News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

How to test and run assembly programs without Visual Studio

Started by trananht1612, October 17, 2018, 07:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trananht1612

when I tried to run a simple program in your famous masm32 assembler, my computer tried opening up Visual Studio (and of course, my trial expired, so I didn't get a chance to view the output of my program). This is getting annoying. Can someone please tell me where I can get a free IDE that will compile, run, and output the results of masm programs WITHOUT Visual Studio?

hutch--

:biggrin:

Sounds like you have been having fun. Go to the link at the top right of the forum, download MASM32 SDK and install it on a different partition if you have more the C:.

Once you have it installed and running properly you can use the later version of ML.EXE from your VS directory.

Then show us what the code was that you were trying to build.

jj2007

Hi Antran,

Welcome to the forum, and nice to meet you :icon14:

Hutch is the boss here, but many others will also be willing to help you. For the installation, see here a step-by-step guide (you can ignore steps 5-7).

Can you write some words about your background, and why you are interested in assembly programming?

hutch--

My real title is the Janitor, I sweep the floors, put the garbage out, referee the occasional disagreement and shovel spammers out the door faster than Haley's comet.  :biggrin:

Adamanteus

If to you need to build Visual Studio project, is need to use project manager, as NMake from MS SDK - and write to it makefile, that is better to do by some system, as from this topic.

aw27

my computer tried opening up Visual Studio (and of course, my trial expired, so I didn't get a chance to view the output of my program)
Very weird, never happened to me.

hutch--

I have seen that happen a long time ago, when a demo runs out of time it just stops working. Trick is to extract the binaries you want from it and then completely remove it.

aw27

It can happen with the paid versions of VS Studio.
But I was thinking on the free VS Community editions, you need to register with a free Microsoft account after 30 days but a free of charge obligation is usually not an issue.