News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Restoring Windows images

Started by NoCforMe, January 12, 2023, 12:21:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedd151

From the Windows Recovery Environment you can use the Microsoft command line tools:

diskpart.exe to format partitions.
bcdedit.exe to add or remove windows installations to/from the BCD store.
dism.exe (not to be confused with Dism++ which is from an outside vendor) to restore backups from .wim images and to create backups to .wim images.

These are all command line tools. Using them is error prone (one typo can screw things up) unles you have batch files already for dealing with them. I have only dabbled with them until I found imho better options that work well for me.
You will have to do some rersearch for yourself on exactly how to use these Microsoft command line tools with your system configuration. These are just some more suggestions. As with any other suggestions that will modify your system, use at your own risk. There is plenty of documentation on the internet for using these tools. It is highly suggested that you search for it. There may be some command line tools that are not mentioned here that may help you as well.
In general I find third party tools (gui based) a lot easier to work with than Microsofts command line tools. You will have to do some research on your own, to see what fits your own particular needs the best.

As a LAST resort, since you are pretty much a neophyte in regards to the techniques that I use, you can always reinstall the operating system the hard way by running the OS installation DVD. BUT that should be considered the NUCLEAR option as it would remove your settings, drivers, etc. And basically you would be starting from scratch.

NoCforMe

Quotedism.exe (not to be confused with Dism++ which is from an outside vendor) to restore backups from .wim images and to create backups to .wim images.

That wouldn't be too bad, assuming it works. I have the .wim images, so it shouldn't be too hard to restore from them, right? Need to nail down any options, syntax, etc. I'm comfortable with running stuff from the command line, even dangerous operations.

Yeah, I know all about that last resort: did it 2-3 times. Never again! (I hope.) It takes forever to build the system back up to where it once was.
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on January 13, 2023, 06:50:36 AM
That wouldn't be too bad, assuming it works. I have the .wim images, so it shouldn't be too hard to restore from them, right? Need to nail down any options, syntax, etc. I'm comfortable with running stuff from the command line, even dangerous operations.
The best bet would be to search Microsoft for information about the mentioned command line tools. This will help with switches, options, etc. for all the tools mentioned.

hutch--

:biggrin:

> diskpart.exe to format partitions.

You learn to use it carefully. I needed it recently to format micro sd cards for my 3D printer as it would not accept NTFS formatting (M$ licence issue).

daydreamer

Hutch now i got curious about my tablet memory menu
Mount sd card /unmount sd card
Format sd card
If format with android device should work format for 3d printer and what file format sd card ends up with ntfs, fat32, something else ?

Is it an option to make bootable 128gb usb stick with one partition .wim file as reserv if the .wim file on hd is corrupt?
I found older 8gb sd card  in usb converter, possible to format as bootable?
Its from older thrown away phone i had

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

hutch--

I own an old Android tablet but it rarely ever gets turned on. Occasionally I need to look at something that is too small for my eyesight on a mobile phone so I use the ancient tablet that Google updated and it does the job. I can access the Internet with it via a travellers WIFI gadget that plugs into my normal router with an ethernet cable but with multiple 32 inch screens, a tiny tablet is a poor choice.

daydreamer

I am used to two fingers move apart =zoom and screen mirroring to smart tv screen when at home with my two 10.2 inch tablets
But i hate fiddle with insert tiny micro sd , without become irritated = risk of break things with my strength
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding