General > Hardware Corner

The box, finished !

(1/2) > >>

hutch--:
This has been a reasonably tedious box to build, board was a pain to get going with having to flash the BIOS. Apart from a 4 hole USB face plate its finished, working correctly and performs well. A legacy device, its pointed at being a work horse, not a show pony. The can is a bit smaller than I like but managed to shoehorn 5 HDDs and one SSD into it. Future mods when I have some spare cash is another 64 gig of memory and perhaps an NVMe drive for where I need fast loading.

For your pleasure.  :tongue:

LiaoMi:
Hi Hutch,

congratulations on the completion of the project! What kind of thermal paste did you use?

hutch--:
The latest version of Arctic Silver. The old (10 years old) version always worked well so when it eventually ran out I bought a couple of syringes of the new stuff. There is a trick though, instead of a tiny dab in the middle, use enough to coat both processor and heat sink then put them together with a little bit of wiggle to seat it properly then screw it all down. I still use my finger.  :biggrin:

LiaoMi:
I used ic diamond https://www.amazon.com/IC-Diamond-24-Carat-Compound/dp/B0042IBAOG at my own risk. Experts say it can corrode the surface.

--- Quote ---Contains 92% Purified synthetic diamond micronized Diamond, a natural thermal superconductor with a conductivity of 2,000-2,500 W/mK compared to 406-429 W/mK for pure silver
Will not pump or bake out when properly used and is neither Non capacitive or electrically conductive. C of C available on Request
--- End quote ---

hutch--:
I have seen some of the guys on Youtube use what they call liquid metal but it is suppose to be corrosive. I tend to take a safe route that I am familiar with and the Arctic Silver has been super reliable for years. I have taken off a heat sink that I put on 10 years ago and it has not baked hard, is easy to get off and non corrosive.

I am clocking these 3.3 gig i7 5820s at 3.8 and the temperature is very low with a decent cooler so I don't have much to gain by using a technique that I am not familiar with. Have you done any comparative testing with what you are using ? On highly over clocked processors I have seen results of 5 to 10c reduction but it often is related to de-lidding a processor first as the junction between the core and the lid is critical.

I have even seen for sale pure copper replacement lids and I gather they are more efficient. I had a look at the link and it looks like interesting stuff, would like to see some tests done on CPUs.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version