Author Topic: Why you live longer owning a gun.  (Read 31588 times)

Ryan

Re: Why you live longer owning a gun.
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2012, 11:43:02 PM »
How would you have your daughter handle the situation?

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:13 AM »
. . .doing exactly what their parents instructed them to do.

Do you not see how pathetic that sounds? How sick has America become that we must teach our children how to shoot a gun so that they may feel safe. Some 350 million guns owned in this country. America, land of the free, home of the fearful. Yes indeed, how pitiful we have become!

It’s not about feeling safe - it’s about protecting children from sexual predators. Do you not see how pathetic, and callous, your response is?

Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2012, 04:53:47 AM »
it’s about protecting children from sexual predators.

Then daddy should really take care to explain in every detail how to handle this gun.

80% of all child abusers are the father, foster father, stepfather or another relative or close family friend of the victim.

Ryan

« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2012, 04:59:49 AM »
it’s about protecting children from sexual predators.

Then daddy should really take care to explain in every detail how to handle this gun.

80% of all child abusers are the father, foster father, stepfather or another relative or close family friend of the victim.
If the goal was to get the guy to run out of the house, she succeeded.  I'd say she handled it perfectly.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »
A 12 year old firing a handgun wildly thru a door and just by circumstance she hits the intruder is madness. It was just as likely that the bullet missed and killed one of the girl’s neighbors. I would ask, what the fuck is a 12 year old doing at home alone without an adult around? Is this what America his come to? Are you saying that we should give every child in America a handgun and teach them how to fire it? Yes the little girl drove the bad man away but she was just as likely to have shot herself or someone else. For every link posted here on the masm forum about a child shooting an intruder I can post ten links where a child has either shot themselves or some other innocent person. This stupidity that handgun ownership is a wonderful thing is absurd. There is nothing a gun lover can say that will convince me that this handgun owning madness we have in America is justified. Handgun ownership here in the states is at an all time high and in too many cases they are owned by morons that have no clue as to the proper use of a gun. It is a craziness induced by paranoia and fear!!

http://masm32.com/board/index.php?PHPSESSID=ace1dfb88a416d2f6093f760615c9ccd&topic=657.msg5365#msg5365

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2012, 10:18:12 PM »
A 12 year old firing a handgun wildly thru a door and just by circumstance she hits the intruder is madness.

You don’t know that she was firing wildly.

It was just as likely that the bullet missed and killed one of the girl’s neighbors.

No, it wasn’t. Even assuming that it was a wild shot, the further away a person is the less likely they will be hit, and the lower the velocity of the bullet, even if it does not have to pass through some obstacle, so the less likely a fatal wound is.

I would ask, what the fuck is a 12 year old doing at home alone without an adult around?

Few parents are in a position to always be at home when their child is.

Are you saying that we should give every child in America a handgun and teach them how to fire it?

I made no statement even related to this, but since you ask, I think such decisions should be left to the parents.

Yes the little girl drove the bad man away but she was just as likely to have shot herself or someone else.

Again, you don’t know this.

For every link posted here on the masm forum about a child shooting an intruder I can post ten links where a child has either shot themselves or some other innocent person.

I’m sure you can, but what does that have to do with this girl. She did not shoot herself or some other innocent person, and the police clearly stated that she acted properly.

This stupidity that handgun ownership is a wonderful thing is absurd. There is nothing a gun lover can say that will convince me that this handgun owning madness we have in America is justified.

It is justified for some people, and not for others.

Handgun ownership here in the states is at an all time high and in too many cases they are owned by morons that have no clue as to the proper use of a gun. It is a craziness induced by paranoia and fear!!

So letting morons do what morons do with a handgun is craziness. I would extend that to letting morons do what morons do with anything that significantly affects other people. Have you considered that the reason they can own handguns is that they can vote?
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2012, 11:16:31 PM »

If the goal was to get the guy to run out of the house, she succeeded.  I'd say she handled it perfectly.

So how should the girl "handle" the situation if Uncle Ryan came a bit too close? Like ten-year old little Joseph?

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
i saw a news video on this case
it showed the bullet hole - it was fairly obvious what happened
she was hiding in her bedroom closet, per her mother's instructions
when the closet doorknob turned, she fired a single, well-placed shot, a few inches above the door knob
the guy is lucky to be alive
she seemed like an intelligent, mature 12-year old on the interview - you'd think more like 16 or 17
had she faced the guy, she may not have been able to fire a shot
shooting a door is different than shooting a person, face-to-face
she did the right thing - the guy had no business being there
the "i was hungry" story just doesn't cut it

on a different note - hope you are fairing the storm well, today, Bill   :t

Bill Cravener

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2012, 03:14:33 AM »
on a different note - hope you are fairing the storm well, today, Bill   :t

Hi Dave,

It hasn’t been too bad where I live, that is if you don’t mind it raining day after day. The winds haven’t been too bad I think because once Sandy’s winds cross the Appalachian Mountains they tend to diminish. We are to continue getting rained on until Friday. The East Coast is another story, they really got hammered and millions of folks have no electric power. But President Obama was on the ball about this disaster unlike GW was during Katrina and even chubby Governor Christie of New Jersey has said Obama has done an exceptional job in getting FEMA on the job. It is very strange that we here in the northeast have experienced such a storm as this and I think it will go down in the record books as the first of this magnitude.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2012, 03:26:46 AM »
You don’t know that she was firing wildly.

Perhaps blindly would have been a better word. The fact is America has the highest rate of gun related injuries in the entire world among developed nations. According to the 2002 academic study “Gun Violence: The Real Cost” there were 52,447 deliberate and 23,237 accidental non fatal gunshot injuries in the United States during the year 2000, that’s according to the National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. I’m certain the numbers today are greater then that year.

You can add to that fact that America has the highest rate of gun related deaths among its peers in the industrialized world according to an academic review by the National Academy of Science. The US rate of gun related deaths is eight times higher than it is in countries that are economically and politically similar. About 9,000 people were murdered with guns here last year, according to the FBI. Our overall firearm related death rate is the world’s 12th highest which is just behind Mexico’s the home of the infamously brutal drug wars. And we Americans are right up there with countries like South Africa, Columbia and El Salvador, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

We have become a growing mass of paranoid schizophrenics who fear our own neighbors and the strangers we interact with on a daily bases. What a pathetic frightened people we Americans have become. So you gun lovers go ahead and continue hugging that teddy bear tightly if it makes you feel safe, but please be careful not to shoot yourself.

Ryan

« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2012, 03:34:27 AM »

So how should the girl "handle" the situation if Uncle Ryan came a bit too close? Like ten-year old little Joseph?
Are you trying to put me in the place of the intruder?  Under the assumption that the girl is my niece, I would be calling out her name and identifying myself.

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2012, 05:58:48 PM »
President Obama was on the ball about this disaster unlike GW was during Katrina and even chubby Governor Christie of New Jersey has said Obama has done an exceptional job in getting FEMA on the job. It is very strange that we here in the northeast have experienced such a storm as this and I think it will go down in the record books as the first of this magnitude.

It's Global Warming, Stupid
(the source is not Mitt Romney but rather some communist propaganda pamphlete ;))

mywan

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2012, 11:01:42 PM »
This stupidity that handgun ownership is a wonderful thing is absurd.
It's not a wonderful thing. It's a result of the fact that the world is not so wonderful, with or without guns. Removing guns does NOT change one iota of the reasons why people feel the need to own them in the first place. Implying that gun ownership is simply due to an ostensibly 'wonderful' love of guns is fallacious. Outlawing guns will not make the idiocy, on which you predicate your reasons for outlawing them, go away.

I do not 'love' guns, or own one, nor do I intend to. Do you still want characterize my position as a result of a 'love' of guns?

Bill Cravener

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2012, 02:21:59 AM »
I do not 'love' guns, or own one, nor do I intend to.

I must ask you mywan, are you an American?

We American’s weren’t always so irrational about gun ownership, though firearms were a more utilitarian household item 50-60 years ago when more families hunted game for sport and the dinner table. I have in fact been a game hunter for near 50 years. In 1968 after nearly a decade of high profile political assassinations Congress passed the most stringent firearms regulations since the 30’s despite the vigorous protests of the gun lobby. In the intervening years though the gun lobby has only grown more powerful and more radical and more unhinged pushing past the limits of human sanity. Its activists have forcefully battled to allow firearms on college campuses, in bars and most all public places here in the states, hell even in churches. Its members have persuaded state legislatures to pass notorious “Stand Your Ground” laws such as the Florida statute implicated in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

What a sad frightened people we American’s have become. It seems these days that American citizenship is defined not by the community we are and of which together we build but instead based on our right to own and carry a handgun in some delusion of self protection because we live in daily fear for our own safety. To call handgun ownership the American way or some notion of citizenship is an understatement when it is in fact an outrage. If we do not come to grips with the fact that handguns for self defense is a failure of a civil society to be mourned rather then an act of citizenship to be vaunted then we as American’s have lost all civility as well as our minds.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2012, 05:28:38 AM »
you cannot forget that the US won it's sovereignty from the British by way of private citizens with weapons
that's the reason it is entrenched into the constitution
the ideal holds a special meaning to Americans, and that's the main reason we still have guns in the US
they may call for stricter legislation and tighter controls,
but i doubt they will ever succeed in taking them away altogether