Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

Assembler for dummies

Started by Mikl__, August 16, 2024, 12:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mikl__

Hi, All! Is there a book on assembly programming in series "for dummies"? Thanks...

daydreamer

Hi mikl
I had game programming for windows ,using win32 and direct draw
It only showed a asm 32 bit snippet fast memory zero
If it doesn't exist,write it?
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

Mikl__

Hi daydreamer!
I was wondering if there was such a book in the "for dummies" series and if there was, who was its author?
It is quite difficult to write understandable textbooks, but if you want to be a co-author, I am all for it.

NoCforMe

This is the book I used, way back when, to learn assembly language on the IBM PC (16-bit DOS, of course):

It's out of date, of course. But it's an excellent book, clearly written and comprehensive (for the 8088 at least). And David Bradley was part of the team that designed the PC.

(I still have my copy, still refer to it occasionally if I forget how a certain instruction works.)

Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

Mikl__

Hi, NoCforMe! I've translated David Bradley's book into Russian. Excellent book! But this is not a book of series "for dummies".

P.S. David Bradley is screen roles including Argus Filch in the Harry Potter film series, Walder Frey in "Game of Thrones", and Abraham Setrakian in "The Strain".  And also roles in "American Ninja" sequels, and the "Cyborg Cop". He is a versatile person!

jj2007

Quote from: Mikl__ on August 16, 2024, 05:01:00 PMI've translated David Bradley's book into Russian

A big compliment to you, Mikl :thumbsup:

Mikl__

Ciao, jj2007!
No, no! It is is a translation error. I wanted to say that I have a book translated into Russian by V.V.Skugarev, E.S.Kopelman; Edited by A.A.Chizhov Moscow 1988 Publishing house "Radio and Communications". My joke about an English actor David John Bradley and american actor David Bradley (Bradley Simpson)  looks like it wasn't appreciated either

NoCforMe

Quote from: Mikl__ on August 16, 2024, 06:19:50 PMMy joke about an English actor David John Bradley and american actor David Bradley (Bradley Simpson)  looks like it wasn't appreciated either

Oh, you had me going for a second there; actually looked his name up on IMDb.

HSE

Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

daydreamer

Quote from: Mikl__ on August 16, 2024, 02:46:57 PMHi daydreamer!
I was wondering if there was such a book in the "for dummies" series and if there was, who was its author?
It is quite difficult to write understandable textbooks, but if you want to be a co-author, I am all for it.
Too little time and energy to code my own projects now

English naming convention jack Daniels = jack,Daniels son but also a whisky :)
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

NoCforMe

Quote from: daydreamer on August 17, 2024, 04:09:20 AMEnglish naming convention jack Daniels = jack,Daniels son but also a whisky :)

Huh whut? Jack Daniels is just a name, the guy who created that whiskey.

Mikl__

For some reason the conversation went in the wrong direction. We started talking about a book from the "for dummies" series, and now the topic is Jack Daniel's whiskey. Strange associations...

NoCforMe

Well, to sum up, there seems to be no Assembly Language Programming for Dummies.
Someone needs to write that book.
Any volunteers? (I could be your copy editor; my dream job for many years now ...)

Just one thing, though: would it be Win32? 64-bit? something else?

Mikl__

Hi NoCforMe!
Very tempting offer Could you send me your email address in a private message?

stoo23

There was talk (at one stage) of creating an "Assembler FAQ" here (suggested initially by FORTANS I believe).

Something that could definitely still be worth considering  :smiley: