News:

Masm32 SDK description, downloads and other helpful links
Message to All Guests

Main Menu

Lucky with a pair of donated loudspeakers

Started by hutch--, March 08, 2022, 04:42:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hutch--

On my main box I use a 100 watt RMS stereo amplifier and for many years use a pair of speakers that I rebuilt something like 20 years ago. I noticed I was only getting one channel so I did the normal diagnostics and found one of the speakers had lost its base driver. I opened the speaker box and the wiring was still sound so it was the base speaker that had clapped out and only after 20 or so years.  :tongue:

Some years ago I inherited a pair of bookshelf speakers from someone who was moving out of the area so I fished them out, dusted them off and found they were a pair of good quality TEAC speakers. Wired them up and they work surprisingly well. I may buy a matching pair of 8 inch base drivers and repair the old pair of speakers but there is no great need to do so.

Greenhorn

No speakers here, only headphones.

I'm using an ASUS Xonar Essence STX HiFi sound card. It has an integrated headphone amplifier and one can connect hesadphones via 6,3mm chinch up to 600 Ω. Best sound card ever!

Unfortunately this card is not available on the market anymore, so it has to last the next 100 years or so ...
Kole Feut un Nordenwind gift en krusen Büdel un en lütten Pint.

hutch--

You are lucky you can use headphones, they make my head ache. I have cleaned up the old speaker boxes and I am waiting for a pair of 8 inch base driver speakers. The old speaker boxes cleaned up OK so they are worth putting some new speakers in. While I was at it I needed another power amp so I added that as well.  :biggrin:

daydreamer

I have some old speakers with subwoofer set for computer, too much watt are a sure way to get evicted, not like old days car stereo with big bass speakers and many 100 watts, you could feel bass beat in your body
Best way I use headphones for gaming,  not disturb anyone when times fly and suddenly it's late night,good surprise new laptop also support Bluetooth, better than risk wired headphones accidentally drag laptop drop in the hard floor when needing to pause gaming for eat and drink
Had 6 channel sound card on my old box,enough for surround sound, but I never used it

my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

TimoVJL

I have an old Yamaha home theatre amplifier 7 channels, 90w per channel, or 200 W per channel stereo with OR speakers and swedish made pianofortes subwoofer, 200 W, a collectors dream, in perfect condition.
My set can provide 98 db in living room.
So, when i lisiten Chris's The Road To Hell, i can really feel that.
AudioPro subwoofers 200W is propably now collection stuff.

May the source be with you

hutch--

Hi Timo,

Sounds like good stuff, often the older power amps are better performers than much of the later stuff. For a computer sound system, I don't really want massive volume so a 100 watt RMS power amp and a pair of bookshelf speakers is plenty loud enough, I have to keep it turned down.

I still have down stairs some museum pieces, a 1966 English made Radford STA 15 valve amplifier running a pair of 15 inch antique speakers and if you rock it up, it just about moves the building around but I have to live with my neighbors so it rarely ever gets powered up. The Radford is very rare and you never tell collectors as they start to hassle you to buy it.

I bought off a Kiwi guy up the road, 2 pairs of English KEF speakers but they are too big to use on a computer, would knock your head off if it was run from a computer at close range.

Glad there is someone among our members who has some decent HIFI equipment.  :thumbsup:

My new 125 watt power amp and 2 x 8 inch base drivers just turned up this morning. Must now rebuild my old pair of speaker boxes.

daydreamer

Timo when I had car hobby as young, beside tune engine to most hp,local electronic store had highest decibel contest for car stereo, not only several best amplifiers,but trunk was full of bass box with right measurement amplify more
my none asm creations
https://masm32.com/board/index.php?topic=6937.msg74303#msg74303
I am an Invoker
"An Invoker is a mage who specializes in the manipulation of raw and elemental energies."
Like SIMD coding

TimoVJL

Yamaha and Technics are HiFi amplifiers and OR and AudioPro a bit different than those car audio things.
I have some Pioneers for cars.
Some of us have burned a some of those big 15" speakesrs, that are for 250 W RMS and have a very good db/W values, like 94 db/W, nbut don't smell good, when those burn.
And thing is, tohose burned ones can used as passive elements, smells bad , but works :biggrin:
Yamaha is quite big and heavy, not something as those slim digital ones.
May the source be with you