News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Win32.exe for hlp files on Windows 10

Started by jimg, March 09, 2016, 04:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimg

I had previously posted a zip file with win32.exe in another section for use on windows 10 from info I found on tenforum.com

Since, I have noticed that the find function was not working due to a missing dll.

Here is a new version, with an updated win32.exe and the missing dll.

To use, unzip into a temp folder somewhere, and start an administrator level command prompt in the folder.  Run the winhlpfix bat file.  This will copy the required files into the system folder, and supply the correct overwrite permissions in case the defective one that comes with windows 10 is there.

jj2007

My winhelp is still working on Win7-64 (and I use it a lot with the old Win32.hlp). I googled ftsrch.dll, and you get pages of crappy download sites but no explanation what it does. Of course, it's a very old file - 2003, it seems.

jimg

All I know is that when I tried to do a find inside help, it said the dll was missing.  I found it in my win7 installation and now the find works.

The way you feel about windows 10 is the same way I felt about windows NT.  I was never going to convert.  Same could be said about several items over the years. 

The only old one I'm still hanging on to is Eudora, version 7.1 from 2006, the last real version before they screwed it up (used thunderbird).  No fancy graphics, but works perfect for me :)

jj2007

Quote from: jimg on March 09, 2016, 05:22:17 AMThe way you feel about windows 10 is the same way I felt about windows NT.  I was never going to convert.  Same could be said about several items over the years.

I felt comfortable with XP, and liked Win7 immediately. I have Windows 8.1 for other members of the family, and it's the ultimate crap. A shame for Microsoft, really. Win10 has a really scary EULA; I hope they get stopped by some institution who cares. European Commission has shown its muscles with browsers, so there is hope...

jimg

Well, with the latest win10 update, I find that win32.hlp no longer works.  Haven't figured out what the update screwed up yet. 
I use the old win32.hlp because I find the format easier to read and use and the search facilities much better.

jimg

too many trees in this forest.
got the hlp file to work, but the find function is broken.
the file ftsrch.dll will not register no matter what I try, so no find ability.

k, finally found how.
You have to copy ftsrch.dll to the SysWOW64 folder as well now.

GuruSR

What version of the WinHlp32 are you using, I do know that Microsoft has a download link for 7 and up for it, not sure if you've got an "outdated" version that 10 simply hates.

GuruSR.
Learned 68k Motorola Asm instruction set in 30 minutes on the way to an Amiga Developer's Forum meeting.
Following week wrote a kernel level memory pool manager in 68k assembler for fun.

hutch--

I have had no problems with the version that Jim provided on Win 10 Professional. The anniversary Update overwrote the Winhelp engine it so I just ran Jim's batch file again and all is well. Microsoft still supply a version for Win7 so it does not have any problem.

GuruSR

Actually, the Vista one was working on Win 7 too, seems to be the same version, or at least didn't mind running in it.  Wonder if I should see if the original 98 32-bit one will run.  That'd be even funnier, but then again, it'll probably fail, but if it does fail, means MS broke one of their own rules.

GuruSR.
Learned 68k Motorola Asm instruction set in 30 minutes on the way to an Amiga Developer's Forum meeting.
Following week wrote a kernel level memory pool manager in 68k assembler for fun.

hutch--

My win32.hlp is from a 1997 Borland CD, its in winhelp format and it works fine.

deeR44

I just found 88 ".hlp" files on this laptop and not a way to look at a single one of them. "chm" files work ok though. How is a ".hlp" file used?

hutch--

The link at the top will solve that problem for you, download it, run it and you will then be able to read the old HLP format.