News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Malicious Thermal Error

Started by Gunther, October 24, 2021, 01:07:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunther

My computer had a malicious thermal error for 2 days. At first I thought that it would be enough to replace the thermal paste between the CPU and the cooling pump.
This also helped a bit, but the error only occurred later and didn't disappear.

Therefore, I suspected that in the period of almost 3 years coolant had leaked from the water cooling system. I then also had to refill 60 ml. I've used a coolant that
consists of 90% distilled water and 10% glycerol.

It looks like I have found the error. I put the CPU through a real stress test for over an hour. An application was running that really used all 8 cores. The CPU temperature
did not go above 64 degrees Celsius (147 degrees Fahrenheit, 51 degrees Reaumur). These are quite normal values.

If someone has a similar problem, he can contact me; I now know the solution.
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.

hutch--

Running at 64c is easily safe enough for most CPUs so that has worked well. I have not yet got into open liquid cooling systems as they look a bit complicated to set up but I have the closed system type on all 4 boxes now.

I have to find a 3 fan cooler for the old box, it currently has a 2 fan cooler handing out the back of the box which works OK. The i7s I use peak at about 65c but the Xeons run cooler even when you are thrashing them.

The original 6 year old cooler from my old box was still in good nick so I put it in the Atermiter box with another Xeon E5 2690v3 12 core and it peaks at about 55c so its a success story.

Gunther

Quote from: hutch-- on October 24, 2021, 09:10:00 AM
Running at 64c is easily safe enough for most CPUs so that has worked well. I have not yet got into open liquid cooling systems as they look a bit complicated to set up but I have the closed system type on all 4 boxes now.

I also have a closed (AiO) system. This manufacturer is on the market for about 20 years, but has pretty good products.

The temperature of 64 degrees Celsius occurred after 1 hour of peak stress. I have started the currently best Chess engine with a complicated position. It has an ELO rating of 3549;
the current world champion Magnus Carlsen has an ELO rating of 2882 and has no chance against Stockfish.

But there is a price to pay; the program takes all free CPU capacities. For me, this means that all 8 cores are running at full steam. In normal operation, the CPU temperature is about 30 degrees Celsius.

hutch--

Looks like a good unit, none of mine have a plug that you can remove and it looks like its well made. I have tended to use coolers that are made by the case manufacturers as they generally fit OK. Both of my latest boxes have the same double fan coolers by Deep Cool and they seem to work OK. Funny enough the first liquid cooler I had on my old box still works fine, I put it into the Atermiter box and it runs at about the same temperature as the other Xeon 12 core box.

Running all cores at full speed is a heavy load so the cooler you are using works well. I get the heaviest load with "ffmpeg" that runs all cores between 95 and 100%. The i7 5820k run at about 65c, the 12 core Xeon barely top 50c as they run at 3 gig on all cores.

Gunther

Quote from: hutch-- on October 24, 2021, 10:05:44 PM
Looks like a good unit, none of mine have a plug that you can remove and it looks like its well made.

On one of the narrow sides of the pump is a slot to a screw for closure. You can open it with a coin or a screwdriver; through this opening you can refill the coolant. Since the pump housing is black, I initially overlooked this screw.

Quote from: hutch-- on October 24, 2021, 10:05:44 PM
I have tended to use coolers that are made by the case manufacturers as they generally fit OK.

Yes, that is correct. That's why my case is also from the same manufacturer.