News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Small favour needed, test precision with sprintf.

Started by hutch--, September 05, 2018, 02:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSE

Quote from: Siekmanski on September 06, 2018, 06:09:16 AM
What do you mean exactly?

If code that work with ML don't work with AsmC,
   then AsmC is not compatible with ML
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

jj2007

include \masm32\MasmBasic\MasmBasic.inc ; download
.data
MyR10 REAL10 1234567890.1234567890123

Init
  Inkey Str$("This is the highest resolution possible without a bignum library:\n%Jf", MyR10)
EndOfCode

This is the highest resolution possible without a bignum library:

mineiro

Press any key to continue...
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

nidud

deleted

HSE

Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

I think I know what Marinus was trying to do, split the input data between the lead integer and the decimal fraction and while you cannot extract more out of 64 bit maths in terms of precision, split into 2 components you may be able to handle each one separately to get a 64 x 64 precision level.

ALSO : Thanks to those folks who fed back the results on the sprints test piece, it means sprintf is safe to use from XP64 upwards.

Siekmanski

Quote from: hutch-- on September 06, 2018, 12:38:24 PM
I think I know what Marinus was trying to do, split the input data between the lead integer and the decimal fraction and while you cannot extract more out of 64 bit maths in terms of precision, split into 2 components you may be able to handle each one separately to get a 64 x 64 precision level.

You are correct, but I was wrong in assuming it could work that way.
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

raymond

Quotesplit into 2 components you may be able to handle each one separately to get a 64 x 64 precision level.

NOT UNLESS you use some bignum library.

As far as I know, MASM can only handle the equivalent of 64 bits with REAL10, AND that would hold only if you modify the control word for precision in your program (finit does that); otherwise the default precision under Windows is 53 bits for floats.

If you declare a float in the data section with more than the maximum usable number of digits for a REAL10, the surplus ones are simply disregarded in the resulting binary equivalent which is stored.
If you try to split a float into its integer and fractional components as two separate entries in your data and later attempt to recombine them as an entity, any surplus 'digit' would again get dropped out, negating any intended gain in accuracy.
Whenever you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

aw27

Working with REAL10 we have 19 significant digits.
So, is not possible to print 123456.1234567890123456 even using the trick of subtracting the integer part from the whole number and print in 2 parts.
It is however possible to print: 123.1234567890123456 (eventually also 1234.1234567890123456, but is not guaranteed and we have to confirm).

hutch--

You are only ever going to get the number of digits that the data size handles at its maximum. My own view is that in most instances, REAL4 or REAL8 do the job and while there are application for REAL10 or big number libraries but unless you are plotting points in other galaxies, the extra precision is not much use to you. The "sprintf" CRT function I have used has a number of flags for truncation or reduced precision levels, the alternative is to truncate the decimal fraction to an arbitrary count depending one what is required.

With the distinction between floating point string display and the actual floating point value, you can simply truncate the string to whatever is needed in the application but retain the actual fp value in the variable it is stored in. This would not be all that hard to code as you allocate the memory for the string plus 8 bytes, write the fp value at the start of the memory and write the string after it.

aw27

The windows runtime does not provide any function to print an 80-bit floating point value (Delphi and Free Pascal have functions for that). We can do it with ASM, but as you said it is not needed at all.  If we really need a huge amount of decimals, for example to calculate the value of PI with 1 billion decimals we will need to resort to a Big Number library which will do it in software.

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on September 07, 2018, 04:56:51 AMin most instances, REAL4 or REAL8 do the job

Right. My Str$() loads whatever size on the FPU and spits out variable precision up to REAL10, simply because a single routine can handle all sizes, and the performance penalty REAL10 vs REAL4 is negligible (if any). But of course, if you want to determine the "exact" position of a pixel on the screen, then REAL4 is more than enough. GdiPlus takes integer and REAL4 args but never REAL8.

OTOH "in assembly, we can print 19 digits" can be an argument when discussing advantages over the CRT ;)

nidud

deleted

raymond

QuoteDoubleToInt proc val:real8
DoubleToInt(123456.1234567890123456)
->  123456.1234567890060134

This proves the point I tried to make in my previous post. The data supplied as input for a REAL8 was cropped after the initial 16 significant digits in the decimal system. Trying to recover the cropped digits in print only resulted in garbage being displayed (060134) for those dropped digits (123456), certainly not improving any precision and possibly misleading the recipient.

But, as programmers, let's not mix "apples and oranges" and forget about mathematical principles. The precision limit of a real8 is stated as having a maximum of 16 significant digits in the decimal system, which means the total number of the digits in both the integer and fractional portions.

For example, 5000000000000000000.10203 would have 23 significant digits,
while, 0.00000000000000000010203 would have only 5 significant digits.
Whenever you assume something, you risk being wrong half the time.
http://www.ray.masmcode.com

nidud

deleted