difference is the toolbar image. Everything else appears to work the same. That is if you are referring to version qe4.0m. (iirc that was the last update) I'll check the last update when I'm back at the 'puter' (iPad post)

Later...
Yup, 4.0m is the latest. It's here in this board.  :tongue:

zedd151

Hmmm. I have not tested if other plugins will work or not while the MRU plugin is active. I will run some tests to see if there are any issues and post any findings.
Jochen, do you unload the plugin or just let it remain open while qeditor is opened? Also have not tested what effect the MRU plugin would have if multiple instances of qeditor are opened. They communicate with each other btw... a feature that I rarely explore. But I will run some tests to see if there are any conflicts between instances... when I'm back inside that is...

zedd151

Quote from: zedd151 on December 30, 2022, 06:11:49 AM
Also have not tested what effect the MRU plugin would have if multiple instances of qeditor are opened. They communicate with each other btw... a feature that I rarely explore. But I will run some tests to see if there are any conflicts between instances... when I'm back inside that is...

Okay I ran a test with two instances of qeditor opened. The first instance I open the MRU, okay. Open a recent file there and save under a new name, the saved file name gets added to the MRU. Okay.

I open a second instance of qeditor and activate the MRU list. Okay everything shows including the recent addition. I open a rececnt file and save to another name. In the second instance the MRU list gets updated as expected.

Now I close both instances of qeditor and open a single instance of qeditor. Activate the MRU. None of the changes made in the second instance of qeditor persist, but only the changes made in the first instance do persist. I hope this is clear...

I rarely use two instances at a time (very occasionally), but may cause some unforeseen issues for those that routinely have more than one instance opened.
For users that do not have two or more instances opened it should not be a problem though.
Now on to test running other plugins while the MRU is active...

zedd151

Quote from: zedd151 on December 30, 2022, 06:27:09 AM
Now on to test running other plugins while the MRU is active...
Preliminary testing shows no ill effects running other plugins while the MRU is active.  :thumbsup:

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on December 30, 2022, 06:27:09 AMI rarely use two instances at a time (very occasionally), but may cause some unforeseen issues for those that routinely have more than one instance opened.

Check the attached version (not yet a release), it should behave well with two or more instances.

Btw the most serious "unforeseen issues" in the current release version are that you may not see all the files you've recently opened; that is the default case in QEditor without the plugin ;-)

zedd151

Okay... Most times it updates the MRU in both instances upon opening a file or saving a file. There was once where one of the files did not both get added to the MRU and be still persistent. I could not duplicate exactly how that happened. And it had not happened again.

So, I rate this change a success  :thumbsup:  until it happens again  :undecided: . Hopefully the next time, I will be able to determine how it happened.
I will play with this some more later... right now I've got two doggies to walk.  :biggrin:

Before I go, I have a couple suggestions.
1. An uninstaller to remove all files added during install. Makes installing an updated version easier.
2. Method to clear the MRU, without having to manually remove the entries in the file.

jj2007

Keep me posted if you can reproduce that effect (it shouldn't happen).

The technique is to use SetMru every time the menu gets opened:
  CASE WM_INITMENU
SetMru MruPath$

I just checked when SetMru was introduced: more than 4 years ago :rolleyes:

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on December 30, 2022, 07:52:44 AM
Keep me posted if you can reproduce that effect (it shouldn't happen).
:thumbsup:  I'll let you know ... It might be from closing one instance while the MRU was updating?? I'll do some tests checking that...

Back in 30 minutes or so...