News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

How do I debug a DOS Driver?

Started by Shintaro, February 20, 2022, 06:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shintaro

I copied the code from Expanding DOS for EMSDISK, and obviously made an error somewhere.
Tried it on MS-DOS 5 and 6.0,6.11.

Also I needed to turn MASM 5.1 compatibility on when compiling under MASM 6Something with the way the STRUC is layed out?
In the config.sys after emm386
device=c:\emsdisk.sys 512k

Error:
"Expanded memory allocation failed"

The problem is, it doesn't have a stack and starting location.
Do I leave it as an exe?

Code is attached.
"Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable."

_japheth

There exist debuggers that are loaded as device drivers, thus they can debug other drivers. For example, see https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/DOS-debug. Please read the docs carefully, the device driver version is DebugXG.com

The problem is, it doesn't have a stack and starting location.
Do I leave it as an exe?

DOS device drivers need not define a stack, they use the stack of the caller.
As it is described in the source, the .EXE is supposed to be converted to a .SYS by tool EXE2BIN.
Dummheit, gepaart mit Dreistigkeit - eine furchtbare Macht.

_japheth

Quote from: Shintaro on February 20, 2022, 06:26:02 PM
Code is attached.

I tried it. There are problems, though:

1. wrong register used to call EMM

;init74: mov     al,43h    ;original line
init74: mov     ah,43h    ;adjusted. register AH must be used to allocate EMS memory!!!!
mov     bx,ownedp
int     emm_int

2. After this modification, the driver loads, but very soon an "overflow" error occurs. Looks like this driver works with MS-DOS v3.3 (only)?

Shintaro

Thanks mate for your help. I do appreciate it.
Strange that it only runs in MS-DOS 3.3 (1987), the book was out in 1992. So I would have thought MS-DOS 5.0 at least.
I'll run up a VM and see what happens.

Shintaro

Quote from: _japheth on February 20, 2022, 09:13:02 PM

There exist debuggers that are loaded as device drivers, thus they can debug other drivers. For example, see https://github.com/Baron-von-Riedesel/DOS-debug. Please read the docs carefully, the device driver version is DebugXG.com

Mate, I have compiled DebugXG.exe and loaded it in the config.sys. But that is as far as I am able to work it out. DebugXG.exe doesn't seem to catch a crashing program, unlike SoftICE.I looked at the instructions for some way to communicate with the loaded DebugXG, but couldn't find anything.
Am I doing something wrong? Missing something? Or maybe this is just beyond my understanding at the moment?

_japheth

Mate, I have compiled DebugXG.exe and loaded it in the config.sys. But that is as far as I am able to work it out. DebugXG.exe doesn't seem to catch a crashing program, unlike SoftICE.I looked at the instructions for some way to communicate with the loaded DebugXG, but couldn't find anything.
Am I doing something wrong? Missing something? Or maybe this is just beyond my understanding at the moment?

I guess so - better don't use tools that you haven't fully understood yet or that you cannot handle "left-handedly".

Debug is a simple debugger, it has no ( or little ) "post-mortem analysing" capabilities, compared to SoftIce. What do you expect from a 20 kB program? In the case of DebugXG, to debug a device driver, it is supposed that you insert a breakpoint ( "int 3" ) into your driver that has to be debugged, the debugger will then "pop up" when that breakpoint is reached. That's it.

Generally, in real-mode, "post-mortem" capabilities are far less useful than in protected-mode - simple because IT IS NOT protected-mode. Or, in other words, when the crash occurs, it's usually far too late in real-mode to get any idea about what may have caused the crash.

Shintaro

Quote from: _japheth on March 01, 2022, 05:27:50 PM

I guess so - better don't use tools that you haven't fully understood yet or that you cannot handle "left-handedly".

Debug is a simple debugger, it has no ( or little ) "post-mortem analysing" capabilities, compared to SoftIce. What do you expect from a 20 kB program? In the case of DebugXG, to debug a device driver, it is supposed that you insert a breakpoint ( "int 3" ) into your driver that has to be debugged, the debugger will then "pop up" when that breakpoint is reached. That's it.
What is "left-handedly"?
Mate, all you needed to say was insert "int 3" in your program and go from there. I must have missed it in the docs.
I may have known that, but the last serious attempt at ASM in MS-DOS was 1990.

I was looking for something that I would set in DebugXG, but it is the other way around, all good.
That obviously saves time as the recommendations that I have read (Advanced MS-DOS Programming Ray Duncan), direct people to debug in parts.

Most likely there will be plenty of "obvious" things that I will miss, that people with a lot more experience will roll their eyes at.
But, I am fine with that. I just want to learn.

I do appreciate your responce and patience.

_japheth

Quote from: Shintaro on March 01, 2022, 08:05:55 PM
What is "left-handedly"?

It's the German expression "etwas mit links erledigen" translated to English, perhaps a bit too literally - I couldn't remember the appropriate English analogy.

Shintaro

Quote from: _japheth on March 01, 2022, 09:35:10 PM
Quote from: Shintaro on March 01, 2022, 08:05:55 PM
What is "left-handedly"?

It's the German expression "etwas mit links erledigen" translated to English, perhaps a bit too literally - I couldn't remember the appropriate English analogy.

Ah, I understand.
But in order to be able to do it so easily as with the "Left hand", it requires practise first.

Gunther

Andreas,

Quote from: _japheth on March 01, 2022, 09:35:10 PM

that's hard to translate. But what about doing it blindfold?

But no offense intended. Your answer was, of course, absolutely correct.

Quote from: Shintaro on March 01, 2022, 09:40:32 PM
But in order to be able to do it so easily as with the "Left hand", it requires practise first.
That's as sure as the amen in a church. But you're on a good path. :thumbsup:
You have to know the facts before you can distort them.