News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Installation problems in windows 10

Started by carmine, April 30, 2016, 09:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carmine

Hello forum, this is my first post here.
I'm trying installing MASM on my windows 10 PC.
However it generates a very weird window and doesn't do anything.
The window is in the attachments

jj2007

Potrebbe essere un antivirus che si comporta male. Prova a disattivarlo.

anunitu

All the issues I hear about win10 make me even surer I do not want to upgrade to it.

Gary Gaulin

I have what I hope is an easy question.

My computer came loaded with Windows 7, which I later upgraded to Windows 10 with the free upgrade. After beginning the installation of m32v11w10 I was prompted to "Select The Installation Partition" which gave the default of "C:\(WIN7)" even though Windows 7 is no longer installed.

Before doing something that might crash my computer I thought I better ask what I should do, before experimenting with hard drive partitioning or just installing it in the default WIN7 partition then wait to see what happens next.

jj2007

Just install it in C:\ and see if it works. The bigger problems are admin rights, antivirus and the like. The installation itself is simple, and it just creates one folder C:\Masm32 but does not write to the registry.

And btw: Welcome to the Forum :icon14:

hutch--

The partition names you are seeing is a left over from the original Win7 installation, if you have another hard disk partition, select it instead of C: as C: has restrictions in Win10 64 bit. There is no default partition that is preferred, just select another that has enough room in it and make sure your AV scanner does not interfere with the MASM32 installation.

anunitu

This brings up a question of mine. I have 3 external USB hard drives,one is 150 gigs,one is 300 gigs,and the last is a 500 gig drive.
What I am wondering is could you install Masm32 on an external drive,or even a 4 gig stick?..If your whole programming setup was all on said 4 gig stick

FORTRANS

Hi,

Quote from: anunitu on May 01, 2016, 09:38:06 PM
What I am wondering is could you install Masm32 on an external drive,or even a 4 gig stick?..If your whole programming setup was all on said 4 gig stick

My MASM32 setup is on, and was installed to, an external hard drive.

HTH,

Steve

Vortex

Hi anunitu,

You can even install Masm32 on your profile folder :

C:\>subst M: "C:\Documents and Settings\Vortex"

Gary Gaulin

Thanks for the help! There was no other partition on the list and at least for now 32 bits is all I need so I ignored the odd looking (WIN7) that came after the "C:\" prompt, then it installed with no errors!!

MASM was one of the first languages I ever learned. But that was back in the days of the first IBM-XT clones. I then migrated to Turbo Basic then Power Basic that allowed using Assembly code to be used. Later I had to become proficient in Visual Basic 6 and used that exclusively, so as you might expect I'm a little rusty in Assembly coding. Now that Microsoft killed off Visual Basic 6, which does not even work properly anymore in Windows 10 it is vital that I become proficient in another language or go back to using MASM. In my case the software I program is not overly complex but requires a large amount of bit manipulation, which is usually slow or cumbersome using high level languages. I miss the fast and simple bit rotations & left/right shift of Assembly.

After trying out a "hello world" for a number of alternatives including Java, Python, CUDA (I have a GPU installed) it seemed best that I also give MASM32 a try. It's not a cross platform language, but with the way higher level languages come and go I at least know that Assembly will be around for awhile. It was also relatively easy for me to recode for a new platform, although it's hard for me to know whether that is still true. In either case I'm thrilled to have the nice looking MASM32 editor on my screen and now I can't wait to try out a few of the sample programs.