Author Topic: There can't be just one true religion  (Read 14156 times)

Magnum

There can't be just one true religion
« on: December 11, 2014, 03:33:59 PM »
Pg. 3

There can't be just one true religion

How could there be just one true faith ? asked Blair, a 24 year old woman living in Manhattan. "It's arrogant to say your religion is superior and try to convert everyone else to it. Surely all religions are equally good and valid for meeting the needs of their particular followers."

"Religious exclusivity is not just narrow -- it's dangerous," added Geoff, a twentysomething British man also living in New York City. "Religion has led to untold strife, division, and conflict. It may be the greatest enemy of peace in the world. If Christians continue to insist that they have 'the truth' --and if other religions do this as well--the world will never know peace."

During my nearly two decades in New York City, I've had numerous opportunities to ask people, "What is your biggest problem with Christianity ? What troubles you most about it's beliefs or how it is practiced ?"

One of the most frequent answers I have heard over the years can be summed up in one word: exclusivity.

To be continued. 

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

K_F

• Anybody out there?
Re: There can't be just one true religion
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 04:33:13 AM »
Maybe there is not one.... :)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

TWell

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 05:50:35 AM »
Maybe there is not one.... :)
or even one ?

habran

• uasm
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 06:03:02 AM »
Or you can put it that way:
All religions are the same; they make people hate each other and kill each other
John Lennon dyed because he said that
Cod-Father

TWell

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 06:15:24 AM »
And in programming religion != TRUE.
That's because in real world religion is something that someone belief and that not have to be true.
Only fyzzy logic can give that feature in programming world.

habran

• uasm
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:59:07 AM »
Code: [Select]
            .if eax==RELIGION
               jmp ABORT
            .else
               jmp PEACE
            .endif
ABORT:
            ret
PEACE:      mov mybelief,eax
            .continue
Cod-Father

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
There is a humorous but persuasive argument from Emmanuel Kant that is call "antinomies". For any range of views about a given subject, only one can be true but they all can be wrong. There is no objective technique that differentiates one religion from another and this also involves different flavours of the same religion. Sunni versus Shia, Catholic versus Protestant, a plethora of variations in the Vedic religions of India and so on.

By itself religious views and related practices bother no-one and have often led to a range of people who have done good work for others and here I can think of various Catholic religious orders sworn to poverty and charitable works, our Jewish friends have a system of charitable works built in Judaism, many of those of the Muslim faiths practice charitable works in accordance with their beliefs and this applies to most others as well.

The wheels fall off when religion is mixed with zealotry and power, be it the Inquisition in Europe and especially Spain, the pogroms in early Soviet Russia with an atheistic flavour of zealotry, some of our Muslim friends who wish to convert by the sword and any other combination of religious exclusivity and political power that inflicts itself on other who see the world differently. Over time the most tolerant societies were highly successful as they utilised the skills of many different religious and cultural groups to form a viable society but over time they also were destroyed by religious zealotry and exclusivity.

Early to middle period Al Andalus (Moorish Spain) was highly successful but came unstuck with repeated invasions from Islamic forces from North Africa. Norman Sicily was a melting pot of different cultures and religions that thrived until the last of the Norman line died out and it eventually came under the rigid control of the Papacy.

What I am hopeful about is that Andy will stop being tempted by the devil biting him on the ass and give up on the idea of being "like God" sitting in judgement of others that vary from his own religious views and supporting inflicting them on others. It would be most unfortunate if through heresy and apostacy he was cast into the lake of fire if his name is removed from the Book of Life.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

habran

• uasm
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 09:00:10 AM »
hutch--, don't be naive, there is no hope for Andy :eusa_naughty:
He would rather dye in most painful death than change one bit of his program,
because he thinks that he is the most righteous person on this planet :eusa_boohoo:
Cod-Father

Magnum

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 09:25:05 AM »
I know you don't believe in prayer, but I continue to pray for you gentlemen.

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

Tedd

• Procrastinor Extraordinaire
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 12:37:04 PM »
I know you don't believe in ritual sacrifice, but I continue to smear chicken blood at the altar in your name, Andy.

I hope that one day you will accept your demons and reveal your true self. Be strong. Do not be ashamed of what you are.
Potato2

habran

• uasm
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »
Andy, stop praying for me so that Tedd can stop killing chickens in your name.
I can say: I know that you don't believe in cannibalism but I will eat every week one child for you, to save your soul because I am kind person and care about you ;)
Cod-Father

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:35 PM »
tststs ... gentlemen ... you realise that your religions may conflict with the law? Watch out, Hutch!!!
There are legal alternatives: To save your soul, dear Andy, I will eat a plate of spaghetti every second day or so.

habran

• uasm
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 01:28:29 PM »
jj2007, please don't do that, we don't want you to kill yourself, this forum needs you :shock:
Cod-Father

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 01:35:02 PM »
Habran, did you know that Italy has the World's highest life expectancy (together with Japan)? Pastafarianism is a healthy religion :t

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Well Andy is from Texas so he can't be all bad, its just that he needs to get his mind out of the knickers of girls who have ended up the duff (scone in the oven etc ....) and start thinking of the higher things in life. Every soul is worth saving and even if we have to drag Andy kicking and screaming out of his mindset, it may save him from the lake of fire where he is headed if he keeps trying to be like God.

Matthew 25:41 “Then shall He say also unto them on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels."

Texas may be hot in the summer in a heatwave but its nothing like where Andy is going if he keeps sitting in judgement of those less fortunate than himself.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy: