News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

A prototype that needs testing on different OS versions

Started by hutch--, August 19, 2019, 04:08:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

Could I impose on a few folks to test this simple app for me, its a prototype for a splash screen that shows the screen fading in to a full image then it disappears before the main window appears. The main window is just a can to test the splash screen but the help menu will also run the same splash screen. Its working OK here but there are many other variables from different human language OS versions and OS versions.

The splash screen window runs in a separate thread from the main app so it can be handled in a modular manner and it uses a normal timer for its duration. The idea is to have a simple function call that specifies a resource ID for a JPG image and a duration in milliseconds for it to be displayed.

LiaoMi

Hi hutch,

Win 10 - OK
Win 7   - OK
WinXP  - nothing is displayed, but then the program works (Perhaps due to the fact that the visual styles of Windows are disabled.)

felipe

HSE

Is intended behaviour to see the splash when selecting "about"?
Equations in Assembly: SmplMath

Biterider

sinsi

2000(after installing gdiplus.dll)/XP/XP64/Vista64 - main window shows, splash shows in the taskbar but not on screen
7/8.1/10 - works OK

hutch--

Thanks guys, its pointed at win7 upwards and uses GDI+ to handle a JPG stored in the resource section. I think it will be a reasonably easy port to Win64 and it should be useful for UI apps.

daydreamer

works ok on this build of W10,wonder if reporting build number for W10 ,should make it more helpful for all kinds of future tests?
separate thread for GDI+ drawing ,example would be nice  and useful for smoother and better drawing on newer computer than make messagepump laggy
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

FORTRANS

Hi,

Win 2000 Grayed window, but runs and exits.

Win 98 Complained of missing gdi+ dll.
When supplied DLL, aborted with an illegal instruction.

Win XP Grayed window, but runs and exits.

Win 8.1 Shows splash screen then grayed window.
Clicking Help => About shows a splash screen somewhat
wider and shorter than the window.

Cheers,

Steve N.

aw27

Just tested in Windows Server 2019 and it works fine too.

hutch--

I have done the 64 bit MASM version and it seems to work OK here. It has been a pain to get the start splash screen going as Win64 instantly displays the window without needing to use ShowWindow() so I have used an old technique of starting the window off screen, displaying the splash screen then using MoveWindow() to display the main window. No such problem once the main window is displayed, the Help/About menu displays a different image with a single call. This one has the full 64 bit MASM code and a directory that builds the test library for the splash module. Once I am happy with it, the module goes into the 64 bit library.

jj2007

Quote from: hutch-- on August 20, 2019, 07:13:45 PMas Win64 instantly displays the window without needing to use ShowWindow()

Did you try without WS_VISIBLE?

invoke CreateWindowEx,WS_EX_LEFT or WS_EX_ACCEPTFILES, \
                          ADDR classname,ADDR caption, \
                          WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW or WS_VISIBLE,\
                          -1000,-1000,wid,hgt,0,0,hInstance,0   ; start off screen

hutch--

It works but at the price that the main window no longer has the focus after the splash screen is finished.

jj2007

Do you main focus (->SetFocus) or z-order (->SetWindowPos)?