Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests
NB: Posting URL's See here: Posted URL Change

Main Menu

Simple networking software?

Started by NoCforMe, January 06, 2015, 01:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

This is a question about computahs, not programming, so sorry if it's out of place here; I couldn't find a forum that looked more appropriate.

Just wondering if there's such a thing as a simple networking program that would allow me to connect two heterogeneous computahs (in this case, a Mac notebook and a Windows desktop) via, say, USB, and let them do at least some rudimentary resource sharing (say, transfer files and use a printer connected to the desktop). Anyone know of any such software? I haven't done any online research on this, not really knowing what to look for, so I thought I'd pick the excellent brains here first.

Not a huge priority, just something that would be temporarily useful to me ...
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

hutch--

Use a Network hub, it would be cheaper and easier. The other option is a ethernet cable designed to work between 2 computers. A normal one for a hub is called a PATCH cable, I have usually heard the others called a TWIST cable.

NoCforMe

Quote from: hutch-- on January 06, 2015, 02:18:32 PM
The other option is a ethernet cable designed to work between 2 computers.

No can do, since the Windoze machine is W2K with no network card (an oldie). Hence the desire to use something USB-based.

Hey, are you the same Hutch who designed the Manley Massive Passive EQ? I just read through the doc for that project (PDF) stored on my hard drive; very interesting read.

anunitu

There is a cable(Can't remember what it is called) that allows transfers of files between systems by USB ports. Another option is an external usb HD to swap back and forth between systems. One might set up a serial connection between the two systems,but then you would need compatible programs on each system to allow transfers.

Found this to transfer from Mac to PC,or PC to mac.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030305&p_id=8488&seq=1&format=2

sinsi

hutch--

That should work OK. I would still go for a cheap NIC card and use ethernet.

> Hey, are you the same Hutch who ......

No and I don't know anyone by the name of Starsky either.  :biggrin:

dedndave

i think Hutch may be right - a NIC card is like $10   :P
and - bound to be faster

our Hutch, by the way, is Steve Hutchesson
the Manley Massive Passive EQ was designed by Craig Hutchison

NoCforMe

Thanks, but this thing is EOL (end-of-life), not worth dicking around with, not even to the tune of a $10 NIC. (I have a "new" computer, an XP box, waiting to be set up.) But I think I'll try plugging a USB cable in both computahs, see what happens: never thought of doing that. I kinda doubt that either end will automagically load up drivers and such that will suddenly allow communication, but hey, who knows? (I would have done so but don't have the right gender cable on hand.)

sinsi

DON'T use a normal cable, you will probably blow both USB ports on each computer. It needs a special USB cable - don't forget that 5V goes through it.

NoCforMe

Ah, yes; must have isolating resistors or some such on the V+ (5V) line.

hutch--

USB is a device to computer interface, not a communication medium between two computers. The gadgets that sinsi pointed you to would do the job but a gigabit nic would be faster if both end support it.

dedndave

...and i believe some circuitry is required to USB-USB
if you don't want to spend $10, canibalize some oldie to get one free - lol
i probably have a half dozen in the junk box

GoneFishing

1.5 years ago or so I had bought USB Data Transfer Cable  KC-UANC22  for a good price . It was in the box with support CD , so I didn't have to search for drivers and software (btw Windows only) . I decided to connect  pc with Windows 7 to the second  machine with Windows XP .  The cable can operate in two modes : network and file transfer . After several hours of tinkering with software I succeeded only in establishing file sharing connection  mode .

P.S.: BTW WinDbg has an option to debug remote computer over USB port ( one with debug capability ) . Of course , special cable is needed too .

Windows 7 Easy Data Transfer is meant to be the simple way  to move your files between two Windows-based PCs.

jj2007

I've connected an XP with a Win7-64 PC via the router. No special software needed, although trying to guess the necessary steps was clumsy, as usual. Windows sucks, Redmond :eusa_snooty:

anunitu

Windows sucks???,say it isn't so..............Oh,I am shocked,gambling going on in your cafe....Waiter...here is your winnings Inspector....