Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Suitable / best new description ??

Started by stoo23, May 08, 2024, 11:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

OK, taking all the above criticisms into account:

QuoteGeneral reference material for 32- & 64-bit assembly language and various other languages.

(sinsi: rather than use your corrected x86/x64 nomenclature, just make it general in case some, ahem, ARM stuff sneaks in there ...)
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

sudoku

@ stoo23: If there are Tools and Toys there that are not 64 bit, maybe simply change the description to add 32 bit and also move the board. Similar to what has been done with this board.
:smiley:

NoCforMe

Quote from: stoo23 on May 08, 2024, 01:15:45 PMI had posted info' and references to this previously, for David's benefit, as it obviously bugs the F**k out of him, but is not always a sarcastic application, nor "Scary" ???, .. I
Yeah, it does bug the shit out of me as it's a blatant misuse of language.
And I don't know how you can continue to deny the existence of a very well-known aspect of language. But don't take my word for it:

(I hope you notice that this is from a UK source, btw.)

BTW, doesn't matter whether the quotes you use are single or double: same difference. (We here on this side of the pond prefer double quotes w/single quotes inside: you non-Yanks prefer the opposite.)

[meta-question I'll ask again since I've never gotten an answer for it: how do I add an image at full size so you don't have to click on it to see it? I see other people doing that here but can't figure out how to make it work.]

sudoku

Quote from: NoCforMe on May 08, 2024, 01:45:16 PMhow do I add an image at full size so you don't have to click on it to see it?
Use a PostImage account, rather than using the embedded mechanism. (the dimensions have to be reasonable, for page formatting)
I used to have one, but forgot my password. So, I just opened a new account at PostImage for this demo.

Image no longer needed

:smiley:

NoCforMe

sinsi

Quote from: stoo23 on May 08, 2024, 01:30:11 PMHey, by the way, seeing as we are once again Moving stuff to more appropriate places,.. there is a whole Pile of stuff in the Tools & Toys section of the Microsoft 64 bit MASM Board, that to my mind has no place being there !!

Can you guys have a look and offer your thoughts / suggestions etc ??
cheers
I always thought of that section as hutch's masm64 test ground, working out the bugs with very simple examples. Most of the posts are his. More toys than tools there.

sinsi

Quote from: WikipediaAir quotes are often used to express satire, sarcasm, irony or euphemism and are analogous to scare quotes in print.
Definitely used air quotes, didn't know that scare quotes were the written version.
Every day you learn something new eh?

stoo23

You don't even need an account, you can just use the;
P Add image to post function under the Reply edit window.

If you do create an account, (free and capable of holding literally gazillions of images), you can then through the menu system at PostImage, choose what sort of 'link' you wish to provide or even Thumbnail etc.

You can then choose which image you wish to post there and then use the Insert an image button (to the right of the YouTube button, to insert your chosen Image link, then you can choose what Size you want it, via the image dialogue that appears.

I don't mind Smaller, post/code related images being Stored on the server, especially if they are both relevant and important to the post/thread, (thus insuring their permanence into the future.

BTW, you can also use PostImage in your PM's and can choose how long you wish the image to be available, when you upload it, good for a simple example that you don't need for long etc.

I guess the good thing about establishing an account at PostImage, is that you can create appropriate Folders/Categories which obviously lets you group similar/related images and gives you the ability to find and use them again, whereas simply using the button below the post window is an anonymous 'one instance' scenario.

I hope that helps  :smiley:

jj2007

Quote from: stoo23 on May 08, 2024, 04:33:52 PMI don't mind Smaller, post/code related images being Stored on the server, especially if they are both relevant and important to the post/thread

Most of my images are on my private site (), but sometimes I post small images as an attachment, using png downgraded with PaintShop to 256 colours. If it's less than 10k, I guess that can be tolerated - correct me if I'm wrong.

Re PostImage: no account needed, the trick is to go there, upload the image, post, return to PostImage, right-click to open image in new windows, grab the URL and correct the link in the post. You get the actual size, and it's no longer clickable:

stoo23

Quotation marks around a word can often be used, (correctly btw) to elicit attention, as below, NOT to simply or always to cast doubt etc.

QuoteQuotation marks may also be used to emphasize or highlight a term, much as italics or capitalization can serve as a typographic aid to draw attention.

Example: "At the 'burger joint,' Bob ordered sushi." The author of the sentence doesn't want us to miss the culinary incongruity.

There was perhaps a time when the written word was applied Very strictly,.. these days, with the advent of different methodologies of information transfer and dissemination, it has become somewhat more free, with aspects as above allowing a more forced attention or emphasis to be employed.

English is a continuously evolving thing and let's get serious, we aren't publishing a Reference work or University thesis here, we are simply chatting and imparting various snippets of opinion and information.

Methinks you far too easily make a small mountain out of a barely noticeable Mole Hill and in the big scheme of things is really not worth bothering about.

Some of us can find your 'Short-Fuse' temper and responded language somewhat disconcerting, even flagrantly abusing and not following the clear forum rules but does anyone keep reprimanding you about it ???

Kick back, have a beer, lighten up and get Over it,.. the Heart Attack from the stress simply ain't worth it  :wink2:  :smiley:

NoCforMe

Quote from: stoo23 on May 08, 2024, 04:33:52 PMYou don't even need an account, you can just use the;
P Add image to post function under the Reply edit window.
But Stoo, that's exactly what I've been doing, and you can see the result (as in my reply #17 above); it only shows a thumbnail of the image, not the full-size picture like sudoku's reply #18. You have to click on the image to see the full size. Unless you know some way to make the "Add image to post" work that way.

NoCforMe

Quote from: stoo23 on May 08, 2024, 04:48:06 PMExample: "At the 'burger joint,' Bob ordered sushi." The author of the sentence doesn't want us to miss the culinary incongruity.

But here the scare quotes are used to express irony; the burger joint isn't really a burger joint. Your use of them, however, isn't so much ironic as just haphazardly emphasizing words or phrases. That's not what quotes are for, and it makes your writing come off as ... odd. (More like "air quotes" than scare quotes, which again are for ironic effect, not as a different way of boldfacing or italicizing.)

stoo23

QuoteBut Stoo, that's exactly what I've been doing, and you can see the result (as in my reply #17 above); it only shows a thumbnail of the image, not the full-size picture like sudoku's reply #18.
Hmmm, well, that's odd ??  :undecided:

That was just uploaded via the button.

This was the Original image size posted using Insert an image:

Because I have an account, I could go there and Select the image via Share, which gives me a whole bunch of choices:

Posted via the Insert an image button.

By either adding your desired Dimensions into the dialogue box or adding to / editing the resultant bbcode you can adjust the 'posted' size  :smiley: :
as below:

You have to click on the image to see the full size. Unless you know some way to make the "Add image to post" work that way.

stoo23

QuoteI always thought of that section as hutch's masm64 test ground, working out the bugs with very simple examples. Most of the posts are his. More toys than tools there.

Well, it would seem that way but a LOT of what is there is neither 64 bit or even remotely concerned with 64 bit code or application, so really shouldn't be in that Topic Section.

Like the ffmpeg and video upscaling stuff as a couple of examples.
Mind you, there is some 64 bit stuff there by Hutch, just not all of it.

Perhaps some of it could be moved to Miscellaneous Projects ??

TimoVJL

How about a special hutch topic, where you collect last pieces of his code ?
May the source be with you