News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Problem: ChildWindowFromPoint() prototype

Started by NoCforMe, June 08, 2015, 03:48:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoCforMe

The prototype for ChildWindowFromPoint() in windows.inc seems to be wrong. It calls for 3 parameters, while MSDN says there are only 2. And if I change the prototype, the linker complains about an unresolved reference.

Apparently this isn't one of the most popular functions used by folks here ...
Assembly language programming should be fun. That's why I do it.

hutch--

Its a quirk of C notation, the linker is telling you the truth.

NoCforMe

I don't get it; what's the third parameter? Should it just be set to NULL? I notice all the ...WindowFrom... functions have "extra" parameters.

NoCforMe

Wait, wait, I think I get it: the 2nd parameter is a POINT structure, not the address thereof, so the 2 parms must be x and y, right? I'm going to try that now ...

dedndave

you guessed correctly

if it were prototyped as a POINT, you would have to pass a structure from memory
because Hutch has prototyped the POINT as 2 dwords, you can pass registers, if desired

there are a few other similar prototypes

SetConsoleTextAttribute is also prototyped differently, but for a different reason
it has a WORD argument, but it's prototyped as a DWORD to maintain stack alignment

NoCforMe

Quote from: dedndave on June 08, 2015, 07:14:31 PM
SetConsoleTextAttribute is also prototyped differently, but for a different reason
it has a WORD argument, but it's prototyped as a DWORD to maintain stack alignment

Well, sure, I would ASSUME* this is the way to handle all such cases where there's a word-sized thing. One could push words on the stack, I suppose, but what a mess that would be! So I assume DWORDs as the smallest entities that get passed to subroutines. (I use word-size and even byte-size variables in my own code, but never on the stack.)

* As in ASS-U-ME ...

hutch--

The link data is correct here and it has to do with a quirk of C compilers, a POINT structure is generally passed as 2 x DWORD rather than a single DWORD address of a POINT structure. It is passed BY VALUE rather than by REFERENCE and it is a shortfall in the documentation that this is not explained. Part of the problem with an attitude of "NoCforMe" is that Windows API functions ARE written in C format so you will need to add some C to your CV to get how some of this stuff works.

TouEnMasm

Header:
ChildWindowFromPoint PROTO :HWND ,:POINT
POINT   STRUCT DEFALIGNMASM
   x DWORD ?
   y DWORD ?
POINT      ENDS
HWND DWORD;DWORD in 32 else 64
.data
point POINT <>
hwnd HWND 0

invoke createwindowex ....