Author Topic: Windows 8 dead on arrival.  (Read 76557 times)

Bill Cravener

Windows 8 dead on arrival.
« on: May 23, 2012, 06:28:58 PM »
"Microsoft’s Windows 8 and Vista will have several things in common: Both are unwanted operating system updates that will flop in the marketplace."
Five Reasons why Windows 8 will be dead on arrival

"By year’s end, Windows 8 is going to be on every new PC around. You won’t have to use it though."
Five ways to avoid Windows 8

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Windows 8 dead on arrival.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
That's a good article, whether I agree with all of it or not, the range of alternatives is in fact interesting.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Bill Cravener

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:04:25 PM »
The one thing I like about the new Win 8 is they appear to be dropping that sickly Aero Glass bullshit.

Windows 8’s Desktop Arrives with No Aero Glass

zooba

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 08:43:45 PM »
The "dead on arrival" article is from February and before the Consumer Preview (=="Beta"). At that point, most of the criticism was valid, though some of it does not apply anymore (between Consumer and Retail Previews; the Beta and the Release Candidate).

"No one needs Windows 8 on the desktop" was subjective then and is subjective now - it's the only criticism that won't go out of date but it applies equally well to every UI advance from the mouse onwards.

"Metro: An ugly, useless interface" is also subjective, but the more specific argument is that it is unfamiliar for users. This is true when you compare it to prior versions of Windows, but any four year old that's played with an iPad will figure out "click the big coloured box with the racing car" before they get "click the round button with the flag and then All Programs and then Games and then the racing car". (Hell, when I put it like that, my grandmother would probably get there first.) Jensen Harris pulled apart the "change==bad" myth/reaction pretty well on the Win8 blog.

"Where are the Windows 8 Applications?" is a fair call, though Windows Live has been pretty clear about how they'll be working. Office is a completely separate division at MSFT, and they were working on the next version of Office well before they got access to the new Metro stuff - most non-Windows developers didn't have access before the Developer Preview went public.

"Vexed Windows developers" is largely out of date. The tools are coming along, books are being written, and just like with C++11, most stuff will be ready for the official release.

Finally, "Too little, too late for the smartphone/tablet market" is just completely misunderstanding the intent in a way that is inexcusable for a "tech journalist." Windows Phone is separate and different to Windows 8 - different devs, different managers, different plans. Yes, Windows Phone has made very little impact in the market, largely (IMO) due to coming in late and not offering anything new. But Windows 8 is a different strategy - Apple (with the iPad) bet that consumers wanted a larger iPhone, so that's what they got, while Microsoft is betting that consumers want a smaller laptop. There are plenty of potential (largely business) consumers that won't consider an iPad as a business tool where they would consider a Windows 8 tablet that runs Office natively.

Losing the glass is a good thing; apparently it was "in style" at the time, though the only place I saw it was in Windows...

OT, do I now have the longest post on the new forum?  :icon_eek:

Cheers,
Zooba  :t

Bill Cravener

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 09:52:11 PM »
I've played a good bit with Win 8 beta and my opinion is it sucks!!  :icon13:

"So Microsoft is going all in with Windows 8 in a tablet market it can't dominate, while putting its cash-cow desktop operating system business at risk. That doesn't seem like a winning hand."
Playing the Wrong Hand With Windows 8

I agree!!

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 10:39:02 PM »
the problem is - ms can afford to make mistakes - even huge blunders
it's not like they will go under or anything
they are not as motivated to create solid products as they could be

Vortex

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 03:24:28 AM »
Beside the desktop version, Windows Server 8 ( renamed to Server 2012 ) comes with the metro interface. Who needs a server operation system consuming more system resources to provide a user interface with a lot of eye-candies?

Bill Cravener

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:59:39 AM »
Beside the desktop version, Windows Server 8 ( renamed to Server 2012 ) comes with the metro interface. Who needs a server operation system consuming more system resources to provide a user interface with a lot of eye-candies?

You are correct Vortex, who managing a 2012 Server is going to be using a touch screen to navigate thru administrative settings? Using a mouse on such a system would be difficult and for certain aggravating to say the least!!

I guess what angers me the most is I make part of my living working on Windows user machines and now I’m expected to learn a whole new interface. I’m getting old and I don’t feel much like learning the new metro interface when I have a very good knowledge of Windows up to Win 7. I think MS has lost their minds!!

Vortex

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 06:15:52 AM »
Hi Bill,

We are on the same boat. At work, I am responsible for maintaining the Windows network. It will be not a fun to learn the new metro interface.

clive

• Toolsmith and Assembler coder (x86,ARM,MIPS,68K)
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 03:00:23 AM »
Quote from: Bill Cravener
I guess what angers me the most is I make part of my living working on Windows user machines and now I’m expected to learn a whole new interface. I’m getting old and I don’t feel much like learning the new metro interface when I have a very good knowledge of Windows up to Win 7. I think MS has lost their minds!!

Well there's the thing, people don't like change, especially forced change. Microsoft is going to force people to make a choice, it's a dangerous place to take them, because they might not break in the direction they want.

People are becoming increasingly exposed to other possibilities, be it Apple, Android, Linux, or whatever. Apple represents the biggest single threat, as they have lots of money, and they are positioning themselves for a retail assault.

You as a developer clearly have a reason to feel disenfranchised, and I don't think you're in the minority. You like the consumer, are likely to migrate to a platform/partner who annoys you less. I know a bunch of people who have totally abandoned PC development, and moved full time to app development on phone and tablet platforms.

Intel is also in an awkward spot, they have excellent chips and manufacturing capabilities, but they are wading into a battle against ARM solutions where their size and margins work against them. They have got the Atom into TV's and set top boxes, and are pushing at smart phones, but I think people have become used to the responsiveness of the higher end x86 machines.
It's a pity the clowns in Washington DC don't understand the Constitution as well as Edward Snowden

carlos

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 03:28:23 AM »
the problem is - ms can afford to make mistakes - even huge blunders
it's not like they will go under or anything
they are not as motivated to create solid products as they could be

I'm not sure Dave, PS/2 comes to mind .......

sinsi

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:51 PM »
The new VS Express is apparently limited to metro. Gets rid of the riffraff I suppose...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/28/visual_studio_express_11_metro_only/

Adamanteus

• LLC "AMS"
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 06:59:11 PM »
I'm thinking that main behalf of Win8 CP, that it's time for testing for next year, but bed compatibility with old NTFS systems, so ever fixing good drives with released old Windows. It could be need to whom using only CP for one computer and touch screen systems (is forwarding users needs), and seemed that at all Win8 designed mostly for palmtops with WiFi Internet connections - so who have it could get all behalf from.
For UI, I'm using WindowBlinds, and fully satisfied - so Microsoft's researching in interface me at all not interesting - I'm working on desktop (with PS/2 mouse)  :eusa_boohoo:

xandaz

• I luv you babe
    • My asm examples
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 10:52:29 PM »
    I dont really follow this stuff. Wasn't the same said about windows7? That it'd be a fiasco? I tried it once and fell the same thing about it thats mentioned about w8. You'll have to learn a whole lot of new stuff, get in touch with a new way of working, etc. That's why i felt when i intalled 7, so, i use what ever came with the equipment (a looser called vista), tho i have to recognize that w7 is way faster.

Vortex

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:43 AM »
Sad to say but Visual Studio 11 Beta does not support Windows XP. The same also applies for Visual Studio 11 Express Beta.