Author Topic: US Presidential debate.  (Read 15886 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
US Presidential debate.
« on: October 04, 2012, 07:26:15 PM »
Nod seems to be that Romney won the first debate with comments that Obama looked a bit tired and flat footed. Will be interesting to see if it effects the vote.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Bill Cravener

Re: US Presidential debate.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2012, 10:39:04 PM »
Well Steve, I have to agree but President Obama does have a bit more to deal with then practicing on his debating skills. He is after all the president with much going on behind the scenes. He did appear a bit tired and perhaps disappointed that on his 20th anniversary married to Michele he had to spend it debating of all people Mitt Romney. Romney has spent much of the past three to four weeks practicing on yesterday’s debate. Besides that, debates have rarely decided the outcome of an election. I keep a close eye and regardless of which Electoral College forecast you look at President Obama holds quite a lead as it now stands. These Electoral forecasts tend to be on the mark and unless something drastic was to occur seem to show what the inevitable outcome will be.

Here are but a few:
http://electoral-vote.com/
http://core.talkingpointsmemo.com/election/scoreboard
http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/romney-vs-obama-electoral-map

I would add that I continue to believe we are witnessing the slow yet gradual destruction of the Republican Party as it presently stands. The problem started with Ronald Reagan who embraced the Religious Right, trickle-down economics, and recently the Tea Party. It is now the lunatics on the right that run the Republican asylum and the results are becoming quite evident. What I keep hearing is the growing anger toward the Republicans for purposely preventing recovery by blocking such measures as the American Jobs Act, the Vets Jobs bill and other proposals the president has tried to bring forth in rebuilding the economy. Republicans seem to think they can strangle the economy in broad daylight and people will blame no one else other then President Obama. This belief requires extraordinary contempt for the American people by the Right. They still don't seem to realize that this attempt to destroy the Obama administration makes many of the American people very angry at Republicans! I am convinced that Republicans actually believe that seniors who have worked all their lives and put money into the social security system are moochers. That they actually believe the handicapped, disabled veterans, orphans and lower income folks of all sorts are moochers. The percentage of income tax I pay is higher than Romney's and I personally believe he is the true moocher because he has taken far more from the government teat than I could ever dream of taking. I despise the man and how he has built his great wealth off the backs of hard working people.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:17:24 AM »
i don't see how anyone can claim to know "who won the debate"
when i hear things like that, i always assume it to be biased reporting
they tell you "who won", to influence your belief in who actually won - lol

Bill Cravener

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 01:40:22 AM »
You are absolutely correct Dave. We are such a winner loser society here in the states, its nonsense! I clearly remember President Bush losing the 90-minute primetime 2004 debate skirmish with John Kerry where he made Junior look like an imbecile and yet GW went on to win re-election. Debates mean very little unless something really outstanding is said that turns the voter. Most voters have made up their minds already and the debates are, for those who care, simply entertainment.

Last nights debate has however made the Republicans feel better about whom they have chosen to be their guy.  As of late many on the Right are having doubts that he's the right one. :biggrin:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 04:02:59 AM »
I think that Mr. President has to be a tough costumer in the next debates.

Gunther
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 04:17:50 AM »
Hi Gunther,

I think all President Obama and VP Joe Biden have to do is not stick their foot in their mouths in the coming debates and they will come out of it on top.

By the way from what I’ve gathered from resent polling it shows dem to repub voters: Women = 49-31 percent, Latinos =  71-21 percent, African-Americans = 94-0 percent, Asian Americans = 59-30 percent and the Elderly = 51-42 percent. But lets not forget white men = 42-50 percent. That last one is telling.

Rolling Stone’s online magazine has a great piece about 5 of Romney’s outright lies he spit out in last nights debate. Shameful!!
Mitt Romney turned in a polished performance in last night's presidential debate – and revealed himself to be an accomplished and unapologetic liar. In an evening where he sought to slice and dice the president with statistics, Romney baldly misrepresented his own policy prescriptions, made up numbers to fit his attacks and buried clear contrasts with the president under a heaping pile of horseshit.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-first-debate-mitt-romneys-five-biggest-lies-20121004

Gunther

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 06:26:13 AM »
Hi Bill,

By the way from what I’ve gathered from resent polling it shows dem to repub voters: Women = 49-31 percent, Latinos =  71-21 percent, African-Americans = 94-0 percent, Asian Americans = 59-30 percent and the Elderly = 51-42 percent. But lets not forget white men = 42-50 percent. That last one is telling.

I agree with you. It's an interesting statistic.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-first-debate-mitt-romneys-five-biggest-lies-20121004

A very good article by Tim Dickinson.  :t

Gunther

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »

If I’m interpreting those numbers correctly, they are obviously not representative of reality.

Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 03:40:42 PM »
Women = 49-31 percent, white men = 42-50 percent

If I’m interpreting those numbers correctly, they are obviously not representative of reality.

(Women+white men)= 45.5:40.5, the rest are minorities. A bit too optimistic indeed...

Bill Cravener

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »

Who’s reality, yours? Political polls often provide a confusing mix of results and polls broken down by race are hard to find. Those are the best stats I could find on the web. The stats I posted do not include undecided voters or those who just don’t care. Tell you what, how about you do some digging of your own and show me otherwise. One thing is clear here in America and that is the majority of christian whites (especially when it comes to white males) in the US vote republican and though it is often denied the fact is the reason it’s that way is do to prejudice against other races and religions.

FORTRANS

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 11:02:20 PM »
Hi,

On a less serious note, a "Fresh Air" interview of Stephen
Colbert seems the only likeable political discussion I have
heard in recent (or not so recent) times.

http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13&prgDate=10-04-2012

Hmm, where did the forum thread on themes/formating go?

Regards,

Steve N.

cman

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 12:36:33 AM »
Obama didn't show up with his 'A' game this time , for sure.  He missed many great opportunities to challenge Mitt on his dubious tax plan , Medicare program , military plans , and so on. You also didn't hear anything about the 47% comment , Mitt's Swiss bank account , Bane capitol , his poor record as Governor of Massachusetts , etc. . I guess you have to take into account that Obama has not debated for a while and has the job of running the country while Mitt Romeny has basically been a "professional presidential candidate" the last ten years who has unlimited time and resources to prepare for debates. Obama could have done more , however.  :(

MichaelW

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2012, 07:52:00 AM »
Bill,

I feel no need to check the polls because I trust that your numbers are representative…of the polls. My point is that they are not representative of our political reality. As a simplification I took only the numbers for white males, white females, and African Americans, combined them with data from the 2010 census, and calculated a Democrat/Republican split of about 55/45. If this were realistic then, for example, the Democrat/Republican split for Congress should be in the vicinity of 55/45, where the actual split is more like 45/55. And if I had included the other groups, all of which show more or less of a Democrat bias, the calculated split would have been somewhat further from reality.

In my view the problem is not with idiots voting Republican, it’s with idiots voting.

Well Microsoft, here’s another nice mess you’ve gotten us into.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2012, 08:31:41 PM »
Bill,

In my view the problem is not with idiots voting Republican, it’s with idiots voting.

I can agree with you there Michael!

Gunther

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2012, 11:15:42 PM »
Bill,

I can agree with you there Michael!

I agree with Michael, too.

Gunther