Author Topic: New SpyWare Found in HD Firmware  (Read 6950 times)

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing
New SpyWare Found in HD Firmware
« on: February 18, 2015, 05:04:35 AM »
Here I wrote that my WD hard drive became too slow to be able to run OS  all of a sudden.
I've already  forgot about that but the article Russian researchers expose breakthrough U.S. spying program  gives me new food for thought .

anunitu

Re: New SpyWare Found in HD Firmware
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 07:19:05 AM »
Nothing quite as bothersome as NSA crap IN your drive....firmware crap

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 05:22:19 AM »
seems to me that it gives you a list of drives not to buy - lol

....and, the oriental manufacturers a challenge to hack future US firmware   :(

GoneFishing

• Gone fishing

anunitu

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2015, 07:32:35 AM »
The group kown as "Five eyes" mentioned in above post.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/an-exclusive-club-the-five-countries-that-dont-spy-on-each-other/

Though they talk about them as "Hacker groups" it is clear they are more country's trying to pretend they are "Just" hackers..

rrr314159

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2015, 12:48:18 PM »
You've got to be kidding: Canada, UK, New Zealand and OZ members of the club with USA? If those 4 countries actually believe the US won't spy on them, that they're on an equal footing, they're idiots. Useful idiots, I suppose. Reminds me of Lepidus believing he's one of the Triumvirate with Antony and Octavius. And, if they think Israel's not in the loop ... they couldn't be that ignorant. Could they?

As I've mentioned b4 - hacked firmware is really small potatoes. What the rest of the world needs to worry about is not compromised secrets, but "a small amount of hydrogen", as it's coyly called in certain circles.
I am NaN ;)

xanatose

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2015, 04:27:57 PM »
You've got to be kidding: Canada, UK, New Zealand and OZ members of the club with USA? If those 4 countries actually believe the US won't spy on them, that they're on an equal footing, they're idiots. Useful idiots, I suppose. Reminds me of Lepidus believing he's one of the Triumvirate with Antony and Octavius. And, if they think Israel's not in the loop ... they couldn't be that ignorant. Could they?

I think the answer is simpler than that.
They are lying.

Of course, back in the day when government actually obeyed the law, they help each other finding loopholes. So the USA spied on UK citizens and gave the information to UK while UK spied on USA citizens and gave the info to UK. Technically not breaking each other laws. Although the actions where the same.

But that was before the Unconstitutional Act, also called the Patriot Act. Nowadays the NSA can do pretty much what they want, having info on congressman and presidents that would shame Edgard J. Hoover. Add Google, and SpyBook (sorry facebook) to the equation and you pretty much have information on whoever you want.

The problem they have now is how to handle the ridiculous amount of information on a timely basis.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2015, 05:31:55 PM »
One of the things I have learned is that any software on any storage device you buy is best removed. Some portable hard drives come with installed software as do some USB pen drives and contrary to popular legend, you really CAN remove everything from a flash memory pen drive.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2015, 08:24:27 PM »
One of the things I have learned is that any software on any storage device you buy is best removed. Some portable hard drives come with installed software as do some USB pen drives and contrary to popular legend, you really CAN remove everything from a flash memory pen drive.

Yes, that should be the first step: removing the pre-installed crap from pen drives and external hard drives. It's a question of security and privacy.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2015, 10:34:39 PM »
in this case, they are not refering to the software that is on the drive
they are talking about the firmware that operates the drive
unless you have some tools that i'm not aware of, you can't access that code very easily
i suppose there are ways to update the firmware, but lord only knows what processor is used - lol

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
If this is a real problem, and not just more bullsh*t being circulated to generate add revenue, I can't see any way that the drive makers can avoid correcting the problem (or letting us know that it is bullsh*t). I have a clear memory of downloading and installing a firmware update for a WD drive to correct a problem with the head parking at inappropriate times, and a less clear memory of an update for an IBM GXP drive.
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

npnw

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2015, 08:28:51 AM »
years ago there were articles on overseas manufactures cell phones, and the intelligence agencies giving free phones to people in the US intelligence agencies, Pentagon, etc. This is nothing new. There also was an article about back doors by NSA into all types of hardware. Didn't snowden point out some of these programs?  I think the other countries were pakistan, and china, as far as I knew.

http://www.voanews.com/content/chinese-android-phone-shipped-with-malware/1940771.html
http://www.cnet.com/news/nsa-reportedly-planted-spyware-on-electronics-equipment/

]http://lapostexaminer.com/lenovo-caught-spying/2015/02/25[url][/url]

"despite the ban on the most sensitive of these networks, Lenovo will continue to provide significant IT resources to other government agencies in these countries. Tests of Lenovo computers were conducted and the suspicious components were identified ten years ago, yet the news is just breaking now, suggesting the governments and their intelligence agencies never shared their information with the private sector ’til they were outed by the Senate committee’s report. Lenovo remains the leading global PC maker."

There were articles out, but not wide spread.