Author Topic: America and our love for guns!  (Read 147245 times)

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: America and our love for guns!
« Reply #315 on: January 11, 2013, 04:10:43 AM »

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #316 on: January 11, 2013, 01:53:01 PM »
The main problem is the majority of people here who engage in risky behavior, some to the point that their apparent goal is to do themselves in. It’s another of life’s IQ tests.

Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

mywan

« Reply #317 on: January 11, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
These statistics that are being quoted are badly misleading in a number of ways. For one the comparison between US and Australian numbers comes with a population differential of over 12 to 1. That means the equivalent of a once a year US average would correspond to 1 incidence per 12 years on average in Australia, or 1 per 6 years to match a 2 per year US average. Yet even these averages can be highly misleading due to the sample sizes selected. By selecting per year sample sizes the sample size becomes very small, which makes the year to year variability much larger. Thus quoting a large number selected from a given year becomes statistically meaningless.

People almost universally perceive randomness and an equal distribution over a set. I have even used this perception of randomness to convince people I was psychic by guessing 90% or more of the doors in a set they were instructed to secretly select at random. This same fallacy is well represented in many of the statistical arguments I'm seeing here.

Given any set of random data with a per year average containing a small sample size it is a mathematical certainty that select years will contain numbers well in excess of that average. The smaller the sample size the greater the excesses in particular post selected years. Selecting clusters and characterizing it as a trend is just bad logic. As is reselecting a new cluster in a few years to justify the fallacy of labeling the previous cluster a trend.

Mass shootings are not growing in frequency, experts say:
https://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/rise-mass-killings-impact-huge-article-1.1221062

Magnum

« Reply #318 on: January 11, 2013, 06:46:59 PM »
A gun-carrying grandmother in Milwaukee foiled an attempted robbery when she pulled a firearm on the suspect as he grabbed for her grocery store cash register.

Ernestine Aldana, 48, was behind the counter at the San Ignacio Market when a man in a dark hat pulled a knife on her and attempted to rob the store register, police said.  Aldana pulled a handgun from behind the counter on the man, causing him to flee.

“All I remember is being scared,” Aldana told ABC News.  “I believe if I would have had my finger on the trigger I would have shot, thank god it actually didn’t come to that, everybody thinks it’s easy to pick up a gun and shoot someone, it’s really not.”

Aldana said she was thinking about firing, but by then the suspect had already had turned to flee.

The remarkable incident was all caught on surveillance video released by the Milwaukee Police Department, which is searching for the man. Aldana described the man as Hispanic, about 35 and between 165-180 pounds with pock marks on his cheeks.

Aldana says her son, who took her to a firing range to train her to shoot, bought the gun for the store.   The family never thought they would need for the firearm, but are now grateful.  “If I didn’t have the gun there, he would have hurt me, once I had the gun there it changed everything,” said Aldana.

In December 2011, Gov. Scott Walker signed a bill passing the “Castle Doctrine” in the state, which protects home and business owners using a gun in self-defense on their property.

Aldana added that she is now skeptical of restrictions on gun ownership. “[The gun] saved my life,” she said.
Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #319 on: January 11, 2013, 07:00:34 PM »
Aldana added that she is now skeptical of restrictions on gun ownership. “[The gun] saved my life,” she said.

Congrats, that is exactly the kind of statistical evidence we need so desperately :t

Rockphorr

« Reply #320 on: January 12, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
It is easy to have guns for Americans.
Do you know how easy to move continental rockets ???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAXzicwhcHI

Magnum

« Reply #321 on: January 12, 2013, 09:47:33 AM »
I agree with a poster.

It's probably a distillation column. (vodka ?)

Take care,
                   Andy

Ubuntu-mate-18.04-desktop-amd64

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #322 on: January 13, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
For Americans Under 50, Stark Findings on Health
Isn't this un-patriotic, criticising themselves like that...  tut tut  ;)
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #323 on: January 13, 2013, 01:59:56 PM »
Not surprisingly the phenomenon of declining health tends to go hand in hand with declining living standards and this has happened across much of the western world in the last 15 years. Effectively the case of ripping the guts out of the local economies, stock market excesses, imports killing off local industry and thus employment and diminished interest by governments to fix the problem while supporting those folks who are at the bottom of the spectrum economically.

Here you have the shift of displaced people towards aside effects like drugs, booze, violence and sex abuse as the arse falls out of their world. The Chinese are laughing at how stupid western countries are behaving in destroying their own people while they educate their own, improve their living standards and strengthen their economies. England decimated itself between ww1 and ww2 with the support of its class system at the expense of the country generally and from ww2 onwards it has been in decline as a consequence.

The US has its own flavour of class warfare doing much the same level of damage, destroy your own people in a dirty war of financial atrition and you eventually destroy the country.

The rising stars are Brasil, Russia, India and China, the BRIC block and they are laughing all the way to the bank. Don't feel alone, its being done here in OZ as well.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #324 on: January 13, 2013, 07:44:46 PM »
The rising stars are Brasil, Russia, India and China, the BRIC block and they are laughing all the way to the bank. Don't feel alone, its being done here in OZ as well.

Brasil is one of the worst cases in terms of income inequality, Russia and China are heading towards "class warfare", too. India is neatly split into extremely poor (2/3) and wealthy (1/3). But I agree with the rest of your post.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #325 on: January 13, 2013, 09:45:02 PM »
Yes they do have some unhappy examples, a few months ago I watched a documentaryon a town in Russia just above Kazakstan which was on a truck route and it was on a synthetic opiate reverse constructed from Codeine Phosphate called "crocodil" and it was truly horrendous. A year or so after the kids get hooked on it it kills them. The name is associated with how their skin looks in the final stages of their life.

Interestingly enough as Russia seemed to have done better out of the GFC, things may be improving under the more rigid regime with Putin as he appears to be willing to negate the effects of western countries by removing the civil rights of their citizens. I gather Brasil has tried to do something about the shanty towns on the outskirts of their bigger cities by stopping some of the drug barons but they have a big problem and a long way to go.
hutch at movsd dot com

Rockphorr

« Reply #326 on: January 20, 2013, 12:47:45 AM »
Yes they do have some unhappy examples, a few months ago I watched a documentaryon a town in Russia just above Kazakstan which was on a truck route and it was on a synthetic opiate reverse constructed from Codeine Phosphate called "crocodil" and it was truly horrendous. A year or so after the kids get hooked on it it kills them. The name is associated with how their skin looks in the final stages of their life.

Interestingly enough as Russia seemed to have done better out of the GFC, things may be improving under the more rigid regime with Putin as he appears to be willing to negate the effects of western countries by removing the civil rights of their citizens. I gather Brasil has tried to do something about the shanty towns on the outskirts of their bigger cities by stopping some of the drug barons but they have a big problem and a long way to go.

Take away prejudices. Learn russian language and welcome to Russia. Don't stop at Moscow. Walk to Kursk Belgorod, Bryansk Ryazan, Vladimir. Walk to Ufa with Donkey to watch Hockey.

nidud

• https://github.com/nidud/asmc
« Reply #327 on: January 20, 2013, 01:20:57 AM »
deleted
« Last Edit: February 25, 2022, 06:17:44 AM by nidud »

K_F

• Anybody out there?
« Reply #328 on: January 20, 2013, 11:38:42 AM »
Nah! Hutch you've got it wrong...
In africa we have a bunch of Zots, hell bent on destroying themselves before the year is out, that it will look like a paradise this/next year, while south america and the world are still playing catchup!!!
 :icon_mrgreen:  :biggrin:  :greenclp:
'Sire, Sire!... the peasants are Revolting !!!'
'Yes, they are.. aren't they....'

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #329 on: January 20, 2013, 01:46:29 PM »
 :biggrin:

Rockphorr,

No prejudice, I recently watched a travelogue documentary on Russia and its a truly fascinating place but most of it is too cold for me, I can tolerate 35c - 45c temperatures but not the minus 60 that you get up north in the winter. If I am ever rich enough I will do the Trans-Siberian rail trip from Vladivostok to Moscow just to see the place.
hutch at movsd dot com