News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Memory Status Toy, Memstat.exe

Started by hutch--, June 26, 2019, 05:29:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daydreamer

upgraded to memory to 20gb so I can try out the huge memory advantage in 64bit,not because I want to bloat it,but that produce something fast,that isnt stopped by 32bit mode memory "walls"
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

Antariy

According to talks about tray icon indicators, just some idea aloud.
RAM Clear (look at signature below this message) has a feature to show free RAM in the Tray Icon - as a digital indicator in the percentage manner.
It's C(++) code, and, as described in its thread, is not neat, multiple times rewritten/extended without real refactorization to make it greater looking, lol, so won't post the sources there/here.
But the idea was to create a bmp (in memory, GDI), then to draw to it the percentage number with text (like TextOut, in other words, GDI also), then create simple icon with using that bmp, then draw that icon on the taskbar/tray. Remember to calculate in realtime the size of text to fit it into the center/centre of the icon exactly, or predetermine it before an action (to hardcode it) depending on the size of an icon you will make, and the type of font you will use (monospaced fonts are a lot easier to use in this hardcoded way, just use pixel-size when you create it).

aw27

I had a gadget in Windows 7 for Memory Status and CPU usage, then Microsoft cut all the fun short by abolishing sidebar gadgets in Windows 10 (Windows 8.x as well). I never believed Microsoft reasons for that (and they never showed concrete cases of security issues or proved they could not mitigate them case they existed) - all they really wanted was to replace these little funny toys with appstore jumbo size crap - but failed.   :skrewy:

fearless

Thanks. I haven't updated the TrayMenu library in a while, but had thought of exposing the function that creates the transparent icons with text - Another user on tuts4you was using it for a cpu load type thing - and I thought of creating another function where you could pre-create all the icons required "0%", "1%",..."99%"" and just store them in an array of icon handles so that you could just fetch the icon for whichever percent value you wanted to display. Might try and get round to adding that in future. Although the benefit of dynamically creating them is if say you had a preferences in your app and user wanted to specify a color for the text.

I created something similar in another app i created to monitor my qnap nas box:

The first 4 icons are for the qnap for temperature and cpu usage. The other text based icons in the tray area are from CpuTemp and MSIAfterburner

hutch--

Rudi suggested some time ago to make a showcase for members to show completed applications and while it is a good idea, the risk is it would end up full of crap and to delete the crap would end up putting at least some people's nose out of joint. Most of the stuff in this thread should not be here as this sub forum is for 64 bit MASM code.

Any feedback on the idea of a showcase would be welcome.