Author Topic: How to be a GREAT programmer  (Read 2413 times)

Raistlin

How to be a GREAT programmer
« on: November 28, 2021, 05:40:23 AM »
Youtbube search criteria is:
How To Be A GREAT Programmer
By Continous Delivery
Critique:
This man has a book which is evident in the narrative.
The actual content is too (perhaps dreamed up ?) generalized with no proofs offered.
A referal to not think in terms of non specific architecture/techology as best
practise coding in actual targets, is naive.
Your thoughts ?
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

LiaoMi

Re: How to be a GREAT programmer
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2021, 10:08:33 AM »
Hi Raistlin,

hutch--

• Administrator
  • Mnemonic Driven API Grinder
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2021, 11:05:30 AM »
Hi Rudi, hope you and your better half are well.

I had a look at the site and listened to a sampling of it and while some of the advice made sense, I am not a generalist, I tend to be an accumulist of data over time. In computer terms this means learning the specifics of more than 1 language by accumulation and while you may influence one with another, to write it you must comprehend the language you are using and get it right.

Programming is not made up with a few generalisations, its made from many thousands of very specific instances of experiences that are remembered and while mixed combinations can be funny (try writing basic in MASM) that remembered "toolkit" is the base for writing software.
hutch at movsd dot com
http://www.masm32.com    :biggrin:  :skrewy:

Raistlin

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 02:08:35 AM »
Hutch, you are correct (to my understanding) in context as always.  :shhh:
Thanks Liaomi for the comic relief - much appreciated,
will definitely be showing my students those :thumbsup:

To my mind a GREAT programmer
1. Comments code
2. Is not afraid to try a different algorithm, metrics rule
3. Goes atomic in their implementations (functional) first
4. Builds libs that are bulletproof
5. Codes to the need and not the want
6. Is so passionate they spend time creating beauty
7. Shares freely what they know - and are not afraid to try new things
8. Have a certain elegance to logic flow - sexy to behold

Well thats just my mediocre take on it...on cellphone please excuse typos
Are you pondering what I'm pondering? It's time to take over the world ! - let's use ASSEMBLY...

daydreamer

• beer glass
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 03:50:27 AM »
@LiaoMi
some truth in that comic,when new java version or new cpp version require you to have updated knowledge of that version,otherwise it might break your old ways of coding
Rudi
speed is probably something many asm programmers like to have as speciality
so 2.learn new algorithms that are more suitable for parallel execution is important to me,than stay with good old algos that arent suitable for parallelism
6. is my goal to indirectly make tiny code that creates something beautiful ala demoscene
7. better at GUI coding,which is important in modern programs than good old console can be great to testrun/develop library,that can later be used in windows program ,better use of SIMT
otherwise 1thread used 100% on 32core cpu is ca 3% cpu usage
I also wanted to become better at web programming

SIMD fan and macro fan
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

Raistlin

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 04:47:33 AM »
@Daydreamer, "brotherly love, no kink" your code has always been to me (I have a wife btw, which you know) sexy - thus number 8 applies aswell - why skip.  :bgrin:

Siekmanski

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 05:51:45 AM »
 :biggrin:

1. Talent.
2. Understanding Mathematics.
3. Don't be afraid of your manager, convince him if he is wrong.  :cool:
4. Exclude unnecessary code.
5. Make a strategy on paper and work your way back.
6. Keep the code as simple as possible by simplifying the routines.
7. Think logical.
8. Understand everything you code. (don't forget to comment.)
9. Thinking outside the box to create fast and cool algorithms.
10. Share your knowledge and learn from the knowledge of others.
11. Have fun in your work.
12. Be nice to your colleagues.  :thumbsup:
Creative coders use backward thinking techniques as a strategy.

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 05:55:14 AM »
Ah Rudi,

Anyone who can make a forum post with a mobile phone is a brave and dedicated man. I hate the damned things, I keep one on my computer table for 2 stage authentication and keep no personal or financial information on it. I think our state government got the hint about contact tracing and issued a card that shops and other vendors can scan instead.

Now for the technical, a minor variant of Occam's Razor, never code more than you have to to make the code perform exactly what it is designed to do.
hutch at movsd dot com

Raistlin

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2021, 06:29:29 AM »
@Hutch- absolutely brilliant, not the cellphone stuff, because
that is a known pandora's box (lol). The latter dear sir, is gold.  Then also Siekmanski......What can I say?  I cant. Much feelings brother, from me and the wife, as to all our friends here whom helped and advised through the many years.  Sorry, I am a bit nostalgic tonight. Please forgive.

mineiro

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »
0- Assume that everything will go wrong.
1- Cognition, feeling.
2- ordenation, structure, context (environment) and harmony.
3- Rhetoric, grammar, (how to write and read), logic (sequential, organizational)
4- arithmetic (number theory), geometry (space theory), music (number theory application), astronomy (space theory application)

A program to communicate with extraterrestrials/animals/... . How to proceed?
The beginning is to recognize patterns (0,1,2). Afterwards, read the signals (3,4) emitted, imitate them, repeat them.

To be a great programmer we need first be a great person, high personality level. There's a theory about "12 personality layers".
https://saintjerome.substack.com/p/the-12-layers-of-personality
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

Raistlin

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2021, 06:13:39 AM »
Hail mineiro, you obviously have put loads of thought into this. Please PM me. I am tickled, though I do not feel comfortable in the qualitatative space. Love point zero = Murphy's laws vibes

mineiro

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2021, 11:25:59 AM »
Hail Sir Raistlin;

People when they think about programming tend to think about machines; begins with the nominalist theory of Occam, Pythagoras who recognized numbers in Nature, finite automata, Pascal's calculator, John Von Neumann, ... .
In contrast to the mechanical arts, in the Middle Ages the education system was based on liberal arts, which made the individual reach an intellectual capacity based on trivium (3) and quadrivium (4).
In the contemporary Era we tend to view programming more broadly, the body becomes the machine. If the individual becomes a mere machine, an object, it can be programmed. Here I refer to neuro-linguistic programming, rapport, subliminal messages, inductions, ..., as forms of programming.

We live in an Operating System, there is executive (processor), legislative (calling conventions, ABI), judiciary (memory protection, loader).
From a human perspective, we first need to condition our mind to program the body. This becomes so natural that after this layer, the automation takes place, we no longer think to move parts of the body. After, we perceive the external world (external devices), we must learn to relate (calling convention) with other people (objects/libraries), and this includes different languages ​​(c,pascall, basic, ...). In the next layer we see ourselves as beings in a society (OS), we understand about past and future (ROM,RAM)... .

An example is comments. A novice comments what the instruction does instead of what the function does, the code is spaghetti, you don't know where it starts or where it ends. In the next layer comments on the parameters of the function being called and what the function does. In another layer, it organizes and structures the code better, comments on what the function developed by it performs. In another layer, we think outside the box, correlate other learnings with the desired objective, create hierarchical objects, ... . Next layer we perceive faults on system and we correct that. Next layer we create our own system. Next layer, we don't care anymore, reached a simbiosis, an ambulant metamorphosis. Next layer comes metaphisical transcendence, ... .

Programming is not conditioned only to inanimate machines, that was the intention of my previous message.
I'd rather be this ambulant metamorphosis than to have that old opinion about everything

daydreamer

• beer glass
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2021, 12:40:36 AM »
interesting it was women working in banks before Von Neumann invented computer that performed lots of calculations for customers by hand,maybe with help of simple mechanical calculator with ala sliding different balls in a machine
HLL programmers have abstract or concrete bugs,in nature there exists Ladybugs
there was interesting program of a teenager made a martian robot in a NASA competition,he used a very tiny % compared to an insects neural network for its "brain",inspired by human brain
amazing is we "selfprogram" ourselves for all kinds of tasks,learning to talk,walk from the beginning a baby's brain is ready to learn any human language
spaghetti code was nicknamed from BASIC with line numbers and the need to find new unused line numbers to use and ended up in gotos/gosubs everywhere when you added things to code,compared the abstraction of none line number languages,but under the hood its jmp/calls/conditional jumps to different line adresses anyway

« Last Edit: December 05, 2021, 06:36:01 AM by daydreamer »
SIMD fan and macro fan
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."

hutch--

• Administrator
    • The MASM32 SDK
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2021, 06:56:00 AM »
magnus,

Coule we encourage you not to use large block quotations as no-one reads them and they make the topic hard to read ?
hutch at movsd dot com

daydreamer

• beer glass
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2021, 06:37:19 AM »
magnus,

Coule we encourage you not to use large block quotations as no-one reads them and they make the topic hard to read ?
Edited,removed large block quotation
SIMD fan and macro fan
I am an Invoker