Author Topic: Windows 8 dead on arrival.  (Read 76556 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
Re: Windows 8 dead on arrival.
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2012, 10:45:42 AM »
Sounds like a good reason to keep the ISO for VC10.  :biggrin:
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

P1

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 01:32:02 PM »
Sounds like a good reason to keep the ISO for VC10.  :biggrin:
M$ has always benefited from version changes in their software.   It kinda like gasoline, use it up and buy more for the engine(hardware).

Too bad, we can not get faithfulness discount for buying all the versions they released.

Sad to say, that they would manipulate layers of software to obsolete their other support software.  Can we say M-O-N-O-P-O-L-Y ???

It is basically true, that WXP could offer the basics so well, so as to be useful for a very long time to the average user.

Regards,  P1  8)

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 01:57:28 PM »
 :biggrin:

I only keep vc98, vc2003, vc2005, vc2008, vc2010 set up, whats the big deal ?  :P
hutch at movsd dot com

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2012, 02:54:07 PM »
i think i have an old copy of MS C compiler v 6 around someplace - lol
and i don't even like C   :biggrin:

i remember you had to build your own lib's, based on which memory models you intended to use vs how much disk space you were willing to give up

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2012, 02:56:47 PM »
I doubt that my floppies for MSC V6 still work. It was a very good clean version where everything worked correctly. Then came Windows.  :badgrin:
hutch at movsd dot com

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2012, 03:11:18 PM »
i have kept my floppies safe (from wifee - lol) so far
i think they're good - i'd have to fire up one of my old machines to get a floppy drive   :biggrin:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2012, 04:38:33 PM »
Mate of mine gave me a USB plugin floppy that works. I used it once for an Intel floppy for a boot sequence install.
hutch at movsd dot com

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:53 PM »
i thought about getting one of those
but - it is old technology - lol
i'd rather spend the money on a thumb drive   :biggrin:
if i want to get something off a floppy, i can blow the dust off one of the win 98 machines

sinsi

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2012, 10:15:59 PM »
$18 for a usb floppy drive here, I got mine a year ago for $29 and have used it 4 or 5 times since.
When you need it it's so convenient, plug it in and away you go. Same with an external dvd drive.

Bill Cravener

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
Morons!

Despite a growing debate over Metro on desktop PCs, Microsoft doesn't appear to be willing to offer a choice of traditional desktop or Metro with its upcoming Windows 8 release, opting to continue to fuse the pair together.

Microsoft reportedly working to block apps that re-enable the Windows 8 Start button

dedndave

• Still using Abacus 2.0
    • DednDave
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 10:23:52 PM »
sounds like a nice place for a little app, Bill   :biggrin:

everything they remove leaves a hole for someone to come along and fill it with dirt

sinsi

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 10:44:53 PM »
I actually got used to the metro bit, mainly because the programs still showed up as "icons".
Click the "icon" and the old-style desktop program starts in the desktop, start menu and all.
Metro is the start menu spread all over the screen. Think of it as your smartphone with 5 home screens, you're OK.

One thing I like is mounting iso files natively. Windows 7 can do vhd files but not iso.
That might convince me to shell out the dollars...

Bill Cravener

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 11:06:49 PM »
The idea of Windows 8 Metro is so nutty and off-the-wall that I’m certain it will never happen without a fall back to the Windows 7 GUI in their next version (Win 9?). My opinion there is just no way that the company will risk its future on an unproven interface metaphor that's based on a cell phone UI. The basic thesis that people want exactly the same look and feel across all their personal platforms is frankly idiotic. All Microsoft will manage to do is kill the platform where Metro does not belong, the desktop PC or Workstation. And that will be the end of Microsoft.  :icon13:

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »
Perhaps there really is an Apple "mole" in the management end of Microsoft trying to bring the company down. Its common knowledge that the market does not trust Microsoft but still generally support their now legacy operating systems. XP and Win7 are still big players in the desktop market yet they are willing to risk losing their only performing area in a foolish attempt to break into the gadget market.

I guess all of the foolish things they have done will all come home to roost when the next OS version flops like Vista did and more of them go out the door. They have already damaged the home desktop market with irritating registration techniques, forced attempts to make people upgrade software that already works well for them, breaking backwards compatibility and so on where many non technical folks just went to a portable gadget, iPhone and the current generation of Android tablets, all of which are losses to the user base for PCs.

If they keep messing it up we will all be left with some crapheap Linux Distro Windows imitation, gadgets or even worse, an Apple MAC.  :icon13:
hutch at movsd dot com

Vortex

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2012, 06:06:24 AM »
Windows 8 Release Preview ISO images :

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso