Author Topic: Seems the burghers of Brussels have made another enemy.  (Read 18185 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Seems the burghers of Brussels have made another enemy.
« on: September 08, 2012, 03:07:45 PM »
Anti-European tide sweeps Dutch marshlands

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19524058

I wonder when this EU farce will end ?
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Seems the burghers of Brussels have made another enemy.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 03:31:49 PM »

When the fifty states South of Canada and North of Mexico decide to split up, then maybe the European Union would follow their example.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 03:40:43 PM »
 :biggrin:

We all may get to see the Republic of California (República de California) in our lifetime, north eastern US will join Canada, the south will become part of Mexico and the midwest will turn back into the Wild West.  :P
hutch at movsd dot com

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:26:43 PM »
Steve,

Anti-European tide sweeps Dutch marshlands

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-19524058

The entire trick is: We've a lot of European bureaucrats here (that is ordinary riff-raff). They regulate the curve radius of gherkins and the minimal radius of apples - that's the truth and not a joke! But at the moment the main problem is: Goldman Sachs entered the European Central Bank, because Mario Draghi is a former Goldman Sachs man.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Draghi The current Italian prime minister, Mario Monti, is a Goldman Sachs fellow, too. Very dangerous.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

anunitu

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:12:38 PM »
As for California,for years there have been talks of splitting the state into two. To be truthful Southern and Northern California have never gotten along,a very different political and lifestyle difference exists in each one. 

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:29:55 PM »
when the fifty states South of Canada and North of Mexico decide to split up...

That would be 48 states.
Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
If the new Chinese logic prevails, then soon Alaska will return to Russia. And Hawaii? ::)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »
If I was a betting man, I would go for Alaska getting into bed with Canada, the Russians don't have much action over the Pacific side. The other factor is the most prolific corporate raiders in the US are Canadian, not Chinese. Hawaii would be harder to pick, it was sneaked from the British many years ago due to an American naval base so they may declare it as a hula republic by itself. The Chinese are more interested in things closer to them, Taiwan for starters and a large area of disputed waters that have many different resources in them.

California is a different proposition, it may have socialogical differences but it is a world scale economy in its own right and I can see a number of the western states trying to get into bed with California to be part of a viable economy. Northern border states will probably go with Canada if they will have them.

RE: The EU, the economic disaster has yet to fully bight, the current situation is Germany is benefiting from an artificially low Euro because of the number of basket case economies on the fringe of the EU. The bulk of the problems would be solved with each country returning to its own currency as this would allow them to float the exchange rate against each other but it will come at the price that Germany's exchange rate will go up and damage their exports.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 11:47:30 PM »
RE: The EU, the... bulk of the problems would be solved with each country returning to its own currency as this would allow them to float the exchange rate against each other

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to propose for the U.S., too. Fifty different dollars, that must be the solution to the crisis that George Dubbleyu left behind :t

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 12:21:46 AM »
RE: The EU, the... bulk of the problems would be solved with each country returning to its own currency as this would allow them to float the exchange rate against each other

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to propose for the U.S., too. Fifty different dollars, that must be the solution to the crisis that George Dubbleyu left behind :t

The actual crisis has not only to do with the George Dubbleyu, but with printed money by the FR without any value.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

anunitu

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »
I think that what we are passing through is not just an economic downturn,but the beginning birth pains of a complete change in our entire system. The world economy as it now stands is weak and most likely unmaintainable over the long term. I think the economy we have now will transform into something so different that we may end up passing through a violent period while we adjust to our brave new world. 

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 12:43:49 AM »
I think Gunther is on the money here pointing the finger at the Federal Reserve, when a country loses control of its currency, it ends up in trouble. The US was a powerhouse economy before 1913 when the Federal Reserve was established yet the great depression brought it to its knees. FDR more or less restored it but a lot of damage was done. The EU is not a dis-similar problem in allowing financial control of a single currency where voters are effectively excluded from how it works.

For once the English got it right when the retained their own currency and missed out on at least some of the woes of the continent.

I wonder how long it will take to connect the idea that globalism only works for a few at the expense of the many ? In days of old borders acted as a firewall so if one economy had a hiccup, the rest of the world did not get indigestion. A few years ago the Chinese stock market did a quick dive and the rest of the world dropped by about 10% in one day. It came back but it made the point that the world is dangerously interconnected economically.

We live in interesting times.
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 02:23:09 AM »
For once the English got it right when the retained their own currency

Indeed, during the crisis they have become extremely competitive :greensml:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 10:44:12 AM »
I guess its who you compare it against, for all of the ills of the UK, try Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Italy, Greece, the Baltic states, why the Ukraine went back into bed with Russia, etc etc ....

At the going rate the new EU economic model will be Iceland.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:09 PM »
I guess its who you compare it against, for all of the ills of the UK, try ..

Sorry, I forgot to explain the graph: It's comparing the performance of the UK Pound Sterling against the Euro, and the downward trend means the Euro gets stronger and stronger. Ask the UK citizens who had to stay at home this summer because their holidays in Euroland were unaffordable.

The other side of the coin is that with the weak Pound Sterling, they could export like hell. In theory. In practice, they have nothing to offer, except "financial services" :(
 :biggrin: