Author Topic: Windows 8 dead on arrival.  (Read 77610 times)

CommonTater

Re: Windows 8 dead on arrival.
« Reply #135 on: November 30, 2012, 08:14:07 AM »
From my reading Nlite and Vlite doesn't work on Windows 7.
If you already have the OS installed what does Nlite/Vlite
do for you then?

Nlite and Vlite are install builders... they let you leave stuff out at install time... they're not for installed systems.

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #137 on: December 10, 2012, 10:31:57 PM »
windows 8 is a total piece of crap - lol
and - they want to charge you twice as much for it

it seemed they were doing pretty well with win 7
their marketing people are a bunch of dumbtards

sinsi

« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2012, 07:59:14 PM »
I have been using Windows 8 Pro for about three weeks now, all of my games work OK, programming (masm32/fasm) is OK, no real problems yet.
The only time I spend in the 'metro' screen is when I login, click the only tile on the screen (Desktop) and don't leave it.
Except that winkey then typing takes you there, just like win7 except full screen, and it's a hell of a lot faster.

Bought a new SSD (Samsung 840 Pro), 128GB for $150, and it's quicker than my old setup (Intel 520 SSD, Win7).
Now I will see how quickly masm32 installs...

>windows 8 is a total piece of crap - lol
So how long have you been using it then?

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2012, 09:12:48 PM »
i don't need to use it to see it for what it is

microsoft wants to rape people for more money than they need to have
they come out with a "product" that noone needs or wants
they jack up the price, then jam it down your throat
it serves to offer programmers another layer of compatibility issues
that's a piece of crap

Bill Cravener

« Reply #140 on: December 19, 2012, 07:05:32 AM »
Hi sinsi,

You know I’m far from sold on Win8 but I just bought me a big screen 60 inch LED TV and a new PC with Win8 Pro on it for my Christmas present (rather expensive though but awesome!! :biggrin:).

The Win8 Pro machine is now hooked up to my new big screen to watch TV shows and movies thru Hulu.com on my broadband connection (don’t know if you guys have access to Hulu down under).

Anyway, with the Hulu app installed you simply click on the tile and bang there you are ready to choose a show then sit back and enjoy. I use a cordless keyboard and mouse to navigate. As I see it Win8 is great for that purpose but as to using it on a desktop on a regular bases I’m still not convinced and think I would find it annoying to have to switch to the desktop from metro and back (what are they calling it since MS no longer has the rights to use the word metro?).

Another great site by the way for movies is Crackle.com, you might have access to that site down under as well. Time will tell if I’m ever convinced that Win8 is worth it for use other then for driving a TV (I doubt it).

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #141 on: December 19, 2012, 07:23:44 AM »
to be fair, i would have to give it a chance
see how it fares with consumers over time
but - i think it's just a way for microsoft to gouge the public

sinsi

« Reply #142 on: December 20, 2012, 04:48:16 PM »
G'day Bill, like I said I get to the desktop and don't leave it. Since I never really used the start menu I don't miss it.
All of my programs have a shortcut on the desktop, just like win7. Pressing the windows key takes me to the start menu, just like win7 (except it's full screen).

Fair enough, I only bought it because I am getting calls about it in my job but it's not the big bad thing people make it out to be.
If not for my job I probably wouldn't have got it ($148 for OEM), but if I got it preinstalled on a new computer then BFD.

Hulu? Half the embedded videos on pages I look at have "sorry you're not in the US".
How much money is the network showing Jon Stewart losing if I see the 2 minute video clip? Must be up in the nanocent range...

Bill Cravener

« Reply #143 on: December 20, 2012, 10:05:52 PM »
sinsi,

Hulu eliminates the need to have a satellite dish, cable or even a ground antenna for movies and TV programming. Crackle is mostly movies. I do have a large antenna in the attic that gets me 30 some stations in high def. Hulu also has a free service that gets you most of their available programming but they do offer a “Plus” plan if you want to pay $8 bucks a month. These internet driven TV providers are putting a big hurt on satellite and cable services that charge way over the top for what they offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hulu

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2012, 10:26:16 PM »
i think both crackle and hulu are more-or-less US-only sites
it's part of the agreement they have with the movie companies in order to show their flicks

Vortex

« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2012, 08:03:47 PM »

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

sinsi

« Reply #147 on: December 26, 2012, 03:00:37 PM »
Short Battery Life Sinks First Windows 8 Notebooks
I must agree with a lot of the comments on that article, misleading 'stats' and bad graphs.
After 6+ hours, I think a 20 minute difference is no big deal. Maybe win8 had lots of live tiles?

I wish I got at least 5 hours out of any of my laptops...

Bill Cravener

« Reply #148 on: December 26, 2012, 08:52:53 PM »
The run up to Windows 8, which arrived at retail last month, had all the appearances that history might repeat itself – and while no one may have expected “fans” to line up to get their hands on the latest OS from Microsoft, it was expected that it would generate decent sales.

This year the Windows shoppers didn’t come.

Microsoft Windows 8 Remains Unpopular So Far With Consumers

Bill Cravener

« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2012, 09:58:34 PM »
Almost one year ago today, we laid out the nightmare scenario for Microsoft (MSFT) that could lead to its business collapsing. After laying it all out, we concluded, "Fortunately for Microsoft, none of this is going to happen."

We were wrong.

Steve Ballmer's Nightmare Is Coming True

Great 20 minute video about the fuckup called Windows 8.

Windows 8: The Animated Evaluation