Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

I need antivirus protection!

Started by NoCforMe, September 19, 2024, 03:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on Today at 06:02:47 AMWhat, do those folks like wiping their disks and reinstalling their OS?
I resemble that remark.  :biggrin:  I don't mind it, it only takes 20 minutes (or less) to do a format (not a full wipe) and full reinstall of the OS here (including my most used programs, etc). Trouble is remembering to do it somewhat regularly.  :tongue:

:azn:

NoCforMe

Yabbut, what about all the
  • Desktop items
  • Toolbar items
  • Program options
  • Other tweaks and modifications
?
No way am I going to spend all day resetting all that stuff. Do you actually do that? Talk about an exercise in masochism ...
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

jack

if the bios is infected no amount of OS reinstalling will make a difference
also, you may want to disable IPv6, hackers found a weakness in IPv6 to infect a PC with the only requirement that the PC is connected to the internet and that IPv6 is enabled

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on Today at 06:23:00 AMYabbut, what about all the
  • Desktop items
  • Toolbar items
  • Program options
  • Other tweaks and modifications
?
No way am I going to spend all day resetting all that stuff. Do you actually do that? Talk about an exercise in masochism ...
No, I keep a .wim disk image with a clean install plus all settings, and my favorite programs preinstalled. Easy peasy, at least for me. Took me at least 6 months (little by little) to get everything in there just the way I like it. Not for the faint of heart.

Quote from: jack on Today at 06:25:47 AMif the bios is infected no amount of OS reinstalling will make a difference
Ever heard of flashing the BIOS (updating or reinstalling it)? Assuming it is still bootable of course.

NoCforMe

So every time you add something to your setup you have to make another backup? No thanks.
I tried using Dism to create a backup image and restore it, but it was no go (forget exactly why).
Oh, and I should mention that Advapi32.dll was not among any of the infected items found by Total AV, so I don't know what Acrobat was complaining about ... maybe it was because I ran the AV scan after doing a system restore. Who the hell knows?

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on Today at 06:31:30 AMI should mention that Advapi32.dll was not among any of the infected items found by Total AV
Acrobat infected before maybe? And giving a faulty error. Who knows.

NoCforMe

Quote from: jack on Today at 06:25:47 AMalso, you may want to disable IPv6, hackers found a weakness in IPv6 to infect a PC with the only requirement that the PC is connected to the internet and that IPv6 is enabled

Good to know, I guess.
So what exactly does IPv6 do for me, and what do I miss if I disable it?

zedd151

Quote from: NoCforMe on Today at 06:31:30 AMSo every time you add something to your setup you have to make another backup? No thanks.
With experience, it becomes easy. At first, there were a lot of mistakes made. I've been doing things like this for years, and think I have perfected my system. (while windows 7 is near death, as far as compatibility)  :dazzled:

zedd151

Looks like jack has left the building... this wiki should give you some insights.

IPv6

NoCforMe

tl;dr
What I want to know is, can I disable it without losing essential internet functionality? IOW, will my web browser (Opera) and email client (Thunderbird) still work?

jack

NoCforMe

Thanks, buddy: just what the doctor ordered.

There's a Micro$oft document linked within that page. It says:
QuoteInternet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) is a mandatory part of Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 and newer versions. We do not recommend that you disable IPv6 or its components. If you do, some Windows components may not function.

I'm assuming that by "some Windows components" they're referring to Internet Explorer or Edge, and since I don't use those (directly at least) I should be OK.

Turns out you have to edit the registry if you want to totally disable IPv6; that page says "Using the Control Panel method will only set your system to prefer IPv4 over IPv6, but not disable IPv6 fully."

Easy enough to do. If it messes me up I can always restore it.

sinsi

Quote from: NoCforMe on Today at 07:18:50 AMWe do not recommend that you disable IPv6 or its components. If you do, some Windows components may not function
That's a joke, since my ISP doesn't even run IPv6.

NoCforMe

Just disabled IPv6. Easy peasy, just change one registry value to 255. We'll see how it goes.
Dave Plummer's video is a good one to watch.

NoCforMe

Quote from: sinsi on Today at 07:56:01 AMThat's a joke, since my ISP doesn't even run IPv6.
What, are they still using the Morse code protocol?