Author Topic: Professional bugs  (Read 23135 times)

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Re: Professional bugs
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2022, 10:22:41 PM »
Oops, now Oracle informs me that shared folders won't work without guest additions - thank you :thup:

So why the hell are they not installed automatically?
Why does their advice to click on "Insert..." in the devices menu not work? I can click there, but it does ... nothing. No feedback, just nothing :sad:

Later: a miracle! After several reboots, out of the blue, Oracle suggests that I install the guest additions!!! What a pity that it can't do it, for some obscure reason, see below :sad:

One file was extracted, then comes the error. I click ok, and it says that I can consult the log file at C:\Program Files\Oracle\... which, of course, doesn't exist. Oracle, I suggest your programmers start learning some BASIC dialect, since what you are currently using clearly confuses them.

This is so ridiculous :cool:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Oracle VirtualBox professional bugs
« Reply #91 on: June 02, 2022, 02:30:42 AM »
Latest news is that my Windows 7 guest works fine, and I can even work with a drive shared with Windows 10. However, the guest OS Explorer calls my drive F: Disconnected Network Drive (F:). Isn't that cute? It works fine, though. Btw it's a recognised bug, and Oracle will fix it soon (so they said in 2015) :cool:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Firefox is a bug
« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2022, 01:48:30 AM »
Windows 7-64 greets me with Display driver stopped responding and has recovered, minutes after I allowed Firefox to update to the latest and most beautiful version ever.

Windows greets me 5 times in a loop until I decide to hold the power button 6 seconds, and reboot in safe mode.

I get Windows running without problems, but FF connects only to my local startpage - the Internet is far away for good ol' Firefox  :cool:

Chrome works fine, as you can see. Bye bye, Firefox? :mrgreen:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
A sad story about Microsoft Edge
« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2022, 04:35:06 AM »
After some searching for RAM use etc, I decided to give Edge a chance.

So far, so good, except when I right-click on a link and choose "Open link in new tab" it does... tadaaa! ... nothing. Somehow this dumb animal assumes that I don't want to see the page that I just opened, i.e. it does not activate the tab :sad:

It reminds me of qEditor's "Build all" etc menu entries. Never, ever in my whole programmer's life have I assembled and linked a source without the urgent desire to see if it works. Fortunately, there is a simple workaround - you can add a batch file to menus.ini (the %~dpn1.exe does the job):

Code: [Select]
[&Project]
Build+Run Console,\MASM32\BldRunUAsmConsole.bat "{b}"
Code: [Select]
@echo off
del %~dpn1.exe
\masm32\bin\UAsm64 /c /coff "%~dpn1.asm"
\masm32\bin\polink /subsystem:console %~dpn1.obj
del %~dpn1.obj
if not exist %~dpn1.exe echo. & echo ******* There was an error, please check ******* & echo. & pause
%~dpn1.exe

I've tried a lot to find at least an extension that would allow to automatically activate the newly loaded page in Edge - no luck. It seems that Billions of Edge users love clicking on the tab after it has loaded. As Trump would say: so sad :sad:

P.S.: Just found a page that says
"Go to Extensions in the Edge settings (...) and search for "Tab Activate". Works like a charm."

Fun fact: That was 2020. Now searching "Tab Activate" yields "No search results found". So the Edge developers took this option away.

HSE

• AMD 7-32 / i3 10-64
Re: A sad story about Microsoft Edge
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2022, 06:21:34 AM »
It reminds me of qEditor's "Build all" etc menu entries. Never, ever in my whole programmer's life have I assembled and linked a source without the urgent desire to see if it works.

For big projects I call from menu; MakeIt, RunIt and MakeRunIt  :biggrin:

Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2022, 09:40:22 AM »
 :biggrin:

> It reminds me of qEditor's "Build all" etc menu entries.

There are those of us who want to see if the build results are OK, if you have tangled something and it did not build correctly, why try to run something that is broken ? This is why I always use the assembler/linker output rather than a piped output to a UI, better to know that have to guess what has clapped out.  :tongue:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »
if you have tangled something and it did not build correctly, why try to run something that is broken ?

Perfectly right, Hutch. If there is a build error, I don't/can't run the exe, obviously, so I expect that my editor jumps to the offending line and tells me what's wrong:

However, if there is no build error, then I want to see my executable in action, immediately, without the need to look for another menu.

It's a matter of taste, obviously :cool:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
Windows 10 is a bug
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2022, 09:09:48 AM »
That OS sucks like hell.

When Win7 asks you for the admin password, you type it and hit Return.
When Win10 asks you for the admin password, you type it and hit Return, and nothing happens - because the idi*ts at Redmond forgot to set the focus to the edit field.

I am currently fighting with an issue regarding buttons. More soon.

The captions do not have colours that allow to distinguish between active and inactive windows. Besides, the buttons to the right are so ridiculously spaced that a small window has not enough space for the title. So you see "H.." instead of "Hello World" :sad:

HSE

• AMD 7-32 / i3 10-64
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2022, 09:38:59 AM »
so I expect that my editor ...  tells me what's wrong:

Guau!!  That new arrow look fantastic. I don't see it yet :thumbsup:

jj2007

• Assembly is fun ;-)
    • MasmBasic
« Reply #99 on: August 11, 2022, 09:49:16 AM »
Apparently, you don't have the latest version, Hector. Btw, how does your editor handle build errors?

quarantined

Re: Windows 10 is a bug
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2022, 11:05:11 AM »
That OS sucks like hell...

The captions do not have colours that allow to distinguish between active and inactive windows. Besides, the buttons to the right are so ridiculously spaced that a small window has not enough space for the title. So you see "H.." instead of "Hello World" :sad:

Sounds like you are tempted to join the 7 only club. I had gotten utterly frustrated with Win 10 long ago, and have not run it on a daily basis since then. I still have it, but it's no more than a doorstop (or boat anchor) to me at this point.

As long as Windows 7 runs as expected and can run adequate software on it that supports the OS I'll keep on using it, never minding the naysayers. If xp were still a viable OS, I would definitely be using that operating system, but unfortunately compatible software is getting more scarce as each year passes.

If needed I can always reinstall (Win 10) via disk image as needed, same goes for Window xp.  :toothy:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2022, 01:56:05 PM »
Win 10 is one of those things that if you suffer it for long enough, you get used to it. Armed with a number of accessories to routinely tweak things that are not easy to do in the default installation, remember where most of the controls are most of the time so that when Microsoft arbitrarily change you settings, you can go back and change them in less than a lifetime, it actually run OK and is a more powerful OS than Win7 64. Less glitz and more grunt, both of which I approve of.
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• my kind of REAL10 Blonde
« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2022, 09:39:20 PM »
I kept xp after vista came not only because cg apps needing most grunt, nobody was interested in much longer render times of art and animation, in the beginning opengl that was used for fast preview render didn't work properly on vista
Newer os you need to trial and error on compatibility setting for old games
Newer os than xp,suppose to evolved to better spread multicores /Multithreading workload
my none asm creations
http://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2022, 10:17:52 PM »
I have got a perfect XP box with a 3.8 gig PIV and I think 8 gig of memory, 4 gig for the OS and the rest as a ram disk. It runs OK, I just can't find a use for it. I built it not longer before I started using Win7 64 Ultimate and once I went to a 64 bit box, there was nothing that Win7 64 did not do better.

There is nothing worth swiping in it so it sits complete going nowhere.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com

HSE

• AMD 7-32 / i3 10-64
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2022, 10:20:49 PM »
Apparently, you don't have the latest version

No :sad:  For sure you are using a transparent window and GDIP  :thumbsup:

Btw, how does your editor handle build errors?

RadAsm work even better and qEditor not at all.

But I have cancelations  :rolleyes:

With RadAsm and complex projects I use JWAsm family, that only is reliable pointing errors in main file. AsmC was improved but still can fail.

With qEditor I use ML and ML64, that don't fail pointing errors.  :biggrin: