Main Menu

Check the forum for new posts

Started by jj2007, March 11, 2021, 01:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on January 02, 2023, 03:01:50 AM
On Win7 and Win10 it works, but on Win10 the links don't open :sad:
I'm on Windows 7 64 bit & Opera ...  :undecided:
lemme try and change default browser to Internet Explorer ...

added:
Nope same thing, nothing in the text files.

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on January 02, 2023, 03:01:50 AMThat's a pity, sorry.
Hey it comes with the territory, if you want to ensure a wider userbase for your wares. (debugging to ensure compatibility for wide audience)
What changed since version 2 & 3? Both of those worked for me ...
Anyway ...I am going to fire up Windows 10 on my machine, to see if that makes any difference with the version that you posted today, jj.

Afterward:
Nope Windows 10 64 bit gives me the same results, empty text files ...

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on January 02, 2023, 03:05:06 AM
Nope same thing, nothing in the text files.

Do you see a ForumLatest.htm (with around 25kByte)? If yes, when you double-click on it, does a browser open that file?

zedd151

No issue with the .htm file. An yes it opens when clicked upon. I should have given more complete details, sorry.
The only issue is the empty text files...

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on January 02, 2023, 08:57:19 AM
No issue with the .htm file.

Please try again with the latest version, it works now on my XP VM. I changed the name of the archive to avoid cache problems.

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on January 02, 2023, 10:36:01 AM
Quote from: zedd151 on January 02, 2023, 08:57:19 AM
No issue with the .htm file.

Please try again with the latest version, it works now on my XP VM. I changed the name of the archive to avoid cache problems.
:biggrin:  Success! Works on Windows 7 64 bit here ...

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on January 02, 2023, 11:16:56 AM
:biggrin:  Success! Works on Windows 7 64 bit here ...

Congrats - and thanks for pointing me to a serious bug in my library :thup:

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on January 02, 2023, 11:18:10 AM
Congrats - and thanks for pointing me to a serious bug in my library :thup:
The congratulations is yours, for finding that which caused the issue. Have you tried it in windows 10? I can do that later if needed...
edit = removed oddly nested quote   :rolleyes:

zedd151

I noticed one thing with the Forum Watcher. It does not have 'single instance' code in it, allowing more than one instance to run at the same time. Probably not a good idea imo,  to allow more than one instance.
I have been running it for a while, I can see that it is a very useful tool.   :thumbsup:  Nice for keeping an eye out for recent posts, without having to load any of todays bloated browsers, nice small footprint and very easy on cpu, memory and bandwidth use... I likeee. Nice and simple interface too.

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on January 02, 2023, 06:28:00 PM
I noticed one thing with the Forum Watcher. It does not have 'single instance' code in it, allowing more than one instance to run at the same time.

You are pushing me to my limits :greensml:

QuoteGuiParas equ "Forum watcher", x730, w270, m0, h1000, b LiteGrey, si   ; right aligned, single instance
include \masm32\MasmBasic\Res\MbGui.asm

I had contemplated inserting a WinByTitle after the include line:
.if WinByTitle("Forum watcher")
invoke ShowWindow, eax, SW_RESTORE  ; show the other window, in case it's hidden
MsgBox 0, "Sorry, it's already running", "Single instance:", MB_OK
invoke ExitProcess, 0
.endif

But it was actually not that simple, as it would kill itself (at that point, the window is already created...) :sad:

So I had to invent that si flag in the GuiParas string. Please test the attachment :thup:

QuoteI have been running it for a while, I can see that it is a very useful tool.   :thumbsup:  Nice for keeping an eye out for recent posts, without having to load any of todays bloated browsers, nice small footprint and very easy on cpu, memory and bandwidth use... I likeee. Nice and simple interface too.[/size]

zedd151

Hi jj, been testing the latest version of this program over the last couple of days. Works good! There are times that there are strange characters in the text though. Will post a screenshot the next time I see this happening.

As a side note I am surprised that there are not more people trying this handy tool. Beats running a bloated browser just to check latest forum activity.

jj2007

Quote from: zedd151 on January 05, 2023, 07:08:42 AMThere are times that there are strange characters in the text though.

I noticed that, too. It was a codepage problem, now it uses Utf16, and the strange characters are ok:

if 1   ; new
                    wSetWin$ hSyslink=wRec$(Rtrim$(eax))                ; no trailing to the right
                else   ; before
                    SetWin$ hSyslink=Rtrim$(eax)
                endif

zedd151

Quote from: jj2007 on January 05, 2023, 10:44:44 AM
I noticed that, too. It was a codepage problem ...
:thumbsup:  So far, looks good.

zedd151

After using the latest version off and on the past couple days, I have not seen any odd behavior from the program. No more strange characters. Other than the odd member here.  :biggrin: