Author Topic: I hate touch screens!!  (Read 14789 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: I hate touch screens!!
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 04:47:29 PM »
Interesting comment, as a kid I grew up in a country area that had cow dung, mangrove swamps, tons of filth to play in plus every dangerous thing on the east coast of OZ, funnel web spiders, ordinary redbacks, black snakes, brown snakes, tiger snakes, obnoxious magpies etc etc .... but the upshot was two things, be careful and ending up with an immune system like a cockroach. Something that has often been done wrong is parents believing the bullsh*t of advertising where kids grow up in s sterile environment and are a free kick for every infection that goes around as they grow up.

I have recently had my gall bladder out and I bothered to read up on staph infections and one of the main sources apart from what you catch in hospital is yourself through your own mucus membranes. I know people who had staph infections in hospital and it took them months to get rid of it on strong antibiotics. The other trick is to get out of the hospital as fast as possible to reduce the length of exposure to such problems.

If you live in a normal slightly grubby but non biological world, you rarely ever catch anything and even if you are exposed to something, if you are fundamentally healthy and have a robust immune system your risk level is far lower. One of the reasons why people in 3rd world countries suffer from diseases that are not common in more affluent countries is their nutrition and hygene are poor and in combination, they are at much higher risk of dangerous diseases.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
JJ,

> Interesting (seriously ). So the "doctors must wash their hands" campaigns are not really helpful. Should hospitals instead spray some mix of yoghurt and Gorgonzola on their walls?

One of my bad habits when working on sharp things or burns to my hands is to stick the damaged part in my mouth (apart from the occasional expletive) and it works fine in the open but I doubt it translates well to a hospital environment. When I ran my business I regularly bashed my hands around, skinned knuckles and got skin burns but in an industrial environment you never got an infection. Do the same thing around the house and you were at risk.

My current trick if I cut myself is to keep a trigger spray of colloidal silver handy, works great.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

mywan

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 08:51:07 PM »
Interesting (seriously 8)). So the "doctors must wash their hands" campaigns are not really helpful. Should hospitals instead spray some mix of yoghurt and Gorgonzola on their walls?
It has more to do with the strong disinfectants than hand washing. In effect the only thing that lives through it is the stuff you really don't want to b in contact with, and it has no competition from good bugs to hinder it. Soap and water is technically a disinfectant but it's not the same as using an antibacterial agent. Its mode of operation is basically as a surfactant.

Hutch made a relevant comment about the home, relative to an industrial setting. It is a demonstrable fact that in essentially every home it is safer to eat in your bathroom than in your  your link does not work IDIOT . Your generally better off making that sandwich on the back of your toilet than on your  your link does not work IDIOT  counter. The reason is basically because people spend a lot more time cleaning the  your link does not work IDIOT , and this cleaning process distributes whatever localized bacterial colonies all over the  your link does not work IDIOT . The same process distributes the moisture and bits of nutrients to allow it to grow all over the entire surface as well.

The most effective method of disinfecting is dry heat. It's about the only environment in which life cannot adapt to. Except with the very rare exception of dormancy type response, which means the bug is basically inactive anyway. Even then the amount of heat they can survive is limited. You can use a toaster oven to disinfect your cleaning rags between use. You can also use a microwave, but make sure the cleaning pad is damp first. It'll take about 4 minutes in the microwave to kill everything, but 99% are gone after 2.

There is also a new mouthwash (pending FDA approval) that uses targeted anti-microbial peptides. This means it specifically targets bad bacteria (Streptococcus mutans) while leaving good bacteria unaffected. The limited 12 person 4 day study resulted in all 12 people being completely free from Streptococcus mutans the entire 4 days after only a single use. Unlike broad spectrum products the good bacteria it leaves unharmed remains as a defensive barrier from Streptococcus regrowth or reinfection.

Hutch also makes a good point about grubby environments in general, though it's not strictly limited to non-biological grubbiness, so long as certain conditions are met. People who grow up in farm environments suffer far fewer allergies and a host of other illnesses. Avoiding contact altogether is the worst possible choice. You never actually catch the same cold twice. Every new cold you catch is a genetic variant to get around the immunity your immune system developed in response to your last cold(s). Allergies are in a basic sense the result of an immune response that freaks out, because your immune system wasn't prepared for knowing how to deal with it properly. This immune response then becomes the disease triggered by what should have been a non-issue.

To illustrate this, blistering is an immune response, not the result of heat or friction itself. This is clearly illustrated when hypnotized people believe they are being burned will blister, with no heat or friction involved. After high school I did some hot roofing, which resulted is constant blisters from splashed hot tar. After about 6 weeks of this the 550 degree tar would no longer blister me, or even get red or irritated. Over-protection from the environment is not the answer. You quiet possibly wouldn't even live till morning without the help of some of the bugs hosted in your body.

If you still think bacterial avoidance is a good idea, consider fecal transplants:
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/26/health/fecal-transplant/index.html

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2012, 10:02:18 PM »
Well, at least she didn’t have to ingest it in the normal way :biggrin: 
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.