Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

New member - newbie in need of help

Started by dannykim92, December 03, 2016, 11:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannykim92

Hello everyone,

I'm an assembly newbie taking an assembly language course at my uni right now. I joined the forum because I am writing a program that I have been stuck on for two days. I have read through the rules of the forum and I am not looking for someone to do the work for me. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it as I have spent all day trying to figure out what is wrong with my code. I am using Visual Studio 2015. I have attached my project.zip file to this post which also includes the prompt for the program (Prog06A.pdf).

Whenever I compile my program it outputs "4219222" (even with different inputs) with added 0's for each time I go through the convertToString loop. I thought that the issue might be with the way I am using indirect addressing, leading to an address printing repeatedly but I looked through the code and couldn't find anything amiss. After some thought, I don't think that would be the issue because an address would be printed in hexadecimal, no?

If you need any other information please let me know and thank you for any help!

rrr314159

Welcome danny,

Unfortunately I don't use Visual Studio so can't help you, at least, not as easily as those who do. But I can tell you, that does sound like an address and your guess may well be right. You have to tell it specifically to print an address (or any number) in hex. No doubt your print statement, which shouldn't be printing this address, doesn't use hex specification, but integer.
I am NaN ;)

jj2007

INCLUDE Irvine32.inc

Most of us don't have this include file (this is very old stuff...). You could zip it and post it here, if you really want somebody debug this code.

VS is not a good tool for assembly. Your project does not even open in VC Express, the little brother of VS. And it's such a tiny little project.

I've also tried to open it in VS 2015 Community; that whale took a quarter of an hour to load (on a Core i5, go figure...), and then it asked (for the first time, trial period is over) for a M$ account, which I refuse to have. VS community is disgusting :eusa_boohoo:

In short: Use a more serious tool, like Masm32's qEditor. And tell your teachers (Paul D. Paulson, Justin Goins?) that the Masm32 SDK is orders of magnitudes better than the Irvine library.

dannykim92

rrr314159, thanks for the tip!

Yeah sorry jj2007, it's just what our professor set our class up with. This is the last program I need to write for this class so getting a new editor is not exactly my preferred solution. For some reason it won't let me edit my posting with the added Irvine.zip file. I also can't reply to your post with that attachment. But I can reply without the the attachment ... weird.

EDIT: Okay it's because the .zip file is too large.

TWell

it trash numArray while inputting numbers.

AssemblyChallenge

Hi, and welcome to the forum.

I do respect Irvine's work, in fact, his book is still one of my favourites in order to grasp several concepts... except using his Modules and the odd choise of VS as GUI for editing code. VS is between 6-8 GB in size, using it for Assembly is like taking The Big Bertha cannon for dove hunting, there is also the cumbersome MS account thingie.

You are just one among many students who come here with similar issues because of this. Unfortunately, teachers seems like they are still taking the easy, shortest path and using this outdated SDK. It would be nice if you kindly talk to your teacher(s) -or better yet, show him this site :greenclp: - so that maybe in the future he can get rid of VS behemoth (and licencing problems), and use MASM32 instead of Irvine. There are several good IDEs for Assembly, all of them small, portable and free.

Regards.  :t