Author Topic: Future Crimes, by Marc Goodman  (Read 3364 times)

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
Future Crimes, by Marc Goodman
« on: May 21, 2015, 05:53:45 AM »
I recently read the following frighteningly informative book, that I would like to recommend to all of you elite, uber-sophisticated MASM Forum members,...you will find this book both a useful technical reference and thought-provoking,...

"Future Crimes: Everything is Connected, Everyone is Vulnerable, and What We Can Do About It", Author: Marc Goodman, Copyright, 2015, cost: about $28.00 (US), about 400 pages, ISBN 978-0-385-53900-5 (hardcover).

Introduction: I thought that I was relatively well informed, as far as internet security threats, cyber-crime, and, digital technology goes. After reading this book, though,...I concluded that I am completely oblivious to reality. I've read about Stuxnet, and the Silk Road, and Edward Snowden,...and, of course,...I've read all of DAVE's Hacker Alerts,...
Everything that I didn't know about internet vulnerabilities and cyber threats has been researched and compiled into this book. The author has done an impressive job of cataloging known hacker exploits and describing actual case histories concerning internet fraud victims worldwide.

Apparently,...the author's mantra is: Everything is Hackable. And, most computer security experts agree with him.   

This book was not written for programmers or hackers. It's intended audience is the general public,...those types of people that don't even consider the network security implications of the electronic devices that they use on a daily basis (and, that they couldn't function without). The author doesn't analyze Internet protocols, encryption, or the methods that criminal hackers use to access Corporate Data Bases,...he just reports the current global cyber-crime trends.
The major strength of the book is that every subject discussed is referenced in the back of the book with footnotes, citing the articles published in the open press, from which the information was originally derived (and that you can read for further details). The vast majority of these references were published less than five ago.
Many of the statistics are truly shocking. The author has spent his career in Law Enforcement (futurist-in-residence with the FBI) and Technology. Mr. Goodman is WAY better at that dystopian Doom and Gloom than I am,...and, he's annoying as hell,...
The subjects discussed in the First Section (A Gathering Storm) are: the Malware Explosion, Identity Theft, Hacking and Breaches of vast Corporate Databases, Internet Fraud, Facebook and Google's corporate strategies and their use of data and analytics, Hacking of Critical Infrastructure, Smart Phone vulnerabilities, Data Brokers and Surveillance, the WikiLeaks debacle, and, a huge array of Online Scams.

"Mobile phones are one of the most insecure devices that were ever available, so they're very easy to trace and they're very easy to tap." Interview with Evgeny Morozov

In Section Two (The Future of Crime), the author profiles what is known about criminal organizations that use the Internet for financial fraud. The author then descends into the Digital Underground. His descriptions of the the mysterious DARK WEB and the Malware-Industrial Complex are fascinating. He describes the Onion Router (TOR) that enables illicit websites like the Silk Road to flourish. He also describes in great detail the types of illegal commodities, services, military-grade weapons, and every type of counterfeit document and currency imaginable that could be purchased anonymously online with bitcoins.   
The author also discusses vulnerabilities in home security systems, automobile controller area networks (carjacking), critical municipal  infrastructure networks, implantable medical devices, Google Glass, hacking biometrics, augmented reality, virtual reality, robotics, military drones (UAVs), Wall Street's High Frequency Trading (HFT) platforms, artificial intelligence, mind-reading computer algorithms, and alot of truly scary technical developments,...

"If I were a teenager today, I'd be hacking biology", Bill Gates

Here is a selection of reports from the first chapter to get you started:   
2014: A Year of Mega Breaches, Ponemon Institute, 2015 (pdf)
2014 Global Report on the Cost of Cyber Crime, Ponemon Institute, 2014 (pdf)
The Cost of Malware Containment, Ponemon Institute, 2015 (pdf)
Verizon Data Breach Investigations Report, 2013 (pdf)
Global Corporate IT Security Risks: 2013,  Kaspersky Lab (pdf)

...If you've been sleepwalking for the last several years (like I have),...your PARANOIA will be on Afterburners at the conclusion of this book,...

Zen

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
Re: Future Crimes, by Marc Goodman
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »

Farabi

• Neuroscience Fans
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 09:14:02 PM »
I read that example chapter book on google Book. But I forget the content is. I agree, as long as a hardware system is a publicly known Hardware like Intel processor, ARM, having a harddisk, not matter what, it is hackable. Even on android you can modify its system driver and internal memory by only single click. It doesnot done on hardware anymore, its done on the software. Windows? Even worse. The whole PC system was stored on Harddisk, even though windows restrict access to hardware, people always found a ways.

So, in order to prevent hacking for a vital system like, nuclear, power plant, military facility, transportation, the only thing to do is making a closed hardware system where the people who knew about how to programming it is fewer. Also, dont put a rewritable storage in it. I even heard a kid on US can hijack train rail by his DIY remote control IR controlled by his Smartphone. Pretty scary huh?
http://farabidatacenter.url.ph/MySoftware/
My 3D Game Engine Demo.

Contact me at Whatsapp: 6283818314165

Zen

• slightly red-shifted
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:01:48 AM »
Quote from: ONAN
I even heard a kid on US can hijack train rail by his DIY remote control IR controlled by his Smartphone. Pretty scary huh?
Funny,...that story was in the book. But, it happened in Poland.
Polish Teen Hacks His City’s Trams, Chaos Ensues, Wired, 2008
Schoolboy Hacks Into City's Tram System, The Telegraph, 2008

Here are some more interesting references from the book:

Identity Theft: Trends and Issues, Congressional Research Service, 2014
The Antivirus Era Is Over, MIT Technology Reviews, 2012
Why Antivirus Companies Like Mine Failed To Catch Flame and Stuxnet. ArsTechnica, 2012

Quote from: MARC GOODMAN, Page 176
"Cybercrime is borderless and offers great anonymity. Moreover, prosecutions are exceedingly rare, perhaps occurring in less than one one-thousandth of one percent of all cases."

...I get the impression that it's alot worse than that,...it's more like detecting neutrinos,...
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 07:06:27 AM by Zen »
Zen

Farabi

• Neuroscience Fans
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 05:50:57 PM »
Ah I forget that part, its polland. Yeah I was read that book.
http://farabidatacenter.url.ph/MySoftware/
My 3D Game Engine Demo.

Contact me at Whatsapp: 6283818314165

xanatose

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:50:43 PM »
Well, probability has shown that a politician usually ends up to be a treasonous liar.

Should we use probability and just hang whoever goes into politics?

Is the same reasoning behind pre-crime after all.

[Edit]
changed per-crime to pre-crime.