News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Linux said H.D. is failing but not Windows

Started by Magnum, March 09, 2013, 02:10:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnum

There was no error message with the first short test and nothing with the second longer test.

Chkdsk did not show any problems.

I replaced CentOS with Linux Mint and it shows no problem with the hard disk.

??

I seem to remember some program that would show all the clusters with markings as to which ones were in use, bad, or not in use.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

hutch--

Andy,

You are trying to mix the technology of two different operating systems without knowing enough about both of them. Its a Windows laptop so use Windows software to perform your testing. You would need to know a lot more to evaluated the workings as each Linux distro and it may not be any use to you. As others have mentioned to you, back up your important data, defrag the disk, make sure there are no errors on it by using CHKDSK then use it.

Keep track of the sector remapping count and if it starts to go up, get another disk.

Greenhorn

On a good day one should make a backup, coz on a bad day it could be too late for it...  ;)

You should always backup your precious data, always.

BTW, Linux is very good for hardware diagnostics. Take a look at Knoppix and/or grml. But you must know which tools to use and how to use them properly.

Greenhorn
Kole Feut un Nordenwind gift en krusen Büdel un en lütten Pint.

Gunther

Quote from: Greenhorn on March 10, 2013, 10:03:22 AM
BTW, Linux is very good for hardware diagnostics. Take a look at Knoppix and/or grml. But you must know which tools to use and how to use them properly.

Greenhorn

Wise spoken. Furthermore, one could use nearly any life CD of any distribution to do the hardware diagnostics. It's not limited to Knoppix or grml.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Magnum

I wasn't criticizing Linux.

As a matter of fact, I just installed Linux Mint on a second partition.

Because of it's speed advantage over Windows, it may become my primary O.S.

Andy

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org