Author Topic: BIG cooler  (Read 306 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
BIG cooler
« on: November 01, 2021, 11:56:20 AM »
I was stuck with a problem that the single 120mm fan outlet on my old can was not enough to cool the i7 when it was being thrashed on video files. I tried a back mounted double fan radiator and it worked reasonably well but was still subject to temperature creep over a long enough time so I thought, if you are going to overkill something, don't do it by half.

Bought a 3 fan cooler, a DEEP COOL GAMMAXX L360 A-RGB. I had already cut out the mest where the old fan fitted so that the water pump and hoses could be fitted through and the main challenge was to find a way to mount the radiator. I had some spare new fans, the pretty blue light ones, so I mounted them on the front of the radiator to run the fans in push/pull configuration and wired it all up.

I dislike multi colour swirling fan lights so I did not wire up the lights on the cooler fans, the front fans have non pulsating blue LEDs which is useful if you want to know the box is running.

Results look like success, box idles at just over ambient and thrashing all cores at 100% raises the temperatures to just under 60c which is very respectable. The recovery rate is very fast, as soon as the load drops, the temperature drops back down to under 30c very quickly and slowly drops back to just above ambient.

The mounting was no fun, there is not much on the back of a can to attach a radiator to so I use the original fan mount holes with some stainless steel hardware and made a mounting bracket out of some sheet aluminium and it seems to have worked well.

Just as a side note, I pulled the i7 out first time in 6 years, it looked like any socket 2011-3 CPU but it was sheer curiosity to see it, then put it back and installed the water pump. I am still a fan of Arctic Silver heat compound, it still remains sticky after years so I put the same back and mounted the water pump.

hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
Re: BIG cooler
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2021, 09:27:36 PM »
Wow. That looks impressive. How are the operating temperatures of the CPU?
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 09:45:41 PM »
I think I put it in the first post but idle is just over ambient and thrashing it on all cores was just under 60c and without temperature creep after a long running time. It looks a bit scruffy but mounting a big radiator behind a large case is no real joy to do.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2021, 10:53:49 PM »
It looks a bit scruffy but mounting a big radiator behind a large case is no real joy to do.

I guess that's true. A lot of manual work and good ideas are required. But all in all, it looks pretty good.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

daydreamer

• "follow the blue star!!!"
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2021, 12:55:02 AM »
looks impressive :thumbsup:
after all you are used to assemble things :greenclp:
hope it doesnt end up after been worn,3x noisy fans noise
SIMD fan and macro fan
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."