Author Topic: Tenth amendment  (Read 29601 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Tenth amendment
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2014, 01:08:50 AM »
Spain has a fascinating history, unfortunately much of it was sad, years ago I watched a 10 part series on the Spanish Civil War and I have never seen so many dead bodies or so much misery. At its peak the Spanish empire extended to much of South America and great riches were taken out of the Inca areas of Peru but like many other European royalties, it was not always well spent, many lived in fear of the Inquisition, they had lost the connections that the Jews and Muslims had in commerce and were plundered by the English pirates with much of the riches coming from South America.

The later Bourbon dynasty became so inbred that they were close to useless and appeared to contribute to the decline of Spain until Napoleon invaded and changed the political structure. They left a legacy in South America apart from Brasil that went to the Portuguese and while not all of it was good, it has generally survived as a cultural model.

Now funny enough, my younger brother and his girlfriend have just been to Spain, another friend and his girlfriend and neighbors of mine were also there, all at the same time so Spain must be popular at the moment.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Magnum

« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2014, 01:25:29 AM »
Hi anunitu,

No Mags,not everyone here is christian,in fact one of us is a PAGAN...So hold down the rhetoric about your preferred religious belief. I will not argue bible text with you,though I could because I had to memorize it cover to cover as a kid. And still I became a PAGAN because you meet a better class of people in those circles..

I know that Andy does not like to hear it, but Christianity has a lot of pagan roots. That's well known.

Gunther

It doesn't bother me.

The Crusades is one example of non-Christian behavior.
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

anunitu

« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2014, 01:43:53 AM »
While you might say the Crusades were non christian,they were financed by the then Church(back then church and state were one,with the church controlling everything) So a bit of a cop out...

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #48 on: November 07, 2014, 05:07:32 AM »
Andy,

It doesn't bother me.

The Crusades is one example of non-Christian behavior.

that's not what I mean. I meant that Christmas, Easter and Pentecost - to name only these - have pagan roots.

Gunther
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

Magnum

« Reply #49 on: November 07, 2014, 05:37:01 PM »
Halloween too.

Take care,
                   Andy

Gunther

« Reply #50 on: November 07, 2014, 06:34:23 PM »
Hi Andy,

Halloween too.

that's not so common here in Europe. The US have another tradition in that case.

Gunther

Magnum

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2014, 12:46:46 PM »
When I visited Deutschland, October Fest was pretty popular.

Take care,
                   Andy

Gunther

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2014, 11:48:27 PM »

The Oktoberfest in Munich has nothing to do with Christianity or Paganism. The people drinking a lot of beer (in 1 liter pitchers!). A lot of those buddies are drunk and brawls are not seldom. That's the content of the Oktoberfest in Munich, a Bavarian specialty.

Gunther 

anunitu

« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2014, 11:57:44 PM »
As I read,Oktoberfest began because all beer was stored in caved,and the last day I guess before Fall/winter(all the beer was taken out to be consumed before winter so as not to be wasted. Seems I was wrong as to how it started,seems it had to do with a royal wedding.

http://www.ofest.com/history.html

Well,any excuse to drink a lot of beer works for me... :dazzled:

Gunther

« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2014, 12:08:12 AM »
Hi anunitu,

the link you've provided is not so bad.

The festivities are accompanied by a program of events, including the Grand Entry of the Oktoberfest Landlords and Breweries, the Costume and Riflemen's Procession, and a concert involving all the brass bands represented at the "Wiesn".

The Oktoberfest celebrated its 200th Anniversery in 2010, only Wars and cholera epidemics have briefely interrupted the yearly beer celebration.

Well,any excuse to drink a lot of beer works for me... :dazzled:

That's not the point. Andy meant that it's the German Halloween (see post #51) or similar - and that's not true.

Gunther

Magnum

« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2014, 02:59:47 AM »

The Oktoberfest in Munich has nothing to do with Christianity or Paganism. The people drinking a lot of beer (in 1 liter pitchers!). A lot of those buddies are drunk and brawls are not seldom. That's the content of the Oktoberfest in Munich, a Bavarian specialty.

Gunther

I only mentioned October Fest because I went to one when I was in Hannover visiting my grandfather.

I worked in Kreis Kranken Haus Hospital for a month.

Really enjoyed it.

I believe it was a cancer hospital.

Take care,
                   Andy

Gunther

« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2014, 03:17:17 AM »
Andy,

I only mentioned October Fest because I went to one when I was in Hannover visiting my grandfather.

Really enjoyed it.

yes, we've a small Oktoberfest in Berlin, too. But that's only a bad copy of the original in Munich. One can visit it, if one prefer Bavarian beer or and Bavarian Weisswurst. Both are not the favorites of the majority of the population.

Gunther

Magnum

« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2014, 10:56:44 AM »
Andy,

Really enjoyed it.

yes, we've a small Oktoberfest in Berlin, too. But that's only a bad copy of the original in Munich. One can visit it, if one prefer Bavarian beer or and Bavarian Weisswurst. Both are not the favorites of the majority of the population.

Gunther

I like white sausage, Br├Ątwurst, and liver sausage.

The good "artery clogging food." :-)

First time I was in Germany, I asked for iced tea in the summer.

Waitress brought me a glass of tea and had a pair of tongs with one ice cube that she put in the tea.

My mother ate some sandwiches that had bacon grease smeared on the bread.

She is 86 and still going strong except for dementia. :-)

Take care,
                   Andy

Gunther

« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2014, 12:51:35 PM »
Andy,

I like white sausage, Br├Ątwurst, and liver sausage.

Bratwurst and Currywurst are not specific Bavarian and not specific Oktoberfest.

First time I was in Germany, I asked for iced tea in the summer.

Waitress brought me a glass of tea and had a pair of tongs with one ice cube that she put in the tea.

That's an amusing story, indeed. 

She is 86 and still going strong except for dementia. :-)

that's bad news.

Gunther

xanatose

« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2014, 06:26:55 AM »
"The illegal we do immediately. The unconstitutional takes a little longer." - Henry Kissinger.

Legal or not, unconstitutional or not, the political mafias passing as parties can do anything they want as long as they own the courts and the people are too much of cowards to do anything about it.

Government is just another name for the strongest mafia of each country. Nothing more. Once understood, everything governments does makes sense.