Author Topic: microsoft drops Metro style  (Read 7614 times)

npnw

microsoft drops Metro style
« on: August 06, 2012, 03:21:46 AM »

mywan

Re: microsoft drops Metro style
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 09:30:12 PM »
http://news.yahoo.com/microsoft-drops-metro-style-brand-named-later-162627526.html

Maybe they are starting to learn?
No, they are only dropping the name "Metro" not the style itself. Apparently the leading contender is “Windows Design Style” for the same sucky style.

npnw

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 10:28:39 PM »
myway,

hmmmm.... that was the title? I'm getting old  :biggrin:

What I thought was interesting was that they don't have a name identity. They are not defining their work.... Not giving it focus?

I really didn't care about the name per se.... just that they seemed to be lost right now.  I'm kinda like Hutch, they were superb at one time, but are lacking in leadership right now.

mywan

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:38:58 AM »
Seems they finally picked a name, and trying to sell the idea that it was the name all along.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/10/metro_is_modern_ui_now/
Microsoft seems so eager to get its brand messaging in order that it has employed some rather hasty search and replacing, resulting in one panel with the boggling title, "Building a Windows 8 Modern UI-style UI."

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 06:55:04 AM »
Good link, I love it :t

Digging further, Microsoft's search and replace gremlins appear to already be at work on some of its other websites. In one post to the Microsoft Answers site, a questioner asks why none of the main Metro apps are working.
Whether this bit of revisionist history helps to clear up customer confusion is another matter, since the phrase "modern UI," in and of itself, is a fairly generic term.

Early example of a modern UI, circa 1920.
Masm32 Tips, Tricks and Traps

Some members can't live without insulting others. It tells us a lot about them.

mywan

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 04:21:38 PM »
The marketing departments apparently thinks they can redesign the UI by providing it a suitably cool name. Problem is you need a cool UI to inspire a cool name. I would have simply named it something like touch UI since that's really all it's really good for, and can be taken figuratively on a desktop. Better yet: Touche UI. Carries all the same connotations then some, and even implies poking a little fun at the nay-sayers. A meaning there for everybody, but maybe MS takes themselves too seriously for that...

zooba

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
One of the links from the earlier article has what could be a plausible reason http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/09/metro_to_be_called_windows8/:

Microsoft has tried to spin the change by claiming that Metro had only been a code name used by developers all along, and that it had never intended to use the term with the general public. But rumor has it that Redmond was forced to make the change when it failed to come to terms with giant German retailer Metro Group, which owns the Metro trademark.

As for "too seriously", have you seen the new Blue Screen of Death?  8)

Cheers,
Zooba  :t

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 03:56:26 PM »
I have always laughed at the fear of the "Blue Screen Of Death", you only know when you have made a real mess of things when you get the "Black Screen Of Death", forget text, colour or learning anything, the instant black screen told you all. Time to reboot.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

sinsi

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 06:09:40 PM »
The best was a reboot, no user interaction required. Windows 98 was good for that.

Just wondering, does linux have a similar screen-of-death?

mywan

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 07:04:14 PM »
The best was a reboot, no user interaction required. Windows 98 was good for that.

Just wondering, does linux have a similar screen-of-death?
Yes, it's called a kernel panic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kernel_panic

I guess I 'scared' Linux my share of times.

Ghandi

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 12:53:09 PM »
I must be an anomoly or abnormality, for some horrible reason i have an uncanny knack for either crashing electronic devices up to and including some that i never would have thought possible, a digital watch as an example.

They work perfectly until it they are on my wrist and then they loses time or simply die but if i take it off though it works normally again, this is no joke and it is the reason i cannot have a watch either analogue or digital, mechanical watches stop on me also.

I have crashed my microwave, simply programming a cook power and time schedule, it flashed "ERR" in the display before appearing to die. Power down and then back up again, it works fine.

PC's are regularly scrubbed and reinstalled because they either get too cluttered with software installs/uninstalls or they develop problems that make them slow and unusable.

I'm just resigned to it though because it has happened most of my life that i can remember so it isn't anything new, the only change is the device and the severity of the crash, hehe.

HR,
Ghandi