Author Topic: W8 sucks, but Linux is even worst  (Read 19959 times)

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
Re: W8 sucks, but Linux is even worst
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2014, 04:42:57 PM »
I don't agree with that. I have checked many-many Linux distros and none of them worked properly. The nearer was Linux Mint 17, but another matter is install it. Don't know what happens, but no one install with garantees and the system is very-very week in such cases, i mean, for example, just log out without unmount usb stick is enough to crash the system.

I have backuped the wim files, in the hope it were easy reinstall the system from that... ehemm.

What do we do now then? I have an usb stick with Linux Mint 17. I boot the system with that (without install of course) and we have an stable system until the next boot.

I will try recover W8 from the wim when I have time... I don't like W8: spends many resources and I've bought a pc os, not a mobile os, I go crazy when I hit the start button.

Regards
The logic of the error is hidden among the most unexpected lines of the program

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 02:15:22 AM »
Hi Alfonso,

I don't agree with that. I have checked many-many Linux distros and none of them worked properly. The nearer was Linux Mint 17, but another matter is install it. Don't know what happens, but no one install with garantees and the system is very-very week in such cases, i mean, for example, just log out without unmount usb stick is enough to crash the system.

I don't agree with you. At least the Ubuntu distribution is very stable and the complete installation can be done in half an hour. Debian or Gentoo are stable, too.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

anta40

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2014, 02:42:21 AM »
I don't agree with you. At least the Ubuntu distribution is very stable and the complete installation can be done in half an hour. Debian or Gentoo are stable, too.

Different people have different hardware configurations, and without any knowledge of them, it's kinda hard to answer
"why this X Linux doesn't run properly on my system?"

But personally I agree with you. Debian and Ubuntu are among the safe bets. Usually just work without much configuring.
Gentoo is awesome, but only if you want to study the installation howto carefully. One wrong stop and you'll get a kernel panic
while booting up  :P

Vortex

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2014, 03:59:12 AM »
Hi Alfonso,

I have backuped the wim files, in the hope it were easy reinstall the system from that

You can check the wimlib project :

wimlib is a C library for creating, modifying, extracting, and mounting files in the Windows Imaging Format (WIM files). These files are normally created by using the "imagex.exe" or "Dism.exe" utilities on Windows, but wimlib is distributed with a free command-line frontend called "wimlib-imagex" for both UNIX-like systems and Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wimlib/

Gunther

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2014, 08:39:10 AM »
Hi Erol,

wimlib is a C library for creating, modifying, extracting, and mounting files in the Windows Imaging Format (WIM files). These files are normally created by using the "imagex.exe" or "Dism.exe" utilities on Windows, but wimlib is distributed with a free command-line frontend called "wimlib-imagex" for both UNIX-like systems and Windows.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/wimlib/

sounds like a cool tool. Thank you for the link.

Gunther

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2014, 04:35:41 PM »
I don't like standard Ubuntu and its unite. I like more enlightenment, lxde, xfce and in general lightweight windows managers, specially these ones. I like also KDE, though its applications are overloaded.

There are many distros based on Ubuntu, Linux Mint is one of them and as i said it is the only one that better worked for me. I used to work with bodhi linux too, but neither is shaking. I have checked UbuntuStudio, lubuntu, xubuntu, etc. All of them are very similar, but i prefer Linux Mint.

I have check with several linux (including this ones) based on mandriva, opensuse, fedora, etc. I don't like very much fedora. I always liked opensuse and worked more or less fine (as Linux Mint) but not completely.

I have check pcbsd too. Neh, not good at all.

Interestingly many of them work well on the fly, but not when they are installed. At least in my experience with my laptop.

Vortex, i have already check wimlib project. In fact, thanks to it i managed reduced more than 40 wim files to only one. The problem that i have now is that i have to make a cd or usb bootable and instalable system. There's a windows version that is loaded when you install windows, whose name i dont' remember now. But i have no much time for now to fight against every inconvenience.

Another distro that i liked was sabayon, a very friendly gentoo distro. I looked some time ago that it has a patch to install in uefi systems. I'm waiting for newer version that fixes that problem.

I don't think that I'm the only person who has problems with linux in uefi systems though.

Regards
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 06:28:16 PM by avcaballero »

Gunther

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 10:21:41 PM »
Hi Alfonso,

no one has to use Linux. Of course, the EFI problem is not so easy to solve, especially with GRUB 2. But for the future there's an alternative solution for me: grub4dos. It's an excellent tool and good enough to start any operating system you want.

I don't think that I'm the only person who has problems with linux in uefi systems though.

That link leads to a Page not found error.

Gunther

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave

Gunther

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 10:11:03 PM »
I've just installed opensuse 13.2, the newer version, in my son's uefi system laptop, and it did a great work! It configured and installed everything automatically and did a rock solid installation. The previous version didn't work well as I said before, but this new one is great. Just to say: congratulations, opensuse team!
My son is now over the moon with his new system. I installed him dosbox and a few older dos games. I hope that he will manage to work with its commands if he want to play with them :) Also it can start to play with qbasic too. The samsung laser printer also was configured and work well. In short: a great os.
Great work for linux community. I hope that soon others distros can work as well as open suse. Bye to W8, etc.

Regards.

Vortex

« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2014, 06:25:08 AM »
Hi Hi Alfonso,

Nice to hear your good news. Did you turn off secure boot before installing openSUSE?

Gunther

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2014, 04:00:28 AM »
Good news, Alfonso. UEFI is a strange beast and not so easy. I know what I'm talking about.

Gunther

Magnum

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Gunther

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2014, 04:05:05 AM »
Andy,

http://tuxdiary.com/2014/07/23/linux-distros-with-uefi-support/

your link is okay, but the tricky thing is to search in another direction. What if you would like to have several operating systems on the same machine? Which boot manager is to use? How to configure the boot manager etc.

Gunther

caballero

• Matrix - Noah
    • abre ojos ensamblador
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2014, 03:43:54 AM »
Hi Erol, sorry for answer late, but I'm offline these days. I did a fair installation nothing turned off. Regards.