Author Topic: New Huananzhi board a raging success  (Read 845 times)

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
New Huananzhi board a raging success
« on: November 22, 2021, 02:20:10 PM »
I gave up on the Atermiter board, you could change some settings in the BIOS but they did not work. New board has a decent BIOS and without much effort, it all works correctly. Used the RX 580 video card and the small SSD boot disk, plugged it all in and it runs first time and did not need to set the activation of the retail version of Windows so I don't have to re-install from scratch again.

The Xeon E5 2690v3 12 core runs at the correct speed, 3 gig on all cores and 3.5 gig on a low core count and typically for a Xeon, it idles at about 25c. Later I will swipe a 2 fan liquid cooler from another box but I am waiting on an open frame rather than puting it in another can.

This setup should end up as a decent "grunter" for processing mp4 4k video and should also end up as a useful general purpose box.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
Re: New Huananzhi board a raging success
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2021, 06:45:14 PM »
Steve,

This setup should end up as a decent "grunter" for processing mp4 4k video and should also end up as a useful general purpose box.

That sounds good. Do I understand this correctly? So we can expect new educational videos from you?
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2021, 07:11:36 PM »
 :biggrin:

You never know your luck, I am using the new board computer at the moment and it appears to be as fast as the Gigabyte version which I am very pleased with. Don't have a liquid cooler on it yet, will have to swipe a 2 fan version on another older box but I have 4 new HDDs in it so far, 24tb storage which should keep it out of trouble for a while.

Got the two 16 gig modules today so it has the full compliment of 64 gig installed. Will have to buy another NVMe drive for it, it has 2 mounts directly on he board so I will have to see if it runs too hot. On the other boxes I have used an adapter to put it in a PCIe slot but this one may not need that as long as it does not overheat. I think you can get a heat sink for the board mounted type.

I want to build this computer in an open frame as they are far easier to work on but I have to wait for it to arrive.

I have it set up on a table at the moment rather than putting it in a case and it runs just about stone cold so all up its been a very successful build.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2021, 09:19:07 PM »
Doing some benchmarking, the new board/CPU is a bit faster in Cinebench 2.0 and it ran all cores at 100% but with what I will use it for in video, it was running a lot slower than my other 12 core Xeon with ffmpeg so I had this brainwave (sic) I copied the ffmpeg version from this machine to the new one and it got faster so the moral to the story is "test under the same conditions with the same software.". Over 2 minutes faster.

None the less, without a water cooler, it was running in the high 60s to low 70s which is too hot so I will have to wait until I get the open frame and use a cooler i have to take from another box.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 05:48:37 PM »
Got the 2 fan water cooler onto it today, it benchmarks at the same speed as my other Xeon and with the water cooling while thrashing the guts out of it, just topped 50c which is about optimal. The OS is installed on a 250 gig SATA SSD but I have ordered a 500 gig NVME Samsung drive and when that turns up, I will move the OS over to it.

I am waiting on an open frame for the new computer, I have always wanted one as they are so much easier to work on, they have some outright cooling advantages and much greater ease of access. It is supposed to be in OZ now but with deliveries being overloaded, its not here yet.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2021, 04:44:43 PM »
NVME SSD turned up today, a half gig version Samsung 980 which is easily fast enough. The Minitool free version was squarking for money so I downloaded the Samsung software and trandferred the OS that way. The old SATA 440 SSD was cleaned with DISKPART and turned into drive B and all of the storage hardware is up and running.

As I don't have any good looking blondes to spend money on, I have ordered a Xeon E5-2697v3 from AliExpress which has come in at under $200 AU. A 14 core 2.5 to 3.6 gig CPU, A 28 thread grunter should be very useful for meat grinding MP4 video. It will probably not be any faster than the 12 core E5-2690v3 versions I have at the moment but it might have some advantages.

I am stilll waiting for the open frame from China at the moment and I confess I am really tired of endlessly waiting for bits to turn up. I got the NVME SSD from Amazon and it was delivered in 2 business days so if I can find the stuff I need, I will deal with Amazon a lot more.
hutch at movsd dot com

Gunther

• Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »
A 14 core 2.5 to 3.6 gig CPU, A 28 thread grunter should be very useful for meat grinding MP4 video.

That should be pretty useful in any case.

I am stilll waiting for the open frame from China at the moment and I confess I am really tired of endlessly waiting for bits to turn up. I got the NVME SSD from Amazon and it was delivered in 2 business days so if I can find the stuff I need, I will deal with Amazon a lot more.

Of course, Amazon is very convenient in many things - as far as hardware is concerned.
Get your facts first, and then you can distort them.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 11:13:06 PM »
I got tired of waiting for the open frame from China to turn up so I stuffed it into a can. Works OK, close enough to the other Xeon in speed terms so I guess it will be useful.

Board X99 Huananzhi
CPU Xeon E5-2690v3 12 core / 24 thread

Memory
64 gig 2 * 2666 and 2 * 3200 modules
CPU memory controller runs it as 2400

Storage
(a) Boots from an NVME 500 gig on the board
(b) 2 * 4tb drives
(c) 2 * 8tb drives

Appears that using the NVME drive stops 2 SATA plugs from working.
Could put in another NVME if it served any purpose

Network
1 gig ethernet seems to work OK and speed is normal

Video
Radeon RX 580 8 gig version absolutely not overclocked.

The deed is done.  :eusa_clap:
hutch at movsd dot com

TimoVJL

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2021, 12:46:24 AM »
Quite interesting system, don't even use fast memory.
HUANANZHI X99 F8
May the source be with you

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2021, 01:12:43 AM »
Hi Timo,

The Xeon's don't need fast memory, I just checked the Intel data sheet and the CPU runs memory at a max of 2133. Its basically a server chip where memory speed does not matter much, I use the X99 Xeons as they are easy to get and less than 10% of their original cost. I have 2 * 5820k i7s clocked at 4 gig and they are a nice enough machine to develop with, I use the Xeon's for processing video as the core count helps.

The X99 F8 board is a hybrid that can use either DDR3 or DDR4 where the one I have just finished takes 4 DDR4 modules only. Apparently the board can use ECC memory as well but I can routinely get DDR4 non ECC and there is no real gain in chasing it here in OZ.
hutch at movsd dot com

TimoVJL

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 01:42:11 AM »
If CPU have a big L3 cache, DDRAM speed just don't matter so much ?
May the source be with you

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
The spec sheet says its a 30 meg cache which makes sense for a server processor, its TDP is 135 watts but I have never seen one go anywhere near that high. At idle its about 2 watts. Its a locked CPU but has a spec of 2.6 to 3.5 gig and if I thrash it on all cores it run at just on 3 gig on all cores.

Its an OK machine for general purpose usage but its real power is in multithread work and this suites processing video. I may be free at last from building hardware for some time.
hutch at movsd dot com

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2021, 04:38:36 PM »
Here is a video detailing the project.

hutch at movsd dot com

Antariy

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 11:17:27 AM »

Hey, Gunther! Very glad to see you are found a time to be at forum again! Rarely myself appearing here, but know you were missed here for long, too! Suddenly saw your post in this topic (where I was going to ask Hutch about something) and could not resist to greet/salute you! :)

Antariy

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
Board X99 Huananzhi
CPU Xeon E5-2690v3 12 core / 24 thread

Hi Hutch, could you please declare, which model of M/B did you exactly used/bought? HuananZhi x99 BD4 - if to take it on the pictures imaged in the video (it's this NEW (just arrived) board you're talking about here in this thread is reviewed in the video, huh?)?

Have not you measured temperature on back side of M/B in the area of CPU VRM while doing stress-tests, how is it doing with this CPU?