General > Hardware Corner

Atermiter revisited

(1/1)

hutch--:
I waited for a month for another Gigabyte X99 board which turned up last week. After wasting nearly 2 days on it where it crashed and crashed, I gave up on it and did a rebuild of some of the Atermiter X99 box. Used the old water cooler from my 6 year old main box, 4 x 8 gig 2400 memory modules and as I had bought 2 x 4tb HDDs for the failed board, I plonked them in as well.

12 core Xeon works fine, 3.0 gig on all 12 cores and with the old water cooler, it idles just over ambient at around 25 - 30c and I have it finished and can clean up the clutter from working on multiple computers.

Gunther:
Sounds good. The machine will probably bring you considerable relief at work.

daydreamer:
Great :thumbsup:
Now you can fire 24 asm missiles SIMT  :greenclp:
With development, this your main box and the rest is connected thru lan,or fastest wifi?

hutch--:
 :biggrin:

Just to make you laugh, my main dev box (the old one) is up and running again, I bought 64 gig of memory to replace the remaining 6 year old modules and had 2 more 16 gig modules so I plonked them in as well and the old box now has 96 gig of new memory. I still have to replace the 2 noisy front fans and work out how to mount the rear radiator but it runs perfectly.

I am currently using its replacement which is close to identical but its a completely new box and it is stunningly quiet. I have most of my old box copied over to it but there is going to be bits and pieces to keep copying as the old box has 6 years of collections in it.

I use a normal 1 gigabit network, a 24 port unmanaged switch near the router and a small 5 port switch in the room where I work. I have a couple of antiques plugged into the network as well but they rarely ever get used, an old i7 box set up with Linux Mint as a dead storage server via a Samba server and I have one XP machine that I keep for a flatbed scanner and a digital microscope.

I am getting tired of fixing computers at the moment, wasted 2 days on the dud Gigabyte board doing messy diagnostics and gave up, rebuilt the Atermiter and have the 4 that I need. 2 x i7 5820k and 2 x Xeon E5-2690v3 12 cores.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version