News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Some Relocations Required (not for the faint of heart)

Started by Gunther, January 08, 2018, 09:04:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj2007

Quote from: johnsa on January 11, 2018, 11:52:39 PMHe fell off the face of the earth, I can only assume something unfortunate...

Maybe Andreas leads a pleasant, quiet life in Neckartailfingen taking care of his grandkids... ;)

felipe

Hutch i'm really grateful to what you have done and to others contributions too. Unfortunately i'm still an apprentice and i can't make to much work for now either. You are completely in your right to do whatever you want with the forum. I'm sure i will always remember it.
It's a little sad to me, and maybe to others too, to post code that's too simple. Sometimes i think it should go to the campus (the code i'm working with), then i think: "maybe really newbies will be confused or intimidated" (probably i'm exaggerating here). Then i think: "this is to simple crap to the people in the forum who know all this things". So, sometimes i think it's difficult to post code for those reasons (but i have never made a post, with just the .exe). As far as i know it's not an academic forum (i mean strictly speaking, like a college property or similar), it has helped a lot to beginners (at least i think that's my case). Well, in conclusion, it's not an easy task to have a forum running with an exclusive profile. Btw, i think the emerge, in the same forum, of 64 bits (a very natural thing of course) have made even more difficult to post 32 bits programs without thinking: "this is a crap that nobody will like". But assembly language it has been always like this (probably), in the end, it's a pretty lonely path. Of course you can change this with a good community. As far as the forum exists (with reasonable rules like the ones that exists now) i will be a happy member (if allowed to me) but i guess it will take time to me to produce some code than others can enjoy.  :idea:

hutch--

felipe,

The code you post is in fact useful to other people, we all had to start somewhere and progressively more complex code helps others on the same path. This type of code is not a status symbol, its just work and more work and more work but you do get faster with practice and that simplifies the process of developing more advanced code over time. It is often the case that if one of the older fellas post some very complex code, few others will understand it so it is no use to them.

You may laugh at this, I will never post the asm code for QE as it is written with all of my own bad habits and quirks and would be a genuine nightmare for anyone else to try and comprehend. Over time as you get enough practice, the best way to post complex code is to put it into a library module so that others can read it if they want to but can use it without having to digest its internals. Often the fastest code is just about unreadable to human beings.