Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

ResGuard for Framework C

Started by Biterider, August 24, 2023, 06:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biterider

Hi
Yesterday I found something when I was looking for a leak. 

I have not considered GDI+ until now and thus, everything that is allocated there as GDI system object, leads to a leak. It took me a long time to realize this, but now I have included some GDI+ APIs from the flat API. 

Of course I also have to consider other allocations in addition, but that will come a bit later.  :biggrin:

Biterider

HSE

Hi Biterider!

Working perfectly in standard Masm64 SDK project :thumbsup:

I was sure about the introduction of some leaks in the codeedit project, but 497 is a little to much  :biggrin:

Regards, HSE.
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

Biterider

Hi HSE
Quote from: HSE on September 10, 2023, 09:47:24 AMWorking perfectly in standard Masm64 SDK project
Thank you for checking this out.  :thumbsup:
I have prepared a demo in simple MASM, but it is only a demo and not real code. ResGuard is not finished yet, if it ever gets "finished". Today I want to add the rest of the GDI+ APIs. The rest will then be added bit by bit.

Quote from: HSE on September 10, 2023, 09:47:24 AMbut 497 is a little to much
That is absolutely true. It happened to me too, and it's overwhelming when you have a couple of leaks at the same time. I need to think of a way to reduce the output, for example by grouping all the leaks that were triggered at the same code address (just an idea).  :icon_idea:

Biterider

Biterider

Hi HSE
I added the aggregation of calls and now the output looks much better. 
The number of calls is now shown in square brackets after the API name.

Biterider

HSE

Hi Biterder!

That look better  :thumbsup:

HSE

Biterider

Hi
I just uploaded the new code with the aggregation code and the relevant GDI+ APIs.

Biterider

HSE

Biterider

Hi
There is still a problem with the current implementation. 

In the past, ResGuard would have been allowed to continue running after a Show command. However, now that we are doing the aggregation, this is no longer possible. 
I have not used ResGuard this way, but in the past it could have been done this way. 

To restore this state you need a slightly different strategy, which is quite possible, but will take some time to implement.

Biterider

Biterider

Hi
I have completed the last update by adding and testing the reverse aggregation feature so that the original start/stop functionality is restored.  :wink2:

The update is uploaded to the repo.

Biterider

Biterider

HSE

Hi Biterider!

Address that ResGuard show it's not call address (like old version, if I remember well). I presume now show invoke beginning. Is that correct?

Thanks in advance, HSE

Biterider

Hi HSE
The address shown after the symbol name of the calling frame is the return address of the call instruction.
My original intention was to show the calling address, but I would need my own disassembler to decode the calling OP-code bytes. If you simply see the call instruction using a disassembler, it is easy to check what is happening.

BTW, it's the same thing that VS debugger shows.

Biterider

Biterider

Hi
A stable version has been uploaded to the repository. 
The behaviour is now identical on 32- and 64-bit targets, despite the calling differences. 
The initialisation interface is now identical on both targets and a plain 32-bit MASM example has been added.

Full documentation will follow soon.  :cool:

Biterider