Author Topic: New member  (Read 2386 times)

16bitPM

« on: October 15, 2018, 11:19:45 PM »
Hello everybody,

As an all-time assembly fan, I just joined this forum (I have been on others like fasm and osdev).
As my nickname suggests, I'm interested in retrocomputing and systems programming, but of course modern assembly can be quite fun too! (I did a small contribution for secp256k1, written in x86_64 assembly).
I've tried many different assemblers over the years, but somehow I always come back to the good old MASM syntax. I just enjoy it too much, even if it does have its quirks.
ATM I'm into UASM. Japeth did a wonderful job there with, well, all of his software. I'm glad that MASM has reincarnated in this next-gen, multiplatform and open-source gem.

To the admin(s) I say: I will try to follow the guidelines as good as possible, please give me some time to implement all of it ;) It will be very soon though.

-d-

jj2007

• Assembler is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2018, 11:51:23 PM »
You might like this thread: http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=7467.0

Welcome to the Forum :icon14:

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 12:53:51 AM »
 :biggrin:

> I'm glad that MASM has reincarnated in this next-gen, multiplatform and open-source gem.

I suggest you will find the UASM and Nidud's versions are resurrections of JWASM. 64 bit MASM is alive and well and has a massive distribution base. You will find that Both John with UASM and Nidud with ASMC have done very good work and turned a rough assembler like JWASM into things worth using.

As far as the old 16 bit stuff, I doubt you will do much better than old MASM or TASM as they both had a decent sized user base. Both could do it all in the 16 bit real mode OS versions.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

16bitPM

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2018, 04:35:22 AM »
I suggest you will find the UASM and Nidud's versions are resurrections of JWASM.

That's what I meant with my reference to Japeth (the author behind JWASM, 386SWAT etc...)

Thanks for the reply!
-D-

felipe

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2018, 05:36:16 AM »
Hello 16bitpm, welcome to the forum.  :icon14:

blue_devil

• SCTZine
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 05:56:28 AM »
Hi 16bitpm, welcome to board  8)
..Dreams make the future