Author Topic: I hate touch screens!!  (Read 14808 times)

Bill Cravener

I hate touch screens!!
« on: September 05, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
Good grief!

A Stanford University study found that if you put a virus on a touch screen surface then about 30 percent of it will make the jump to the fingertips of anyone who touches it. From there it goes into the eyes, mouth, or nose when you have the need to scratch. And just to drive the point home, mobile phones and tablet touch screens (of all sorts) harbor 18 times more bacteria than a flush handle in a typical men's restroom.

Now with the growing threat of deadly new viruses, the spread of new mutant variety of the staphylococcus bacteria, a killer new strain of tuberculosis, common colds and a variety of other terrible new and revived old diseases sweeping the world, hand washing after contact in public places is more important than it ever was.

Yet researchers say 25 to 30 percent of men do not wash their hands compared to 10 to 15 percent of women who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. And I thought touching a keyboard or mouse was bad, now we have those filthy touch screens we must slide our fingers on. I started carrying a couple handy-wipes in my back pocket when I have to work on one of those filthy things, UGH!!

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
Re: I hate touch screens!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 04:18:06 AM »
Would that be this study, twisted almost beyond recognition?
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 04:39:56 AM »
I don’t know Michael. Are you questioning that those filthy things can transfer disease?

As to stats about washing ones hands those facts are well known. I read a report years ago about fast food places where it was found many employees do not wash their hands after using the loo and in many restaurants it was found the bathrooms didn't even have running water in the employee bathroom sinks. Let’s face it, too many folks are pigs!

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:57:26 AM »
I am lucky that most of the time my dirty hands come from industrial/building material that is non-biological. Things like paint, cement, mineral oils and the like do not carry bacterial or viral infestations but I am super careful about any biological matter.

I have just recently had a gall bladder removed and while I have no fear of an operation (if you wake up you have won) one of the few things that scares me is staph infections. I bothered to read up on it before the operation and took special precautions to ensure that I was not a source before I went into hospital (mucous membranes in humans etc ...). The particular hospital is very switched on about avoiding staph infections so I had no problems there and escaped after 2 days of observation.

I know of a few people who had horror stories when they ended up with a staph infection in hospital and it took months on antibiotics to fix it so the precautions made sense. Funny enough in an industrial world you could cut yourself, stick it in your mouth (after a few expletives), wipe it off on your filthy shirt then go back to work and you never had any problems, most industrial materials are sterile.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 09:01:49 AM »
Bill,

I’m not questioning the problem with spreading disease. It’s just that when I started searching for the original study I encountered several pages that were misinterpreting the study and/or “extending” the results, apparently to make some point.

Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

anunitu

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 09:29:15 AM »
That is the problem when doing research online,some of the things you run into end up being bogus you have to know how to separate the wheat from the chaff. People can say anything with no background that has scientific proof for the statements.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
i can't see how a touch-screen would be any cleaner - or dirtier - than a mouse or a keyboard   :P

i usually try not to touch my display
i don't like the smudges it leaves in the nice even layer of dust   :lol:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:24:53 AM by dedndave »

Bill Cravener

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 09:08:58 PM »
i can' see how a touch-screen would be any cleaner - or dirtier - than a mouse or a keyboard   :P

Dave, I quote my post above: "And I thought touching a keyboard or mouse was bad, now we have those filthy touch screens we must slide our fingers on."

One thing about keyboards and mice, you tend not to notice the filth as you do on a touch screen. I guess with me appearance has a lot to do with it. When I have to do something on someones touch screen and I see all the gunk on it I say to myself eewwww!

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 02:24:38 AM »
lol
yah - i sometimes sit at someone else's machine and look at the keyboard
think to myself "good thing it isn't a VCR"   :lol:

don't turn it upside down and shake it
it will just make matters worse

anta40

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 03:21:55 AM »
That's why if you have touch devices, make sure you wipe the screen regularly.
The same thing also applies to keyboards. Use the keyboad vacuum to get rid of dirt and dust.

I still do that ;)

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2012, 01:53:12 AM »
That's why if you have touch devices, make sure you wipe the screen regularly.
The same thing also applies to keyboards. Use the keyboad vacuum to get rid of dirt and dust.

I still do that ;)

We should do that all.  :lol:

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 09:17:40 PM »
I have just recently had a gall bladder removed and while I have no fear of an operation (if you wake up you have won) one of the few things that scares me is staph infections.

Steve,

I was searching for something here on the board and came across your comment about having your gall bladder removed. Sorry I missed that one. I am assuming everything turned out ok. A friend of mine who has recently turned 60 had to have his removed. Everything turned out fine except he doesn’t have health insurance and he just received the bill which comes to $11,000. He has the means to make payments on the bill but frets that he could lose his house (a very modest home) in order to pay off the cost of his surgery. He is self-employed and the cost of health insurance is beyond his means. It’s a real shame that the healthcare industry is such a racket here in the US. It is the number one cause of bankruptcies in this country.

Hope you are back to your old cranky aussie self! :biggrin:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:31:15 PM »
Hi Bill,

He is self-employed and the cost of health insurance is beyond his means. It’s a real shame that the healthcare industry is such a racket here in the US. It is the number one cause of bankruptcies in this country.

the American healthcare system is a real scandal. Michael Moore's documentation "Sicko" speaks volumes about that.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

mywan

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2012, 02:47:17 PM »
By cell count about 90% of the cells in your body are non-human organisms, the vast majority of which are bacteria. By weight they only account for 2 to 6 pounds of a 200 pound person. In fact, a healthy ecology of organism in an on your body is your best defense against infections of the relatively uncommon nastier variants, and preventing more common variants you are already infected with from turning deadly.

What is interesting is that quorum sensing is the primary mechanism for preventing and inducing this virulence. Quorum sensing is a communication mechanism much like ants use. Only bacteria have two separate languages. One to communicate with their own species. Another used to communicate with all other species of bacteria. In this way bacteria know when they are the dominant species living on/in your body. So long as no given species dominates (stasis is maintained) many potentially life threatening bacteria play nice inside your body throughout your life, and never cause a problem. Even being helpful. If some of these bacteria sense that they have obtained a dominant presents it induces gene expressions, through transcription, which can produce toxins, or signal the bacteria to enter into a virulent life cycle stage. This is why you can go from feeling fine to badly sick within a matter of hours. The responsible organism was likely there all along.

This can sometimes induce unwanted consequences with aggressive attempts at disinfection. If you disinfect, the remaining bacteria species is almost certainly much more limited, sometimes giving certain species a dominate position they could not have acquired otherwise. This is why hospitals are known for carrying superbugs that are almost unheard of elsewhere. It's not simply because sick people go there. It's because the superbugs have no competition from competing bacteria, and such, found in less thoroughly disinfected environments.

Moral of the story is, be clean, but don't get too radical. It could be the undoing of your intentions.

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
By cell count about 90% of the cells in your body are non-human organisms...
OMG, so how much % is left for the brain cells of those who vote for sorry, wrong thread :redface:

... why hospitals are known for carrying superbugs that are almost unheard of elsewhere. It's not simply because sick people go there. It's because the superbugs have no competition from competing bacteria, and such, found in less thoroughly disinfected environments.

Moral of the story is, be clean, but don't get too radical. It could be the undoing of your intentions.

Interesting (seriously 8)). So the "doctors must wash their hands" campaigns are not really helpful. Should hospitals instead spray some mix of yoghurt and Gorgonzola on their walls?