Message to All Guests

Main Menu

New notebook and Windows 11

Started by jj2007, October 28, 2021, 12:27:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daydreamer

Quote from: LiaoMi on November 01, 2021, 07:43:45 PM
Quote@LiaoMi: Price 2520 Euro :badgrin:
That's right, today only premium laptops have buttons  :sad: I also have buttons on my work laptop  :tongue:, manufacturers understand the convenience of buttons, but decided to make it cheaper.
I will try using my wacom instead,which has several programmable buttons,what you choose as buttons reveal if you are a crappy artist :ctrl-z = undo makes many mistakes or paint by trial and error
or great artist:choices are for paint tools used for your perfect photorealistic texture
seriously think you can get tiny wacom almost similar size as laptop
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

mineiro

Hello sir jj;
I was talking with a friend and he sugested a thing; not sure how works in Italy but:

Federal police seize smuggled goods and store them until they are sold by the Internal Revenue Service, a kind of auction.
If black friday prices don't please you, it would be another option until Christmas.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

jj2007

Quote from: mineiro on November 04, 2021, 04:36:54 AMFederal police seize smuggled goods and store them until they are sold by the Internal Revenue Service, a kind of auction.

An interesting idea, thanks mineiro :thup:

FORTRANS

Hi,

On (one of) my laptop(s) I just cover up the touchpad with
a piece of cardboard and plug in a mouse.

Cheers,

Steve

jj2007

Quote from: FORTRANS on November 04, 2021, 10:51:33 PMI just cover up the touchpad with a piece of cardboard and plug in a mouse.

Steve,

There are ways to disable the touchpad programmatically, but that's not the point. I need the buttons of my touchpad for dragging operations: I hold down the left button with my left hand, while my right hand moves the object with the mouse.

More than ten years ago I had Repetitive Stress Injury. That is hell if it hits you, and it's caused mainly by dragging. The two hands method saved me in the end.

hutch--

Can you use a normal mouse ? I have a mouse set up for fast travel and it only takes a small wrist movement to move anywhere on the screen. If I had to I can use a touch pad but I find them slow and not very accurate.

FORTRANS

Hi Jochen

Quote from: jj2007 on November 04, 2021, 11:26:04 PM

Steve,

There are ways to disable the touchpad programmatically, but that's not the point. I need the buttons of my touchpad for dragging operations: I hold down the left button with my left hand, while my right hand moves the object with the mouse.

Plug in two mouses/mice?  (Pay no attention to me blathering.)

QuoteMore than ten years ago I had Repetitive Stress Injury. That is hell if it hits you, and it's caused mainly by dragging. The two hands method saved me in the end.

Yeah, I have had some real pain in my wrist after some stress
using a mouse.  Had to use the other hand for a couple months.
Definitely no fun at all.  I hope you are recovered by now.

And yes, after finding a solution to a problem that works well,
you want to keep on using it.  Forms a habit I guess.  So even if
using the buttons on a mouse might work, it would change your
work environment adversely.  Too bad, it would be a simple thing
to set up.

Regards,

Steve N.

jj2007

The point is that for dragging objects, I hold down the left button with my left hand, while my right hand moves it with the mouse. That is, I don't use the touchpad at all, just its button. And that can't be emulated by a second mouse: The touchpad button is big and doesn't move away, I can easily press it with the middle and ring finger together.

While writing this, I listen to The Firth of Fifth and Entangled - some of the most gorgeous pieces of music ever recorded :cool:

FORTRANS

Quote from: jj2007 on November 05, 2021, 01:09:39 AM
The point is that for dragging objects, I hold down the left button with my left hand, while my right hand moves it with the mouse. That is, I don't use the touchpad at all, just its button. And that can't be emulated by a second mouse: The touchpad button is big and doesn't move away, I can easily press it with the middle and ring finger together.

Well, it worked when I tried it.  Using double sided tape stops the second mouse from
moving around.  Rotating it about 120 degrees ccw gives good access to the left button
for your preferred fingers.  Looks stupid though.  And only useful to you if get a new laptop.
The silly experiment was a bit fun to try out.

Cheers,

Steve

jj2007

hutch--

I have always used a mouse left handed with the normal button layout but I hold the mouse differently, I cross pinch it and use the index finger on my left hand on the left mouse button. It allows me to do most actions both handed, mouse in left hand, keyboard right handled and both hands while typing. Comes with practice.

daydreamer

Quote from: hutch-- on November 06, 2021, 12:15:53 AM
I have always used a mouse left handed with the normal button layout but I hold the mouse differently, I cross pinch it and use the index finger on my left hand on the left mouse button. It allows me to do most actions both handed, mouse in left hand, keyboard right handled and both hands while typing. Comes with practice.
Ok nowadays you can choose mouse wheel setting to scroll up/down in pages
But I wonder if it's an advantage of lefthand mouse to easier use numpad entering lots of numbers
And /home/end/pageup /pagedown keys for manoeuvres in source file simultaneously?
The ones I have in mind is big source file and need to change area from in the beginning . Data section entry new variables, and code further down in source file proc you are working on?

my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

daydreamer

thanks JJ :thumbsup:
thanks to this thread I got my wacom and plugged in to draw
my none asm creations
I am an Invoker
Like SIMD coding

jj2007

The new machine has arrived today :biggrin:
Right now copying essential files from my external backup drive. After one hour it tells me "about 6 hours left" for 344,684 elements :sad:

I should have activated unsafe mode before starting the copy, see How to Fix Slow USB Transfer Speeds

Windows 10 gives me the creeps. "jpg_image cannot be copied, error c50whatever, probably a virus". Why should Explorer give the dumb user a full path?

Then comes a notification that Defender has found a threat. Wow, so you click on it, only to discover that Defender has found no threats. Are there still some sane people working at Redmond? It doesn't seem so.

TimoVJL

Quote from: jj2007 on November 18, 2021, 06:48:19 AM
Are there still some sane people working at Redmond?
sure, they are now updated to version to 11 :biggrin:
May the source be with you