Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

x86 Single Board Computer

Started by Biterider, April 26, 2021, 01:38:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biterider

Hello
I'm thinking of building an instrument based on an x86 SBC. In particular, I am tempted to use a Rock Pi X and Win10-IoT where I can run my asm applications.
Has anyone here experience with this device?

Biterider

hutch--

I just had a quick look and it seems to be an OK gadget for doing non demanding processing. I don't know about IOT with Windows but having a quick look on the internet, I would be wary of anything that is cloud based as your internet must be active. I wonder if there is a way to use it completely free standing ?

Biterider

Hi Hutch
In this particular case, since the instrument must be integrated into the factory network I'm looking for the Win10-IoT Entreprise version.
A weak connectivity is a deal breaker.

Just another board is the LattePanda 4GB/64GB, which comes with an activated Win10.

Biterider

daydreamer

Quote from: Biterider on April 26, 2021, 01:38:09 AM
Hello
I'm thinking of building an instrument based on an x86 SBC. In particular, I am tempted to use a Rock Pi X and Win10-IoT where I can run my asm applications.
Has anyone here experience with this device?

Biterider
No
Looks like nice computer :thumbsup:
You gonna get 4GB ram version?
What kind of instrument?

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

hutch--

I know of the LattePanda in x86 but I am not up to date with the details. In an industrial context how you set it up will depend on what you have to set it up to do. I have seen various boards that use micro SD for storage but if the storage is subject to high cycling, an NVMe drive would be a better option if you can get a board/case big enough.

For the hobbyist more memory would be better but in an industrial context you would not over specify its components so you don't waste money. I will be interested is what you end up doing.

Recently I have bought a number of 256 gig micro SD cards for my cameras and they are fast enough, 90 meg write, 170 meg read but I don't think the cyclical write rate is as high as an NVMe drive.

Biterider

Hi
I chose to use laptop and will connect to the hardware using all of the USB ports.
There are some advantages to this choice for this project, but the most important is that it is a company approved device and, once registered, can join the company's network.

Here is a picture of the current state.  :bgrin:

Biterider

daydreamer

compared to old pentium which I had to try to control moving thing with printer port
,I had thoughts of instead use 3+ghz,it probably would have enough grunt to process photos from webcamera
is it that powerful?
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding