Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Cumpulsory First Post!

Started by biscuits, January 03, 2023, 04:25:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

biscuits

Although my repetitive actions may look similar, I AM NOT A BOT!!!    :tongue:
And sometimes I repeat myself. It is not a glitch in my software.  Hello World of Masm32.

jj2007

Hi biscuits, welcome to the forum :thup:

biscuits

Hello jj2077. Thank you for the greeting.

I am not new to assembly programming, but at the same time nowhere near being a professional programmer. I guess hobby programmer would be more fitting. I first learnt assembly by inspecting executables in ollydbg. I was curious as to how programs were made. So I looked at the insides of some programs. My first program was a "Hello World" message box coded in ollydbg  :tongue:. I normally use 32 bit, but never have used 16 bit. 16 bit code looks kind of complicated. 64 bit code looks weird compared to 32 bit code. Seems more complex, especially the procedures. Stack frame, argument handling, local variables, register saving, and the like. 32 bit code seems way easier than both 64 bit and 16 bit.

Vortex

Hello biscuits,

Welcome to the forum.

biscuits

Biterider

Hi biscuits
Welcome to the forum  :cool:
Biterider

biscuits

Gunther

biscuits,

welcome to the forum. I wish you a lot of fun and of course success in programming.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

biscuits

Gunther

biscuits,

Quote from: biscuits on January 03, 2023, 04:34:22 AM
I normally use 32 bit, but never have used 16 bit. 16 bit code looks kind of complicated. 64 bit code looks weird compared to 32 bit code. Seems more complex, especially the procedures. Stack frame, argument handling, local variables, register saving, and the like. 32 bit code seems way easier than both 64 bit and 16 bit.

that's correct. 16 bit code is only for dinosaurs like me. You shouldn't invest any effort in this at the moment. The future clearly lies with 64 bit code. Hutch has made some very good
videos on this that you should check out. I would start with that if I were in your shoes.
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

biscuits

Quote from: Gunther on January 03, 2023, 01:54:35 PM
The future clearly lies with 64 bit code.
I'll take this into consideration. Thank you.

daydreamer

Welcome Biscuits  :thumbsup:
When it comes to max speed,SIMD and SIMT is future
That's my way,but if you stick to make very fast one thread asm program on cpu with 32 cores =100/32 cpu usage =3%
@Gunther 16bit dos it's more of a challenge than 32/64 bit

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

jj2007

Quote from: biscuits on January 03, 2023, 04:34:22 AM
Hello jj2077. Thank you for the greeting.

I am not new to assembly programming, but at the same time nowhere near being a professional programmer. I guess hobby programmer would be more fitting.
32 bit code seems way easier than both 64 bit and 16 bit.

Don't worry, we are all hobby programmers here (and the median age is probably above 60 years :biggrin:).

Yes, 32-bit code is easier, but 64-bit code isn't rocket science, either. The question is whether you really need it. Speedwise, it's the same, so the only real advantage is an address space beyond the 2GB of 32-bit code.

biscuits

Quote from: jj2007 on January 03, 2023, 11:02:57 PM
Yes, 32-bit code is easier, but 64-bit code isn't rocket science, either. The question is whether you really need it
32 bit code so far does everything I need. There will undoubtedly be instances where 64 bit would be better suited for a particular project that I plan on.